Just How Important is the CO Visit For The R&F?

by sacolton 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sacolton
    sacolton

CO is visiting this week and they stress not to miss a meeting during his stay. You'd think God Himself was in town. What's the big deal? I can understand the importance for the Elders, but why the R&F?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I wondered the same when I was in.

Everybody used to get in a flurry about working with him or his wife.

Much ado about nothing was the way I saw it.

Sylvia

• blondie
    blondie

In the past, the CO had 3 additional talks on Tuesday, after the total congregation book study, and after the WT study. Sometimes he would drop bits of info that seemed to give you an insider's viewpoint and some went off the grid with their personal views. But the WTS tries to keep a close rein on them and even these talks are a WT outline though not a manuscript.

It is a time for baptized brothers to suck up to the CO to qualify for "privileges" and some rank and file "go over the heads of the elders" and get his view on a problem they are having with the elder body.

Blondie

• undercover
    undercover

The CO is a corporate sales manager coming to inspect the local division. The latest in sales techniques will be discussed. Maybe some extra sales meetings to introduce the new ideas and to fire up the troops in to working a little harder. He may also bring some news from headquarters that he'll spin to make it look like the company is highly profitable.

To the average employee, it doesn't mean much. But to those in management or hoping to join management, this is the time to kiss some ass and hope to be remembered when corporate looks to promote someone.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Undercover is right on the money.

The C.O. visit is a way to re-invigorate the Rank 'n File into doing more in the ministry. Most of the congregation will show up for Saturday service, and some JWs who work full-time will take a day (or half-day) off to go in service with the C.O. This is especially prevalent among men jockeying for promotions (MS/elder/service committee/assembly speaker/etc...).

Looking at it from the outside, it's funny how excited JWs get about the C.O. visit. I think it's a result of how painfully boring the JW experience is. Really, anything to break the monotony is welcomed.

• sir82
    sir82

It's a different speaker than "the usual".

About 10% or so of COs are pretty decent speakers - which is about 5 times the success rate of other elders as speakers. So people get excited about that too.

• still_in74
    still_in74

i missed a night of the CO visit a few months ago and half the KH asked me where i was.

Uhm......... i forgot and thought it was just a normal meeting?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1
    You'd think God Himself was in town.

You got that sh!t right!! They just had the CO visit here and the in-laws and my wifey were just estatic...geesh...give me a break!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The CO is a corporate sales manager coming to inspect the local division. The latest in sales techniques will be discussed. Maybe some extra sales meetings to introduce the new ideas and to fire up the troops in to working a little harder. He may also bring some news from headquarters that he'll spin to make it look like the company is highly profitable.

It's a bit more than that to the average rank & file member. It is the corporate sales
    manager to God's representative on earth. It's the only contact the lowly have with
    headquarters. It's like it's the r&f channel to the channel.

Even though it's all run as a publishing corporation that sells literature, the view from
    the bottom is more like the military. The C.O. is like the admiral of the fleet or the
    general of the army division, and the president is way too busy for the troops. The
    C.O. is the closest they will get to the president (or to God).

The talks are supposed to be from HQ, and have a reflection on what they know.
    The r&f are able to give him green handshakes and feed him to show HQ how deserving
    they are of everlasting life. The talk on Sunday is chosen by HQ specially for the
    sales force.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

For as long as I can remember,the C/O Visit was a big deal!..They always stayed with my parents..And..Never left without a Green Hand Shake.................Laughing Mutley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit