JWs say its impossible for "worldly people" to be happy

by shopaholic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

True happiness comes from when you're in control of everything in your life, everything you know in life to be true can be confirmed as true, being free to access as much information as you want, since we're beings that thrive on the exchange of information, being free to do whatever you want to do and to do whatever you don't want to do and achieving your goals. Sometimes, you sacrifice a bit of freedom to achieve your goals, but only if the goals ensure more freedom and control of your own destiny in the future.

Being a JW, you're never in control of your life because you have an outside force controlling everything. Sure, there will be a few whose lives have been screwed up so badly that going to a high control faith gives them that sacrifice of freedom that adds to their goal of finding peace, but in reality, it's only a delusion they put themselves through. They will sooner or later feel constricted by the outside force once they find control of their lives. Either that or somebody will make a compelling argument in due time about why their fantasy world of super-virtuous men in Brooklyn doesn't exist. Both will give them instances of cognitive dissonance, which in turn, will cause unhappiness. Some people counter CD by restricting themselves from reading critical material or listening to conflicting arguments and pretending as though they don't exist.

All it does is it makes a person sacrifice his freedom to access information, which in turn adds to more unhappiness. The most pragmatic and open minded people in the world tend to be the most happy because they're simply out for the truth, freedom and individuality. There are no JWs that are pragmatic, hence, they will never be happy.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'm really very happy and I'm not a JW. I know I'm happier as a 'worldly person' exactly because when I was a JW I was so depressed I needed antidepressants, and now I don't. Pretty simple for me.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

It's funny how they can be so sure of something without experiencing it. I have notice that my non-JW friends are happier then most of the JW that I know. I know some non-JW that do not follow "biblical morals" and are happy also.

If JW really think that you must be a JW to be really happy, how do they explain all the JW that are on antidepressant medication? I think about 60-70% of the JW I know are on them.

I am much happier since I left the JW.

• still_in74
    still_in74

I sat at Mcdonalds one day and watched a 12 year old boy sit down with his father at their table and say "Grace" before eating his meal. A "worldly" boy says grace?

Yes, beleive it or not some "worldly" poeple believe in god and have morals. I have been to weddings where the B&G both waited for marriage. This is so impossible for JW's to even contemplate because they are told daily that the world around them is pure filfth, that EVERYONE is unhappy and debaucherous.

I KNOW JW's that have swung, (cough* Tilsonburg ONT. right now!) I KNOW JW's that cheated only to get DF'd, get married and reinstated toghether. I KNOW JW's that have killed themselves - even a CO. I KNOW tons of JW's that are depressed and WHO DOESNT KNOW a dozen JW's that arent alcoholics? I KNOW an elder that recently died from alcoholism at 48 years of age.

yes, JW's are so happy..... everyone else is just faking it.

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Hi, I just wanted to bump this thread up. I totally agree that JWs are not happy. I have been one my whole life there is so much that I have seen that it has caused me such depression. Oh my word could I go on. It is so hard to see hateful things happening and not to be able to stop it. I am told just leave it alone Jehovah will take care of it, or it is not Jehovah's time to take care of it, or you do not want to run ahead of Jehovah, or the elders who Jehovah has placed their. You need to trust the elders, Jehovah is using them and when really bad things happen and nothing is done then people get really hurt and I come back and ask why was something not done, first I am told I do not know my place well not really told but I know I am just a dumb woman and than I am told to let it go. Just let it go let it go let it go. Jehovah must have been teasting that person. YOU NEED TO LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am like this person is so hurt and bleeding and it did not have to happen why did it happen the elders knew. Well only Jehovah knows why he allows things to happen there must be a reason. Their reasoning is so insane it just drives you crazy. It is so crazy making.

The people I work for are all happy for the most part way happier than most JW's I know. They have good lifes and they do not sleep around their kids are happy way happier than most JW's I could go on and on. When I tell my husband that he says well the people you work for are not normal. What I have worked for about 35 different familes and not one suffers the sadness I do. I am so sad it is unreal and it is just so insane his reasoing. I am in the HAPPY religon right. No I am in the insane religion It is so insane it makes me mad.Well I am done venting but this is so crazy making I could just scream.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit