JWs say its impossible for "worldly people" to be happy

by shopaholic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I can tell you that in my wife's family (98% JWS) only the non-jws are approachable.

in-laws have problems galore, and others are lazy/drunks/swindlers!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

This is simply a cultic fear tactic to keep jws from getting out of the cult....period.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

covering up for their own sad little lives

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Watchtower encourages that thinking as an isolationist technique.
                    Watchtower 1999 October 1 p. 8 "They are actually the happiest group of people on earth. …There is abundant evidence to show that this description fits Jehovah's Witnesses, collectively, better than it does any other religious organization."
                    Kingdom Ministry 2002 p.1 The Happiest People on Earth "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!" (Ps. 144:15) Those words describe Jehovah's Witnesses as the happiest people on earth. … Help Others Find Happiness: The world is filled with unhappiness, and people generally have a gloomy outlook on the future. However, we have a bright outlook, knowing that one day all sadness will be a thing of the past."

Watchtower 1994 October 1 pp.10-15 "So while God's servants cannot expect supreme happiness at this present time, they can obtain happiness that is not enjoyed by those who do not serve God."

Watchtower 1961 May 15 p.297 "It is therefore not strange that so many people in the world take note of the happiness of Jehovah's people. Indeed, it is a factor that draws many persons to associate with us."

Research confirms that over half the general population consider themselves happy. How does the Watchtower address studies that show worldly people are happy? The following article uses some unusual reasoning.

Awake! 1982 April 22 p.15 So Much "Happiness"-A Sign of What? "Thirty percent of the people who responded said they were very happy …. It merely shows that perhaps the majority of the people have either failed to recognize the meaning of what is happening, or they have deliberately chosen to ignore it."
                • verystupid77
                  verystupid77

Shop you are right on. Oh how many fights I have had with my husband over this kind of thinking. Only JW's are happy but most are so depressed it is unreal. Or they are crazy. And I mean crazy. I often think what in the world the poor householder at the door must be think having this person who makes no sense talking to them about God, and wasting their time.

I just do not understand how they think they have the truth and feel that everyone is going to die from their God of love. It is just oh so unloving thinking. vs77

• eyeslice
                  eyeslice

Happiness is a state of mind and what this is and how to obtain is very complex.

I know a lot of happy JWs but on the other hand I have seen a lot of unhappiness. A lot of this is inflicted by the organization itself - I have seen a lot of extreme unhappiness in Judicial Committee meetings.

Sine leaving, I have given a number of current JWs a copy of the book 'Stop Thinking and Start Living' to depressed current Witnesses. Quite a different take on finding inner happiness than the guilt trip 'you must do more' dished out by the Society.

• WTWizard
                  WTWizard

This is the "happiness" I have observed of people that were pio-sneers:

First, they get to the meeting for field circus every morning. Of course, they are a good 15 minutes late, struggling to get up. They are depending on that cup of coffee to get going. Then they will poke their way through the meeting, after which they will start their time and then poke their way to the territory. Do one side of a street, spend half an hour warming up or deciding where to go next. Obviously, there is absolutely no joy among any of them.

On top of that, how the hell can anyone possibly be happy by always being told every little thing to do? I have seen many people on these boards describing their lives while within as hell, and that they felt liberated when they quit. And they have observed people taking drugs (the prescription kind) to just keep going. To me, that is far more fake a happiness than the joy of celebrating holidays.

People actually get more happiness when they are doing something that is going to make a real difference in the world. If people do things to create value in the world, that is what makes them happy. The witlesses do not do that. Hence, it is impossible for Jehovah's Witlesses that are "whole souled" to be happy.

• is there help out there
                  is there help out there

If JW are happy then why are so many on anti depressents. He cookie monster baked some chorklet chip cookies yestorday and is very happy. I eat then while watching seasean street. The best ones are where they teach you how to spell.

• I quit!
                  I quit!

"Jehovah's people are a happy people" I must have hear that hundreds of times. And when I first got involve it seemed that way. Everyone at the hall was grinning from ear to ear. I thought I was learning new and wonderful things. After I was there a while I started to see through the facade but at the same time I guess I was building my own facade about being one of Jehovah's happy people. Maybe some of the long term JWs are really happy there but I don't see how they could be with all the changes like 1914 and 1975 really coming to nothing. A large part of my family on my wife's side are JWs and I hear all the problems and believe me they aren't happy. There is divorce, mental illness, depression, even suicide, all the things I was told being a witness would get you away from. When I drive by them and see them doing their field service they don't look at all happy. Is it possible to walk any slower than they do without going backwards? I can tell they don't really want to be out there. Once I left I became a lot happier. Not always happy but one of the things that made me happier was not having to pretend I was when I wasn't.

One thing I remember that strikes me as funny now but wasn't at the time was when I went to an elder (later to become a circuit overseer) and told him I was depressed and needed help. He told me I wasn't spending enough time in service and wasn't spending enough time reading the society's publications. There was no offer of prayer or getting together and doing something fun and no follow-up on his part. Fortunately I later found out that those were the very things that were depressing me and gave them up entirely and life got a lot better.

• treadnh2o
                  treadnh2o

Since I have called B.S. on the dubs-

I'm truly happy- My JW wife is not.

Case Closed!

Share this

Google+
                Pinterest
                Reddit