JWs say its impossible for "worldly people" to be happy

by shopaholic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I've had 3 different JWs tell me this over the past few weeks.

Basically their thinking is non-JWs are not happy and when they appear to be its not real, its not a true happiness. According to them, non-JWs use drugs, alcohol and wild sex to make themselves happy. I mentioned that the same can be said about some JWs and that I know lots of non-JWs that do not lead this type of lifestyle but are very active in the community and do lots of charity work and have healthy well-rounded families. The response from each of them was that "worldly people may pretend to be happy by throwing themselves into charity work and community service to avoid facing the real issues. Shop, its impossible to be happy without Jehovah. When it comes down to it, Jehovah will get rid of all of them. Their charity work can't save them and it won't save you." This verbatim from one but the others gave very similar responses and they don't even know each other.

HOW CRAZY IS THAT? Actually its more sad than crazy.

I told one of them to think about, if you're an upstanding citizen in sound mental and physical health, with a good family and plenty of friends and you actively work to make the world a better place that its impossible to be truly happy and that you will die because you don't go to the KH. She replied with a definitive "Yes". I told her I don't buy it anymore. I'm sure its going to result in a few phone calls from elders or the end of the friendship. I'm sure she'll try to save me first.

Let me tell you guys something, since I've started "widening out" the more I realize that there a lot of upstanding non-JWs. I've met a number of folks that don't use drugs, profanity or have wild sex parties and didn't have sex until they were married (this actually surprised me) so JWs don't have a monopoly on religious morals.

It really hit home that JWs are very much like the movie "The Village". If you saw the movie then you know what I'm talking about.

This may seem trivial but thought it might help someone by sharing this. Plus it was theraputic for me because when you share stuff like this with non-JWs they look at you like you're crazy...kind of like the way I look at JWs now .

So do you guys know any happy "worldly people" or all they all druggies and sex addicts pretending to be happy?

Shop.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I would guess that most JWs drink more than me. You can count on one hand the number of drinks I have in any given month, and never more than 2 in one evening. I take only dugs that my doctor has prescribed. No sex at all happening around here. Those worthless cultists have no business pointing their fingers at anyone as long as they protect pedophiles. They are the ones who have failed to live up to my standards, not the other way around. W

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    Let me tell you guys something, since I've started "widening out" the more I realize that there a lot of upstanding non-JWs. I've met a number of folks that don't use drugs, profanity or have wild sex parties and didn't have sex until they were married (this actually surprised me) so JWs don't have a monopoly on religious morals.

This fact became very apparent upon visiting a couple of churches and getting to know the members. It is also the case with many non-religious friends that I have.

Most JWs have never attended any other churches or spiritual groups. If they ever bothered to, they could simply write off the happy people as being under Satan's influence. JWs are very good at having it both ways. When "worldly" people are enmeshed in drug use, abusive relationships, and crime, they point out how Satan's system is ruining their lives. But, if someone is very happy and properous, they can simply say that Satan's system is rewarding them.

Living in a closed society (whereby all of your associates hold identical beliefs and worldview) is self-affirming, and self-elevating. One can lament the hopeless state of the outside world from inside the confines of the group while conveniently avoiding disconfirming evidence that might be encountered outside of it.

• Trying2understand
    Trying2understand

This is a really good post.

I'm a non-Jehovah, a non practicing Agnostic to be exact that lives a very conservative lifestyle. I was raised with love and was taught to treat people the way that I want to be treated. I always try to think of the consequences before making a decision. It really does help. I don't drink(once in the blue moon, I will have a baileys) or drink. I also have been with the same man since I was 17, I am now 33. I constantly have people tell me what a wonderful job that I have done on my daughter. I even have a friend( It seems like we are attracted to these guys. LOL!) that is a disfellowshipped JWS(also an x elder) and he constantly tells me that I am such a good mom. I'm like see, you can be a wonderful person without having to be a part of a religion. I also have a friend that I have known since 3rd grade and she told me the other day that you are the only family that I know that really has it together out of all of my friends. Well, now, I don't feel like it's been that way because of a Jehovah's Witness..................................................... Reason listed below.

My household was pretty happy until my daughters Disfellowshipped JWS now x boyfriend started pulling his mental games. It hurt my daughter, along with myself and my husband. I always wanted my daughter to live a happy normal life. That changed after he started acting weird and I decided to break them up. I was amazed that he came back because I pretty much told him that he was in a cult and i will not go into the rest of the detail. I felt so bad because I didn't know a lot about this evil religion. He came back after a month and they went out for about 3 months and then he decided that he wanted to get reinstated and had to break up with her until he gets back in. Then he says I don't know if we will ever get back together because you and your mom don't believe in my religion. I surely don't, but my daughter was like I have to respect it because of you. He is now telling her that he loves her and misses her. Today he texted her and said that he wants to get back together. It is so fricken mental, that it isn't even funny. They love to play with the mind and keep you hanging. I am trying to tell her that the boy is messed up and needs to find out what HE really wants for himself before going and saying all of these things to her. There is so much to the story, but it would take forever to type. I have posts up from our lovely experience(NOT!!!) as well. I can tell you from experience, JWS can destroy a household and the sad part, it doesn't even faze them any. : ( I am mentally drained from all of this, so if some of this doesn't make any since, please forgive me. : )

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Which is one sign that the WTS is operating a cult. Demonize the rest of the world and claim that the only path to happiness is through them. Cult 101 stuff.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Shop

I've never met a "happy" JW!

Then again, how do you and the JWs define "Happiness"?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Thanks for the responses.

Finally-Free: You're right, they should not point fingers at anyone. They have enough faults of their own.

Jeremy C: What you write about living in a closed society is so true. When a JW takes the time to get know a non-JW and they turn out to be on the upstanding they simply say that its a shame their not a JW and won't make it into the new world. Once you step outside of the confines of the JW village you can see how disturbed the religion really is.

Trying: Your post makes total sense. Sorry about the agony you're going through now. Hopefully, your daughter will RUN from this guy. Its horrible to have an undecided df'd or inactive JW playing with your emotions. If she plans to have children and want them to have a normal life again she should RUN and find her a nice "wordly man".

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

No Witnessing....Meetings...conventions....boring magazines.....Nah, I feel a hell of a lot happier!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    According to them, non-JWs use drugs, alcohol and wild sex to make themselves happy.

It's my experience that people are actually describing themselves when they make statements like that.

• shamus100
    shamus100

That's why JW's are forbidden to assosiate outside of the kingdumb hall. They're eyes might actually get opened as to what the world is really like - people living normal every-day lives. Religious and non, happy. Not drunks, druggies, thieves, liars. Just normal, happy, nice friendly people.

Jehovahs Witnesses are socially ignorant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit