Depression or Recession?

by lisavegas420 52 Replies latest social current

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Dave Ramsey is one of my heroes

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Indeed which is essentially stealing from the Chinese who hold dollars. Will they stand for theft on such a massive scale?

They probably will. They have been playing a currency game of their own for many years. War would hurt them far more than a drop in the real value of their dollar holdings. Ultimately, they need to keep their domestic growth engine running to maintain their restive population docile. This is their biggest threat. Of course, now that I think of it, war is a pretty good distraction.......

Nah, all out war between nuclear powers is lose/lose. Some proxy scenario might not be however.

BTS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes the Chinese can not have it all ways. They have been keeping their currency artificially low - they need to let it float and find its true value

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I hope that the "bubble" era is over. When people were making loads of money in the 1990's off of silly internet startups, I thought to myself, this isn't grounded in reality. When people were making loads of money in the 2000's off of flipping houses and silly real estate speculation, I thought to myself, this isn't grounded in reality. When the Dow went above 10k, then 12k, then 14k, I thought to myself, this isn't grounded in reality.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I hope that the "bubble" era is over. When people were making loads of money in the 1990's off of silly internet startups, I thought to myself, this isn't grounded in reality. When people were making loads of money in the 2000's off of flipping houses and silly real estate speculation, I thought to myself, this isn't grounded in reality. When the Dow went above 10k, then 12k, then 14k, I thought to myself, this isn't grounded in reality.

Only trust something planted in 100% pure reality soil.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I hope that the "bubble" era is over.

Never.

Warlock

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    went to Jobs and Family Resources yesterday. The man I talked to said the country is not in a recession like the president said on December 1st. He said we are in a depression, much like 1947. He said things will continue like this for decades.

Same here. They don't even bother to help your - they advise moving to another state like Wyoming where there is still work. November 550,000 jobs - half a million jobs gone in one month alone! Number of people on food stamps is up 8 million and it's now 40 million ....did you see the article in the Denver paper about the 40,000 people that turned out to pick the free vegetables from the farmers fields?

Bush didn't know what a scanner was in a store - he doesn't have a clue what shopping entails or what it costs - how would he even know what a recession or a depression meant?

Two million people and up will have lost jobs in this past year - for every job, the statisticians multiply it by 4 to average out the number of people affected..that means statistically speaking thats about 8 million people that will recieve or need government assistance from food and housing to medical costs. As that number increases - so does the amount of cash needed to feed the population....

I think with Obama in charge however, things will improve...slowly but surely.....sammieswife.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    I hope that the "bubble" era is over.

Never.

Warlock

We'll come full circle back to a tulip bubble someday.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I vividly recall the Carter years and the 80's. ( who could forget the gas lines?) My hubby was unemployed for 1.5 yrs and we lost a house. He had three jobs, one being a school crossing guard , putting out signs for houses and mowing lawns.I spent my time looking for assistance to pay the light bill and food. In this area they were almost nonexistent at that time. I recall a thrift store that had food. You had to go in and beg for help. They had threats from the Bible all over the walls. Our kids were out mowing lawns and we hustled. We survived. I do not look forward to this but I know we have the strength to survive. My father lived through the Great Depression and it left a mark on him. He was always trying pay off all the bills and " hunker down" as he would say and hope to survive. To "hunker down" means you pay your bills and that is it. You eat beans and TV is your entertainment. You wear used clothes and seldom see a doctor. You did not throw away anything. If you have ever read "The Grapes of Wrath" it will give you an idea of the depression. My father and grandparents lived through that. There are so many things we feel we must have,we have a right to. We will just have to adjust our priorities.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

i say Recessions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit