Depression or Recession?

by lisavegas420 52 Replies latest social current

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I went to Jobs and Family Resources yesterday. The man I talked to said the country is not in a recession like the president said on December 1st. He said we are in a depression, much like 1947. He said things will continue like this for decades.

He told me what resourses they had available, like help with resume' updating. As in I need a resume for each job I apply for. Resume's are fed into a computer readers that scans for "key" words. All others are rejected. He gave me an example of how on Monday, he had a employer submit for a stand-up fork lift operator. He said, within a few hours he had 700 resume's. If the resume didn't say "stand-up" fork lift operator, it was rejected by the computer and those people didn't have a chance.

He said in this county there are 141+thousand people, 58 thousand are unemployed.

I have a parttime and a seasonal job, but my husband wants to retire in a couple years, and that will leave me without medical insurance. The J&F Resourse man also said, I should keep my jobs as I continue to look, and that my husband may want to reconsider retiring.

He gave me a few good leads and free classes or reduced fee classes I can take. This is all stuff I know, but he said it will be important to have a certificate that says I can do it.

That's all...I couldn't sleep. And all the stuff he told me today keeps running in my head.

lisa

• flyphisher
    flyphisher
    we are in a depression, much like 1947

We turn into a deflationary depression, globally.

what else?

(note: we have to recapitalize the entire worldwide banking structures with more than 100 trillion dollars... have you got enough money to do so??)

fly

• asilentone
    asilentone

deep recession or depression

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I've never seen the Economy so un-stable before....our interest rates dropped a full 1% last week to help the economy.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Thanks for the replys.

More stuff running in my mind....

He said that he sees people all day long that are in dire situations. People that can't afford their meds so don't take them..then of course, he continues, they start feeling unwell, look terrible and lessen their chances further for employment. (He was pointing out places for free medicines, at certain pharmacy stores) He gave me places that are available for free legel aid, foreclosures, debt aid. (thankfully none of these services are needed, but it was nice to know that was out there)

I asked what area he would point someone to..he said Medical, anything medical. Also he mentions foreign language, in particular Russian, which I thought was interesting.

thanks for reading.

lisa

• ninja
    ninja

all this bad news is making me feel recessed

• DJK
    DJK

If you want to be a stand up fork lift (counter straddle balance) operator, come see me. Been doing it for 18 years now.

Decades? That's actually life long for someone already in their 50s.

Good paying job's will decrease because of economics and not return because of automation. What few good job's that may be available will be given to the young and college educated.

For the rest of us, there is pizza delivery and grocery bagging. I refuse to do window washing.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

1947?

I think this will be very bad indeed. Perhaps as bad as 1930s America, but different too. Can America avoid war with China that is my concern. Or if war cannot be avoided can America win a war with China without the whole planet being destroyed.

• DJK
    DJK
    The J&F Resourse man also said, I should keep my jobs as I continue to look, and that my husband may want to reconsider retiring

Good advice. One could easily be unemployed for a very long time and that doesn't look good on an application for employment.

Medically, you just never know what kind of an emergency you may have. Currently I'm paying more for a policy than I would if I paid the medical bill. That could change overnight.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is certainly more than just a typical recession, however I would not compare it to the Great Depression where 66% of all banks failed.

America (and the rest of the world) got maxed out on credit to the point that people could no longer take on more credit. The creditors locked down and now people are devoting their money toward paying off credit and saving money. (The things people should have been doing anyway)

The end result is less things being purchased and therefor less people needed at the companies that sold the things that are not being purchased.

People will learn to live within their means and value material wealth less and learn that it's the "Family and Friends" wealth that really matters.

It will be a very painful experience but we will come out of this better than when we went into it. The days of excessive consumerism is, hopefully, over.

(Now I need to plug a book) You should check out: The Way We'll Be - The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream.

A quick summary is: The American dream is in transition; it is rapidly being redefined by four meta-movements: living with limits as consumers and citizens; embracing diversity of views and ways of life; looking inward to find spiritual comfort (as opposed to organized religion); and demanding authenticity from the media, our leaders and leading institutions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit