I Saw My Mother's Time Slip

by StAnn 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

Independent, I know how you feel. It weirds you out to wonder how much do they love you versus how much are they using you for the WTS's ends. At family picnics, my mom or my siblings would single out my husband and talk to him, with just a few scriptures tucked in. A couple years ago, we arrived at a picnic and I asked my brother, "So, which one of you is taking his turn counting his time talking to my husband?" They've never spoken to him, not even to say hello, since. And he was never a Dub.

My mother tried to witness to my husband once when we were visiting at her house. She told him some WT silliness, as if it were a fact. He very politely explained to her that he knows Greek (from college, not self-taught) and pulled out her Bible and and an Interlinear that he has and began showing her the various Greek words and what their meanings are and that she was trying to translate Greek words with a 21st century knowledge of English, not considering that the words were written in Greek in the first century and had an entirely different colloquial meaning. He began talking to her about the culture in Rome and Jerusalem in the first century. She never tried to witness to him again, either.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

As a Christian, I find it interesting (and very sad) when a "religion" (JW or otherwise) actually causes people to sin.

It called legalism!

DD~I hadn't thought of this as a sin. Guess I'll have to ask my priest next time I go to confession. His take on this will be interesting and I will share it here.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Does your mother happen to have bound volumes? If so, or if you can get ahold of one, the one I recommend is from 1984. (

Wing Commander, yes, she does, but I couldn't slip out a bound volume without drawing attention. That would be a huge lump in my pocket! And if Mom found out that my Dad knows about this, she'd be upset with him. This is one I'll have to buy. I'll probably check out Old Lighthouse Books. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

StAnn

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

People need something to make life interesting.

At this point in your mothers game,

If you kill all of your mothers demons you may end up killing her angles also.

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Am I understanding that you are creeped out that she might be counting
    time on YOU? I bet she is.

OTWO, no, she can't count time on me because I faded. Now they consider me an apostate, although I never DA'd myself. I'm creeped out that she was counting time on her elderly mother with Alzheimer's. But I know she counts time on my husband, whenever we visit, although all she does is leave a WT on the coffee table. Sometimes he just waits in the van while I run inside to check on her, so he can mess up her time for the month!

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

People need something to make life interesting.

At this point in your mothers game,

If you kill all of your mothers demons you may end up killing her angles also.

JB, I do understand your point. And I don't think she'll ever believe anything bad about the WTS. But it's really troubling my dad, because he feels he hasn't done enough to try to "save" her. And he hasn't. So I'm probably doing it more for my dad, so he can be at peace when she dies, that he at least tried. Also, Mom has six children, 18 grandchildren, and 10 great grandchildren and she was a concert pianist. Her life could be very interesting. If anything, the WTS has limited her ability to have an interesting life by cutting her off from many of her family members and pursuits that she always wanted to enjoy.

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Sorry to hear your mom is so sick.

Thank you, Missing Link. She has commented that, if she had known she would grow old, she would have taken better care of herself.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn
    firstly I agree with whitedove there is no excuse for snooping into people's personal stuff, if you found your mum had being going through your private draws etc in your bedroom invading the privacy of your own home how would you feel?

I have explained this in an above post.

Well you did it and didn't like what you found (which is often the case), every witness knows it's to easy to find silly ways to count your time and your mum has one in her mum, I wouldn't have counted it as a witness I never did with family (This is an individual case that has to be taken as such), if you had found out openly you could have mentioned something to her but your hands are tied and if you blurt out the knowledge your mum will know of your own wrongful acts.

It is true that often when one looks, one does not like what one finds. However, I couldn't have found out "openly" because my mother can't discuss religion with me, given my "status" as an apostate, in her eyes. Also, I committed no wrongful acts.

There are other ways of getting the magazines you want not least of which is asking and or buying them off ebay.

I keep asking about these "other ways" and very few people pony up with the sources. I addressed eBay. I will PM you, as I said, so you can provide me with literature, if you would.

The irony is however bad your mums actions in counting inappropiate time your own actions show you to also have little conscience in attaining your desired items so in this you and your mum show a distinct family resemblance, maybe the moral here is not to throw stones unless you are without sin.

This is an interesting point but with one slight difference: my mother was counting time inappropriately with no intent of saving her mother. I'm borrowing literature without her knowledge with the intention of saving her. Guess she did a better job raising me than her mother did, raising her. And there is quite a family resemblance; I look just like my mom and she's beautiful!

StAnn

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

St Ann, thank you for starting this thread and opening yourself up a bit, even if some criticism was the result. I understand too where you are coming from. When a cult has its grips on your mother until death, you really want to save her and help her out. The damage that has been done by this cult is unbelievable. But threads like these can really help others who are dealing with close family members in, and I can't imagine anyone closer to a person than his/her mother.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, and it does seem like her time is short. I hope with all my heart that the time you are able to talk to her is beneficial, at least a time for some closure. You deserve this and so does she.

Take care

• StAnn
    StAnn

Indy, aw, you brought a tear to my eye. Thank you. My dad is keeping tight-lipped about Mom's prognosis but Mom talked to my little brother the other day and told him the doctors indicated she may have less than six months left, at best. Despite all the misery she's brought into my life via the WTS, I've only got one mom and I love her. She brought a lot of good into my life, too.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit