I Saw My Mother's Time Slip

by StAnn 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

I took my mother a plate of food today, Thanksgiving Dinner. She won't cook it because it's, well, Thanksgiving, but she was sitting there waiting for me to bring her a plate of turkey and dressing. I came in and said, "Mom, I brought you some food. I'll put it in the fridge." She replied, "Oh, no, just put it right on the table, I've been waiting for you. I just knew you'd bring me a plate!" And she dug in with gusto.

While she was enjoying her ill-gotten pseudo-patriotic feast, I slipped into her bedroom and did my usual snooping. I came across a binder where she has been keeping track of her time. She keeps an individual sheet for each month, which she summarizes on the slip she turns into the KH at the end of the month. This binder goes back years and years. I randomly opened the binder and it was 2002. I glanced down at her "return visits" and was shocked--she actually wrote down, "Called Mommy~30 minutes". She actually counted the time that she spent on phone calls to her Baptist mother! Her mother, who had Alzheimer's Disease at the time!

I'm appalled! Every time I start to feel warm and fuzzy about my mom, I see something like this that reminds me not to get too close to her.

Oh, also, she had a big note taped to her bedroom mirror about the importance of studying the scriptures so that she could meditate on them when the persecution comes and she is KILLED!, written in capital letters with an exclamation point! The note said, "Remember Acts 6:15, that when Stephen was killed his face was like the face of an angel. May your face be likewise when you are killed!"

Crazy cult. Crazy cultists.

StAnn

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, she sounds like my sister .

• StAnn
    StAnn

The thing that pisses me off is that Granny thought Mom was calling just to check on her. And I'm sure Mom just told her about going to the Assembly, etc., and used that to count the phone call as witness! She also had the names of her old neighbors in there, "Phyllis, 1 hr." And I know Phyllis just stopped in to chat with my Dad and Mom left the WT and AWAKE prominently displayed on the coffee table and counted that time. She NEVER witnessed to her neighbors, of that I'm sure.

She's such a hypocrite and yet she's so self-righteous. Really turns me off.

I HOPE that Reniaa comments on this thread! There's no excuse for this kind of behavior. This time she was counting was absolutely NOT real witnessing.

StAnn

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    and yet she's so self-righteous.

She's masking major insecurities probably.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Umm...snooping in your mother's bedroom? Is there a particular reason that you do this? Am I missing something here?

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I didn't need to snoop in my mom's bedroom. She left her time slip laying in the middle of the dining room table.

On the last one I saw she had entered 15 minutes. Whenever any family stops by that is not a JW she finds a way to start preaching and then counts her minutes.

That keeps her an active dub and secures her place in paradise.

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Umm...snooping in your mother's bedroom? Is there a particular reason that you do this? Am I missing something here?

Oh, yeah. I would never have done this before but...it's the only way I can get "hard copies" of the WTs, Awakes, etc. My dad is not a Dub. My mom converted after they got married. He hates the WTS and would love to find something to use to show her what the WTS really is. He's convinced that he can get her to see reason. I disagree but he has to have hope. When the UN scandal broke, I printed out everything I could get my hands on and gave a huge file folder of info to my Dad. He sat down and showed it to my mother and she brushed it off with "that's just copies of stuff from the internet. Anybody could have made that stuff up and posted it." Dad told me that, in future, if I give him evidence of something, it needs to be original WTS stuff. So now I snoop in her room and swipe copies of WTs, Awakes, new releases, etc., and add them to my stash so that, when I've got enough good evidence of their next major blunder, I can give my dad a pile of authentic WTS literature with the pages, etc., highlighted, not photocopied. I wish we'd kept all of the original magazines from the 60's and 70's so I could show her the big lie/reprint coverup for 1975 but hindsight is 20/20. So now I'm preparing for the future. Thus I've become a snoop. StAnn

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

StAnn

As a Christian, I find it interesting (and very sad) when a "religion" (JW or otherwise) actually causes people to sin.

It called legalism!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

St. Anna:

Does your mother happen to have bound volumes? If so, or if you can get ahold of one, the one I recommend is from 1984. (Oh, the irony there!) There are several WT's in a row talking specifically about 1914, prophecies, the time of the end, the generation, etc. All pure gold - and now all OLD LIGHT!! Imagine, not even 25 years old yet, and now considered old light....nearly all of it except 1914. Incredible.

- Wing Commander

• Gregor
    Gregor

Faith vs Works.

How predictable that a book publishing sales eneterprise values works over faith. I almost wish I was back in so I could turn in some killer time reports as some have mentioned doing. I was too honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit