WT: Dumbing down the message; no intellectuals allowed

by Hiddenwindow 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mustang
    mustang
    And mustang, Gene Scott! Ha! I liked watching his program (re-runs) before the wife finished her "mourning period" after his death and took over the program whole-hog. She eventually even took his name off of the TV screen and put hers instead.
    He was deep, and he loved the Grace message, Paul, and Romans.

Yes!!! He trashed James: remember the "James Is A Jerk" sermon? That puts WTS right where it belongs.

I still like what AlanF said when someone asked what JW's thought about Grace: it's just a woman's name!!!

BTW: I'm looking for a copy of the James book that WTS did a while back. I hear it's in disfavor

About 3 or 4 years ago, I bought a DVR and recorded about 40 of his sermons. I hope I got the important ones.

Melissa has essentially shut down the "local TV congo'. They both had threatened that over time, but she has finally done it, it seems. For about 10 years, I didn't have to go out of the house to go to "church" :)

Mustang

• abbagail
    abbagail

[...]
    Yes!!! He trashed James: remember the "James Is A Jerk" sermon? That puts WTS right where it belongs.

I still like what AlanF said when someone asked what JW's thought about Grace: it's just a woman's name!!!

BTW: I'm looking for a copy of the James book that WTS did a while back. I hear it's in disfavor

About 3 or 4 years ago, I bought a DVR and recorded about 40 of his sermons. I hope I got the important ones.

Melissa has essentially shut down the "local TV congo'. They both had threatened that over time, but she has finally done it, it seems. For about 10 years, I didn't have to go out of the house to go to "church" :)

Mustang
    [...]

;-D I love talking about great Grace Bible teachers! I flipped by "wild looking Dr. Gene" several times (2006 I think it was), mostly because of all the scribbling on his white-board in the background... I thought, What the Hay is all that??? But one night I stopped and watched and I was HOOKED. I couldn't believe I was hearing someone talking about GRACE, Paul, Romans, etc. (you don't hear much of that on regular Christian TV, and I was newly hooked on Les Feldick as well... so all the sudden I was running into Pauline Grace teachers, and it was perfect timing). But Gene Scott was SO COOL, deep deep, very brainy, and a passionate old guy. Funny, too.

I heard later that he was a wild man in former times, but he seemed to really express his own personal pain at what a sinner he was (or had been) and how he needed Grace more than anybody. I was touched by his expressions about that. I didn't even know he was already dead at first, and was totally bummed when I found out. ;-/

Then they were only showing HIM like one night a week, and the wife's preaching the rest of the time, so I never knew when it would be Gene so I could set in advance to tape it. I did tape a few of them... but wow, no where near 40! Good for you!

I think Gene Scott is the kind of guy you either love 'em or hate 'em. I grew to love him in that short time. When I googled him at some point, seems there were a lot of disgruntled ex church members accusing them of ripping off, etc. etc. But oh well, nobody's perfect, and he WAS a great teacher!

----------

Might as well shut down TV operation... must cost a fortune, even on PAX/Ion at 1 AM. I think it's like $22,000 per half hour... I figured it out recently when reading one of Les Feldick's newsletters (he's on M-F, but 1 PM). He's Mid-Acts, though... not sure about Gene, was he Classic Pauline (Acts 2), or Mid-Acts (Acts 9)?

Funny about the James is a Jerk sermon, lol. Sounds like something Scott would say. I may have seen it. James the legalist. Funny, tho, I used to LOVE the James book we studied in JW days. The tan colored little book. It was one of the early book studies I attended. His words pierced me many times (in a good way). But, as his opening greeting says in the Book of James, he was writing TO THE TWELVE TRIBES scattered about, hence, not the Gentile church.

Unfortunately, I got rid of all old WT books, mags, lit, in 2004. Had stored it for years and years, and then it all went in one night to the dumpster, tons of it, so I can't help you there.

----------

Have you ever read any of Miles Stanford's stuff? He's also deceased, but was total Pauline Grace (Acts 2), and great articles! all linked to from this site: http://www.withchrist.org . It was one of Stanford's articles that pierced me with what total Grace means, and that was like late 2005.

------------

I don't get out to a church either... disability... so Christian TV is my mainstay... I was loving Les Feldick every weekday for two whole years until I uprooted and I can't get him where I am now. It's a killer. I loved his daily program! Also a great teacher, not quite as brainy as Gene Scott, though. www.lesfeldick.org (TV program title: Through The Bible with Les Feldick).

------------

As for JWs and GRACE being a lady's name, lol... but one day I heard a preacher, don't remember who, might have been Les, but whoever it was, said that the Greek word for Grace actually means "undeserved kindess" and I thought I would flip! ha! Kindness that is undeserved, etc. etc. If it was Les who said it, he is no JW lover. I've heard him tell stories of trying to reason with JWs and how hard it was as they just "couldn't see it."

Well, this is long enough!
    Enjoyed the conversation! ;-)
    /ag

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they really want to dumb down the message to the max, I have the suggestion that is so simple that small children will do automatically:

You must not initiate the use of force, threats of force, or fraud against another person or their property.

Of course, they will never do that because that would mean they couldn't promote the message that you had better stay in the cancer or you are going to die.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Insearch -

It was in an article on the life experience of a theoretical physicist - who amazingly - believes the Witless Crap. End of the 90s or early century.

HB

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

We would not want to assume that just because a person is from a "Third World" country that they are automatically ignorant
    - and are therefore, by extension, guaranteed to flee the field at the first sight of any deep reading material.

I lived and worked in a Third World Country off and on over a 17 year period.
    During that time, I worked with various electricians, fitters, instrument technicians and process control engineers who could at least hold their own up with anyone from anywhere else.
    Versatility was their trade mark; and because of that, they were often actually better than the average, run-of-the-mill
    "Sledgehammer Fitter" or "Cable-Puller" type electrician that you can encounter in countries that consider themselves to be "smarter."
    (In fact, I am in the process right now of poaching one of them to come and work for me in my present location!)

Given the complete lack of scholarship in the WTS - a direct result of their downer on education - it should be of no surprise that their literature is superficial in style.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

How strange to be dumbing down a message after 130 years. The beginnings of the volumes studies in the scriptures, written by Russell, was touted as an absolute necessity to have any understanding of the scriptures. Now all that convoluted tripe, has no value whatsoever, and can hardly be recognized as being from the same religion.

Isn't it interesting, that with all that bright light shining, in all it's complexities for so many years, that we need to lose 50 IQ points for the light to shine ever more clearly today.

I think Russels efforts were probably the best at explaining things in a scholarly effort, but it was still garbage. When Rutherford came on the scene, he opened up the area of double talk from being a lawyer, and his Rainbow of bullshit style, lasted for a long time.

In days of mass entertainment, internet and large amounts of distraction, no one wants to read and hash over things, that will bore them to tears. This is a publishing company, and if the public wants Archie comics instead of pseudo scholarly lingo, written by a team of evasive word arrangers, give it to them. There's no harm here. The simple and the complex both equate to the same thing. Literary garbage!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit