WT: Dumbing down the message; no intellectuals allowed

by Hiddenwindow 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

They have said for years and years, that they are engaged in a "separating work." What better way to truly separate the faithful drones from the intellectually curious (read: troublemakers) than to make the literature so insultingly simple-minded that only the blindly faithful will swallow it whole without question? Don't confuse 'em with facts or outside scholarly sources or - God forbid! - logic. Keep it at a 3rd grade mentality and you can't miss. When in doubt, aim lower.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Well, they sure can't try to quote any references like they used to to try to prove a JW point. Now, we can relatively easily reference anything (via Internet) they try to quote and find the facts, get to the source and discover and expose how they quote only a part out of context, misrepresenting the facts and outright twist the point completely.

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

Good point, BizzyBee... Some of the arguments are so childish that I ask myself if the WT is reallly testing the Witnesses level of stupidity: "Let's see how low can we go before they stop accepting our non-sense".

• halcyon
    halcyon

I can't speak to the more current publications, but that's one of the (many) things that I remember hit me squarely between the eyes: the message seemed to be getting more and more simple until it was almost loathsome drivel. I always kinda thought the turning point was when "unity" and "united brotherhood" became the Big Goal. After all, when giving only one single message to everyone, you have to simplify it to the lowest common denominator.

Along with that came the whole idea of, "the publications are so simple that anyone can understand them, therefore you don't need to stand at the door and give a great big bible explanation yourself. Just hide behind the magazines and let them do the talking." This is the same time that presentations started being printed in the KM (lest anyone "go off on their own" and start teaching misinformation....)

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The folks writing the books are mostly uneducated IGNORANT & DUMB.

They prolly cannot even understand the reference books they are consulting.

Hence the comment on relativity in the Asleep! "There are those who CLAIM that time slows down" (it isn't a claim - it's been proved) and the obvious misunderstanding of how C14 dating works.

HB

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    "There are those who CLAIM that time slows down" (it isn't a claim - it's been proved) and the obvious misunderstanding of how C14 dating works.

When was this in the Asleep??? Was it recent??

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Utilizing secular sources has become much riskier in the information age. The Watchtower has a long history of taking scholars out of context, and using old outdated sources to bolster their doctrinal claims. But today, this kind of shoddy research is not so easy to foist on people who are intellectually curious and Google-savvy.

We must remember also, that the general public (particularly Evangelical ministries) still read and critique Watchtower publications. Their evaluations are also available online. Because of the massive growth of Bible research websites, the Watchtower cannot so easily get away with taking scholars and commentaries out of context; especially when it comes to their key doctrines.

It is safer to just print simplistic material which makes sweeping generalizations and grandiose assertions; while appealing to the lofty authority of the "Slave Class". Hopefully, the rank and file are indoctrinated enough to just swallow their teachings without asking too many questions.

But, I believe besty really hit the nail on the head. Most of the growth is in third world countries where most of the people don’t even know their multiplication tables. The Watchtower has no choice but to radically dumb-down the material in order to appeal to these ones.

I think the Watchtower finds itself in a dilemma. They must publish sophomoric and simpletonian material to reach many of their new converts. But with this new trend, they will continually bore those in more educated countries who hunger for something a little more esoteric. Many of the more intellectually curious minded friend will begin to explore outside sources more and more; and discover facts that are quite different from what is in their Reasoning From the Scriptures books.

The Watchtower’s attempt to shield its teachings from scrutiny by bulwarking them with platitudes, slogans, and catch-phrases just isn’t going to cut it anymore; not in the information age.

• mustang
    mustang
    Dr. Scott collected MSS and amassed the largest private collection of Bibles and original MSS and anything related. He even was in competition (and collaboration) with the British Museum for such. He stated that similar large trove of MSS had appeared in the last few decades.
    This means that a review of the whole situation would be in order. Scott was at that task before his death.
    I think the Watchtower finds itself in a dilemma. They must publish sophomoric and simpletonian material to reach many of their new converts. But with this new trend, they will continually bore those in more educated countries who hunger for something a little more esoteric. Many of the more intellectually curious minded friend will begin to explore outside sources more and more; and discover facts that are quite different from what is in their Reasoning From the Scriptures books.

Tie these two together and you get that WTS is out of the consideration in holding the attention of the educated audience. And guess who is more "well heeled"?

Mustang

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

They knnow that there will always be a lot of nuts who follow to the sound of their Flute, like the Rats they are.

• abbagail
    abbagail

LOL on the comment that since WT no longer has its UN Library Card, it can't get access to intellectual info. HA!

-------------

And mustang, Gene Scott! Ha! I liked watching his program (re-runs) before the wife finished her "mourning period" after his death and took over the program whole-hog. She eventually even took his name off of the TV screen and put hers instead.

He was deep, and he loved the Grace message, Paul, and Romans. I was just awakening to all of that at the time I found his programs on late night TV on PAX channel.

He was wild looking, but he was very cool, Biblically speaking.

-----------

As for the dumbed-down WT mags, is that the INHOUSE version they are dumbing down?

Or the PUBLIC version of the mags?

Maybe they are only dumbing-down the INHOUSE versions...?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit