WT: Dumbing down the message; no intellectuals allowed

by Hiddenwindow 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

Have you noticed that the most recent publications by the Watch Tower, and particularly the study articles of the Watchtower magazine, contain less and less references to secular sources? There is not doubt that the Society was always making efforts to provide us with a historical and quasi-intellectual perspective of the world. I am sure all of you can think of books by the Watch Tower that contained extensive information on history, biology, and even philosophy (Insight, Creation book, The Bible -God's word or man's?), but those days are over. The latest publications contain little, if any, of that. There is no room for intellectuals or scholars. Fred Franz is dead, and so is any attempt to give "the truth" any rational justification. This fact, among others (scandals included) may explain why many of us are leaving. At least in my case, I always thought that there was some rationality in my Witness beliefs. Of course, I have awakened from that dream, and now reject the entire belief system, but my point is that the religion is becoming dumber and dumber. What do you think?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Those of us who remember the cumbersome books of the 1960's and 1970's would agree. Who can forget "Babylon the Great Has Fallen, God's Kingdom Rules!" and "God's Government of a Thousand Years Has Approached" Spare me the pseudo history and factiods. Yes, it is getting DUMBER! W.Once

• VM44
    VM44

What?!! No more quotes from The Sacramento Bee?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

uhm.........duh

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have noticed that, too. They simply read accounts out of the Old Testament, simplify them, and print them as stories in the Washtowel study articles. Then they make a lame attempt to tie them into how we are supposed to worship, believe, and trust in God. Plus they make more rules with lame attempts to back them up using scriptures taken out of context.

I guess they don't want people to think.

• mustang
    mustang

Bullseye!!!

Babylon book, Your Will book, yellow Armageddon book of the 50's: these were all tough as nails and a challenge. They may have been wrong, but they were DEEP

I haven't looked at much new, except that Revelation thing that eveybody complains of redoing on BS night. Could that be the last shot at literary challenge for WTS

Mustang

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

It was always dumb. The references to secular sources were always ripped out of context, and twisted to say something other (often the exact opposite) than what it actually said. It`s just that we were to stupid to figure that out.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Wow really? It always used to bug me that the dudes at bethel were allowed to read secular books, but I wasn't. /////// The last time a witness was preaching at me, he kept saying, "how can I put this in as elementary an example as possible?" I think I understand his intent, but I'm not sure he realized how condescending that sounds. It seemed to tie in with the whole, "thinking" people would see it our way mentality. "If you don't agree with us, you're just not thinking. Maybe I can dumb it down for you."

• mustang
    mustang

Somehow, Brooklyn may have gotten the idea that if you keep saying things, but say them S-L-O-W & S-I-M-P-LE people will just magically 'click' into an "understanding".

It doesn't work, except perhaps to catch some S-L-O-W & S-I-M-P-LE people. But look at your audience: they don't bring in any $$. So, this is not a good long term strategy.

It might work for the kids of present JW's to some extent. But again, look at the audience: make 'em dumb, keep 'em dumb. No real $$'s in this either.

Besides, they've ran out of "celebrated Watchtower scholars". Better toss in some "freeze dried bat's nutz".

Mustang

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Your Will book, yellow Armageddon book of the 50's: these were all tough as nails and a challenge. They may have been wrong, but they were DEEP

I haven't looked at much new, except that Revelation thing that eveybody complains of redoing on BS night. Could that be the last shot at literary challenge for WTS

yea..and those 50 cent books about the minor prophets, published in the 70's.... "typical" and "anti-typical"... may of been total hogwash ...but at least I thought I was reading something that someone had conceived to be of some theological value.

The stupid literature trend started in the 80's...combined with the cheap production value literature ( could the binding and printing get cheaper? you bet!) ...I bet it must be a real snoozefest for anyone with half a brain to sit in a meeting these days.

Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit