Gas @ $2.50 a gallon

by wha happened? 60 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Global recession means fall in aggregate demand.

"Oil price drops on economy fears"

Broke people buy less energy. Businesses make less "stuff", and a lot of energy goes into making and distributing this "stuff".

Why have oil prices dropped before? It certainly hasn't been because of "phear teh 0bomba!"

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9450

....it tends to rise during economic booms and fall during contractions. It dropped 44 percent in the last recession (from November 2000 to November 2001), 48 percent from October 1990 to January 1992 - and 71 percent from July 1980 to July 1986.

BTS

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I paid $1.86 Friday. I filled my tank for $31.00!!!!

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

Gas around here is $1.87. I had heard someone say at work the other day that it might go down below $1.50. That would be cool with me.

Amanda

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Hey, flyin, gas prices have dropped across the world.

I'm pretty sure Obama's proposed taxes aren't going to affect people in Canada, the UK, or Australia.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I paid $1.68 last night in here in the midwest...

Below is the conversion factor for Canadian price per liter into US price per gallon. According to Gas Buddy.com the lowest gas price in Toronto this morning was $0.799 per liter....which according to my calculatro below...is $2.37 US (with today's conversion rate)....

Snakes ()

per galper liter
    $1.68$0.46
    CA price per literdiv by 35.2get price per oz.times 128cost in $CA per US galconvert to $US ( 0.816926)
    $0.80$35.20$0.02 x 128$2.91$2.37

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I just filled up at $1-64 per gallon

• garybuss
    garybuss

buck 90 here

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If you hit the right corners in OKC .... price wars are bringing regular under $1.70... out on the expressway looks like an avg of $1.77 or so.

The barrel price of oil .... at $100 we saw a bunch of oil well repairs, re-development of oil feilds and new rigs popping up.... the last few weeks, layoffs are starting in the "oil patch" as barrel prices drop back under $70.

I posted about this early summer... the margin for domestic exploration-production seems to work at the over $90. If there was "money" to be made in domestic production dont ya think the "oil barrons" would be making it? As long as the public is OK with gas in the 1.50-2.00 range life is good. And we will ignore our need to be able to run the table if need arises again.

Election rhetoric aside... "drill baby, drill" dont feed the bulldog. Someone has to get OPEC by the ears and the only way we do that is price them out of the game... alternatives and domestic production will (tend) to control foreign prices.

Hill

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

Gas is $2.35 or so for regular in NY...

But anyone saying that gas prices have dropped because Obama got elected doesnt understand the economy at all.

While I, like everyone else am thrilled prices have dropped, this is like a cancer patient losing weight. Someone may have struggled to lose 25 lbs or so for years, but finally losing it cause you have cancer is not the way you want to get it done.

The same is true of gas prices. They are dropping cause oil futures contracts are being secured for next to nothing (compared to a few months ago). That has absolutely nothing to do with oil compaines in this country since they are responsible for very little of the oil traded on the global market, which is where we (like every country out there who uses free markets) buys/secures their oil. The reason oil is dropping is because (1) our currency has improved in value relative to other currencies (that isnt all good by the way - trade exports suffer), and (2) because global demand is dropping cause we are going into a massive global recession and we will probably have several regional "depressions" throughout the world.

Case in point: Citi just cut 53,000 jobs today. That is 53,000 people that are going to be using less gas cause they arent commuting every day. That reduces demand. Replicate that hundreds to thousands of times in the country that uses 25% of the oil on this planet and prices will plummet. Since the price of a barrel of oil is traded based on future need, that is why the price is dropping. It is nothing more complicated then that...

So yes, I am glad that oil/gas prices are going down, but again, this is like someone who has cancer finally losing weight. Its the icing on a big piece of sh*t.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Ours is at 1.84/gallon..but I used my Safeway rewards and got it for 1.64. I hear iis suppossed to go pretty low this winter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit