Whats the reason behind the name change of the Watchtower Society ?

by Homerovah the Almighty 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I just read one of the WTS. recent KM and realized the the WTS. is no more. The new name for the Publishing Corporation

is the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

What do you think was the reason behind this name change ?

Was it done out of legal liability reasons ?

The old cronies have indeed been doing some restructuring changes, seems to me they're trying to cover themselves with a new face.

• sir82
    sir82
    the WTS. is no more. The new name for the Publishing Corporation is the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The "Watchtower and Bible Tract Society", of both New York and Pennsylvania, still exist. They are still the publishing arms of the big overall organization.

There were a half-dozen or so new corporations added in 2000 or 2001 or so, including the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". There's threads all over this forum on it.

No reason was given, but most speculate it iwas for the reason you outline, to mask the Governing Body from legal liability issues. The "CCJW" comprises the Service Department, Teaching Dept., etc., departments not directly related to putting ink on paper.

Most of the time now, you'll see references to literature described as "published by Jehovah's Witnesses", further muddying the waters.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Interesting sir82 so the WBTS.. still exists, the fine print on the bottom of the KM says that this KM is printed by the CCJW.

I was assuming that the entire legal name of the WTS. had been dropped for something new.

Separating and diversifying names within the organization might actually weaken any legality against the organization,

and might even protect their monetary holdings, a very cunning tactic if its true.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Good question. Thanks for the thread.

In the corporate world, it's called a "split". When one corporation gets too fat, rich, and vulnerable, a new corporation is started with few cash assets to do the day to day business of making money. It adds another liability firewall, it creates officer and director jobs to satisfy some of the ladder climbers, and it gives the appearance of growth.

The growth is not just a shell game. The Watch Tower Society aggregate is growing. It's getting mega rich! As a business model, this thing's a success.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Another plausible thought on the matter might be since many of their end time doctrines leading up to the said GT and Armageddon never

came to reality , perhaps giving themselves a new identity might persuade people to think that those said doctrines were from old understanding

and old light, making them invalid. Remember the Society has had a history of reinventing themselves when necessary to keep the ring in the noses of the faithful

and to keep the flow of finances directed toward them.

There is an underlining and interesting psychology behind this organization, coerce people toward them and then manipulate the flock to cultivate money.

In this case one can easily see the corruption sustaining the power and control.

• blondie
    blondie

The name of the WT magazine has changed over time..........to reflect "new light"?

1879, Zion’s Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence

1909, The Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence

1939, The Watchtower, Announcing Jehovah’s Kingdom:

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

At the 2000 Annual Meeting the GB removed themselves from office-holding positions in the coroportion, and also started using the "Christian Congregation of JWs" as a term to define the religion, as opposed to the "Watchtower Society" as the corporation. In other words, if the correspondence is religious, they'll use the Christian Congregation name, if operational, they'll use the WT Society.

• compound complex
    compound complex

As I recall being told by my work overseer in writing/proofreading at Bethel, various countries - though of the same language - accept one designation of a "business" entity but not another. For example, a publication in French may be published by the WTB&TS, Temoins de Jehovah or IBSA. We would not send literature stamped WTB&TS to a country that recognized us solely as TdJ.

This was explained to me, as it stood then, nearly 40 years ago.

A bit off point but worthy of note, IMHO.

CoCo

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I guess implying and using a more religious type of name than a corporate one with a Publishing House identity would make them less

vulnerable to prosecution on legal grounds, something I'm sure was orchestrated by their legal department, old Rutherford would be proud of this motion

in place. Funny thing about these crazy cults they always seems to be surrounded by lawyers protecting their money and decisive power.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

I agree with Gary Buss' comments.

The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society might as well become a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange. Their ticker symbol could be WTBS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit