As of tomorrow I will no longer be a JW

by passwordprotected 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

After my last post where I asked for advice on how to handle whether I should tell an elder that we've been going to church, I decided to tell a local elder who's related to me through marriage. This was to save my dad having to 'report' me (I'd told my dad we go to church).

Anyway, I had an interesting chat with him and he said some very personally revealing things re. his feelings on certain WTS/JW theology. Here's hoping....I was away with work for a few days and returned to find out that the local PO has asked to meet with us re. our conduct. I phoned him this morning and he stressed that he respects my choices and decisions but that it puts the local BOE in a bit of a spot. It would appear they don't want to have to disfellowship us. It would make it easier for them if we just wrote a letter and that would be the end of that. As we're not prepared to do that (anymore), they've asked my mother-in-law to put it in writing what my wife - her daughter - said to her about going to church. I've checked in the Flock book and that's standard procedure when someone has DAd themselves through their actions; if they can't get you to write a DA letter, they get those who have either witnessed your actions or whom you've 'confessed' to to put it in a signed letter.

How legalistic!

So, I said, "ok, I'll meet with you guys". I'm not going to DA myself and I'm not giving them a letter. Instead I'm going to give them my testimony about coming to faith in Christ. I know they'll brandish 1 John 2:19. But, v18 makes it clear that John was referring to anti-Christs, not Christians. I know that they'll also hit out with the Organisation book's reference to DAing through affiliation. So, I've got all of the UN-related material I could find on the 'net, highlighted the relevant portions and I'll pass it on to them.

At the end of the day I'll be making it clear in front of two elders/Witnesses that I no longer wish to be a JW, so it'll be announced pretty soon at the KH. However, they still need something from my wife....What will they do?

I'm Mark, by the way. Pleased to meet you all.

• carla
    carla

I don't know what to tell you, someone else will be along shortly with an answer for you. I just wanted to say good luck and I'm sorry for what your family will probably have to go through.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I fully understand what you are wanting to do. But in the end, doesn't it accomplish
    very little? You wanted to know about DA'ing to spare your father from turning you in.
    Now, you verbally DA and they want more. They want a letter or else your in-law
    family has to get involved. It's all a stupid game with them.

I am not going to talk you out of what you are doing. Even though I might not do it, and
    even though I feel it accomplishes little, who am I to know what will happen because of
    your brave verbal exchange?

They might want to put the wife through the same hoops to jump through. Ask her if
    she wants to just give them the short letter. Or bring her along.

Jerry.

• ninja
    ninja

wish I could be there with ya mate.....give em sheol

• abbagail
    abbagail

Please let us know what happens... I'm especially interested to hear how they respond to your testimony of becoming a "real" Christian.

(And don't forget to tell them about the multi-million-dollar WT payout to the sex abuse survivors!)

Blessings!
    /ag

• sacolton
    sacolton

Mark, my Christian brother! I'm very pleased to hear of your exit from the WTBTS!

Pleased to meet you, Mark. I'm Shawn. May the Holy Spirit guide you always!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Congratulations. I hope the repercussions with your family aren't too bad. I admire your desire to speak your mind to them.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Thanks for keeping us posted Mark. I hope you and your wife stay on the same page, maybe she should go with you to the meeting to just get her part over with so she doesn't have to meet with them alone again. I hope your families are still willing to have a relationship with you, then you will have the best of both worlds. Good luck.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Welcome to humanity Mark, this is a big step for yourself.

There are a lot of newbies here that willing to offer support for you, so keep posting and don't forget to ask questions.

Take care

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Change your mind; don't go. It's going to be a tedious and pointless exercise; all they need from you is an admission and they'll have everything they need to sign off on disfellowshipping you. They won't hear a word you say in your own defence. It is a very difficult thing to sit in the company of men who believe they have authority over you, when you want to think that they don't, but you're literally giving it to them. Don't join their game. Make it their problem.

With regards to your family; if they are drawn into this procedure it will teach them about how loveless the organisation actually is. Talk to your mother (? sorry, or her mother, I've forgotten), before they do. Explain how you feel, tell her that if she wants to involve herself in this you will understand, but that she needs to understand that any way that this changes your relationship, it was her decision to react to yours in the way she did.

Don't care about the tough position that the elders are in; focus entirely on your family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit