Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

by Viviane 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Viv, you made me laugh out loud! Love your wit.
  • Chris Hannover
    Chris Hannover
    Viviane: For instance, if someone said 2+2=4...
    Why can't religious people simply say "I don't know"? What is wrong with that level of honesty?

Most people consider themselves honest as long as they refuse to acknowledge they're lying. Its the admission of being wrong that they consider dishonest.

In the same way, as long as they never admit they're being cruel, they consider themselves loving.

• done4good
    done4good

The very definition of belief implies there is no proof. Believers cannot quite their head around this fact in of itself, hence why the endless questions of "what is belief", questions predicated on "for those who believe in evolution", etc. It is almost as if belief is a requirement of something being factual to believers. It is almost impossible to debate someone who is not defining the very meaning of the term the same way, but that is another story...

If they just understood the simple fact they had no proof to begin with, there would be no debate at all. What this really comes down to is debating the definition of the term, which in reality is not open to any debate.

Thus your frustration, and why no proof is ever offered for such claims.

d4g

• Clambake
    Clambake

I hate when people spew philosophy and pretend they are doing it in the name of a scientific debate. This thread is nothing but pointless fluff.

• done4good
    done4good

I hate when people spew philosophy and pretend they are doing it in the name of a scientific debate. This thread is nothing but pointless fluff.

Can you back that up?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I hate when people spew philosophy and pretend they are doing it in the name of a scientific debate. This thread is nothing but pointless fluff

No one ever said this was a scientific debate. It was a question about why religious people pretend to know things they can't possibly know.

For instance, you clearly don't know what this thread is about, but pretend you do.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Viv, you made me laugh out loud! Love your wit.

Thank you!

Most people consider themselves honest as long as they refuse to acknowledge they're lying. Its the admission of being wrong that they consider dishonest.
    In the same way, as long as they never admit they're being cruel, they consider themselves loving.

Interesting point, one I've not considered....

The very definition of belief implies there is no proof. Believers cannot quite their head around this fact in of itself, hence why the endless questions of "what is belief", questions predicated on "for those who believe in evolution", etc. It is almost as if belief is a requirement of something being factual to believers. It is almost impossible to debate someone who is not defining the very meaning of the term the same way, but that is another story...

That has become obvious is recent weeks....

• Clambake
    Clambake

Asking religious people to prove the existence of god is like asking an atheist to disprove there being any intelligence in our design.

Anyone with a sincere interest in all thing scientific wouldn’t waste their time with such a pointless endeavour.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Asking religious people to prove the existence of god is like asking an atheist to disprove there being any intelligence in our design.

In what way are you imagining those are the same? And I stress the word "imagine".

Anyone with a sincere interest in all thing scientific wouldn’t waste their time with such a pointless endeavour.

Sorry, you don't get to make claims about other people you've never met and motivations are unaware of. That, much like religious people making claims, is claiming and pretending to know things you don't and can't possibly know.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This thread is nothing but pointless fluff.

I think not it for it explains the obvious fact that religious people are held in their beliefs mostly by fear, ignorance and a wanting desire for there to be higher power guiding and protecting themselves.

When people make announcements that are said to the spoken word of a almighty omniscient god, how can a mere human have a chance to rationalize and contradict what is spoken. In religious ideology, to express contradiction to what is spoken by the deemed almighty god, may evoke self harm, shame, guilt and many cases punishment by their following associated believers, there is an imposing element of fear to do so..

So from that perspective its easy to see why some rather not go into deep personal debate on religious subject matters, it becomes easier for them just to walk away and be released of the foreboding pressure.....(cognitive dissonance)

We've seen that here in this forum many times when a devout JWS comes on to debate a specific issue regarding a JWS doctrine and these ones wont acknowledge or address contradictory information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit