Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

by Viviane 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

So why are you wittering on about a "God" particle with an upper-case "G" as if it had some philosophical or metaphysical significance?

Again - what has any of this got to do with the topic? Is it just your favourite thing at this week?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Simonsays

I'm impressed! You can copy & paste with amazing accuracy from this article.

bravo

Eden

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

If what I'm reading is as it appears (I've not gone back enough pages to catch up), I feel the need to share this quote from Sam Harris book I'm currently reading.

Tell a devout Christian that his wife is cheating on him, or that frozen yogurt can make a man invisible, and he is likely to require as much evidence as anyone else, and to be persuaded only to the extent that you give it. Tell him that the book he keeps by his bed was written by an invisible deity who will punish him with fire for eternity if he fails to accept its every incredible claim about the universe, and he seems to require no evidence what so ever.

Im starting to firmly believe people of faith have to open themselves up on their own to be reasonable. That's what had to happen with me, I had to be willing to consider other possibilities than I otherwise had been before.

Abiogenesis is a really amazing theory, one that was tested in a way in the mid 1900s. I recently read about the experiment and it's very interesting.

For more on these experiments read here.

I really don't see why abiogenesis should be any less probable than the existence of God, I consider it more likely TBH because there is more evidence suggesting it's possible than there is of God.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Ok you're nitpicking again on a tangent and you don't seem the least interested in the core of the comment; I take a rest, because I don't want to engage in this sort of exercise again that only serves to derail threads and tire me out. It's your thread....and I'm out.

I've no idea how it's nitpicking to point out, in a thread about people making claims about things they cannot possibly know or quantify, that you are making claims about things you cannot possibly know or quantify.

Bye.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Since both theories are mystic, there’s no winner. They both cancel each other out according to the laws of physics.

One is an unfounded assertion, one is a fact and a theory, the third is under investigation. None of that has anything to do with the laws of physics in any way.

The elusive Higgs boson, the so-called "God particle," may not have been discovered despite claims of it being detected, some scientists are saying.

So? What does that have to do with religious people making unfounded assertions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit