Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

by Viviane 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maat13
    Maat13

My words don't belong to you and you don't get to pretend they mean something so you can falsely change them to make whatever point you are attempting.

When you decide to make a point without being dishonest about what I said, then you are welcome to discuss this again.

????

• Viviane
    Viviane
    ????

!!!!

• budbayview
    budbayview

And my response to Coded Logic:

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and I respect your position, and I do not condone any violence attributed to Religion. Nor do I condone any violence attributed to man’s political agenda, greed, and overreaching quest for scientific knowledge. Your argument is biased, and does not account for all the murders and blood spilled that man has done in just developing one weapon of mass destruction. Take the nuclear bomb that was developed to drop on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Do you realize how many lives were sacrificed in the name of science to test and develop that weapon? This is just one example that comes to mind, and there many more in the name of geo politics, science and medicine that has brought death to thousands of innocents and misled individuals. Or the environmental catastrophes they have left behind in their wake?

I worked for a large engineering company that had concerns in federal and government work. We had permanent offices on site at Oak ridge, Tennessee, and Los Alamos Laborites, New Mexico, monitoring and cleaning up the surrounding area for nuclear radioactive contamination. Deer hunting in Oak Ridge was defined by bringing in a deer to the check point, and having it scanned for radioactivity. If it was within a certain range, you got to keep it. Needless to say, the areas are quite contaminated. So, how many people have developed cancer in those areas that believed their government would keep them safe from harm? Or what about the nuclear weapons testing the US did off the Bikini Atoll Islands. 23 tests from 1946-1958. The military authorities, and scientists told the native residents they would be able to return when they had completed. Well, you know the story, they could not, as the area was inhabitable. But, all those natives believed and had faith in what the military and scientist told them and that they would be able to return. What is worse, is that our scientist hadn’t any idea what the outcome would demonstrate, so they required testing to support their hypothesis. Which is a sanitized way of saying they had a belief and subsequent faith that it would result in proving their initial calculations. But even with all the scientific methods they employ, they were incorrect, as they would not have misled the residents initially.

Also, do understand that faith is not unjustified belief, you could not be more incorrect on this matter and would do well to realize that the science in which you “believe” is based on theory and hypothesis, and there are many unproven postulates an all areas of scientific study. So when Alan Shepard was sitting atop of that bomb, getting ready to be blasted into outer space, you better believe he had faith. He had faith in every NASA engineer that participated, but the reality is, they had no clue what was going to happen. In other words they had a belief in something, and a lot of faith that they did their calculations correctly.

Whatever axe you have to grind on religion, faith and belief, is disproportionately targeted. It unfortunately exists in all religions, cults, large corporations, and governments. Blind faith and ignorance is dangerous in any realm including the secular and scientific. My point is that somehow having a theological view got entwined with ignorance and an illogical thought processes. This is quite frankly offensive. I work in the technology and engineering industry, I am educated, and also have a background in food science. I do not pontificate illogical unreasonable conclusions. I am surrounded by very smart educated professionals, and have had some great discussion and debates on theology, but what we do not do, is utilize a sophomoric ad hominem tactic to discredit the person on the bases of their virtues, and views. And when we are discussing the origins of the universe and life, I am sorry but at the end of the day, science (actually the political) answer to the question is just as silly as that of a creationist. We are all hypnotizing and looking to prove them.

In closing you said, “and that, my friend, is why I HATE IT when people try and use faith to justify their beliefs.” I sincerely hope you don’t need faith to believe in that the next vaccination or inoculation you need to get, because the fact is you surely do, especially when you do not know the outcome. You may have some idea based on statistical analysis, but there is no guarantee or assuredness, and that my friend is still blind faith. I do agree with you on one point, trusting in humans, whether secular, or religious will result in disappointment.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Your argument is biased, and does not account for all the murders and blood spilled that man has done in just developing one weapon of mass destruction. Take the nuclear bomb that was developed to drop on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Do you realize how many lives were sacrificed in the name of science to test and develop that weapon?

What does any of this have to do with religious people pretending to know things they don't?

Which is a sanitized way of saying they had a belief and subsequentfaith that it would result in proving their initial calculations. But even with all the scientific methods they employ, they were incorrect, as they would not have misled the residents initially.

What does any of this have to do with religious people pretending to know things they don't?

Also, do understand that faith is not unjustified belief, you could not be more incorrect on this matter and would do well to realize that the science in which you “believe” is based on theory and hypothesis, and there are many unproven postulates an all areas of scientific study.

You clearly don't understand science, so I would question why you pretend to do so.

My point is that somehow having a theological view got entwined with ignorance and an illogical thought processes. This is quite frankly offensive.

You take offense at reality, then.

I do not pontificate illogical unreasonable conclusions.

The posts you've made here prove otherwise.

And when we are discussing the origins of the universe and life, I am sorry but at the end of the day, science (actually the political) answer to the question is just as silly as that of a creationist. We are all hypnotizing and looking to prove them.

Another case of proving you've no idea what you are talking about.

I sincerely hope you don’t need faith to believe in that the next vaccination or inoculation you need to get, because the fact is you surely do, especially when you do not know the outcome. You may have some idea based on statistical analysis, but there is no guarantee or assuredness, and that my friend is still blind faith.

And as is sadly typical, theists end with attempting to equate their non-sense with actual knowledge and tell other people what they think and totally get words wrong on what they mean.

You've just proven that you are illogical and ignorant (meaning "lacking knowledge") on the subject you write on. You may find that offensive, but it's objective reality.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

They don’t consider their outlook in a targeted religion as hatred but a rite of passage. They are only interested in one major event. To bring down the very religion that kicked them out in the first place. It really has nothing to do with the perception of religion as opposed to cults, but there are some here from other Christian faiths maligning just the same.

It’s a deep rooted anger to the organization they are bitter about, but they fail to see, they have become that of what they most despise. So it’s not an analytical, just typical.

However, when they feel threaten by an educated person, they have to lash out to show their in control no one else, so save your frustration, debating intellectually here, it’s futile.

So just like Sheldon said “Oh, you think you’re so clever. Well, let me just tell you, while I do not currently have a scathing retort, you check periodically for a doozy.

So kick back, enjoy the show as they figure out how to mesmerize you with their own style of intellect.

• cofty
    cofty

Budbayview just sent me a very angry and misogynistic PM.

I was puzzled since I haven't interacted with him for over a month - a respectful response to a public display of willful ignorance about evolution - and since (despite my avatar) I am male.

Then I read this exchange between him and Viviane and realised he meant to send it to her.

Apparently he is going to "spank you.. you little girl blog troll".

I think you hurt his feelings by firstly exposing his ignorance and also by being female.

Off to work now still laughing at the thought of BBV trying to intimidate Viv with a cowardly and vitriolic PM and then realising he sent it to the wrong person. Priceless!

• DJS
    DJS

Cofty,

We ALL know that you and Viv are the same person; you aren't fooling any of us!!! Are you certain Bud's pm was vitriolic? I want to spank Viv too but not because I'm angry at her.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Then I read this exchange between him and Viviane and realised he meant to send it to her.

Oh, please send it to me, then. Also, spanking costs extra, how rude of him to assume!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane: Also, spanking costs extra, how rude of him to assume!

And I'm sure it's worth every penny!

How much extra for high-heels and fishnets? I've a thing for them too.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    How much extra for high-heels and fishnets? I've a thing for them too.

Free if you bring your own, 2% upcharge if I have to provide them. Also, I'll need to know what size you wear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit