WTS TO END MAILED SUBSCRIPTIONS

by Seeker4 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Just heard that the Society is going to stop mailed subscriptions. Magazines will all have to be picked up at the Kingdom Hall. Not sure when it's starting, but soon, I suppose.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I think this is VERY new info.

• LB
    LB

Well that wouldn't have affected me too much. I normally forgot to renew my subscription anyway. So is this new light???

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Seeker4

I have heard this from two sources now. Having the magazines obtained at the KH seems either an attempt to cut cost or an effort to curb sagging meeting attendance. I suppose a third possibility is an effort to cut back staff at Bethel.

Jst2laws

• Farkel
    Farkel

jst2laws,

: Having the magazines obtained at the KH seems either an attempt to cut cost or an effort to curb sagging meeting attendance. I suppose a third possibility is an effort to cut back staff at Bethel.

For some time, "known" apostates have not been able to obtain subscriptions to the magazines, at least here in the USA. The society did not want their own words used against them. Since they are a non-prophet (sic) organization which offers their literature on a "donation" (HAHAHAHAHAHA) basis, they are obliged to provide their literature in like manner to everyone who asks. I would guess they could get into trouble with taxing authorities if they offered subscriptions to some, but not all who asked for them.

That could be another reason why they are no longer offered. Then again, the WTS flaunts the law whenever it serves their interests, so maybe the real reason is $$$$$$$ after all.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Farkel,
    :For some time, "known" apostates have not been able to obtain subscriptions to the magazines....Since they are a non-prophet (sic) organization which offers their literature on a "donation" (HAHAHAHAHAHA) basis, they are obliged to provide their literature in like manner to everyone who asks.

Thats an angle I hadn't thought of. But I'm betting on the money issue.

Jst2laws

• rekless
    rekless

why would any apostate or anybody else want a subscription aslong as:
    1.there is a laundry mat around the corner.
    2.your mother is a witness
    3. your mate still preaches.

• blondie
    blondie

I take it this is only going to be new in the US. Canadians have been picking them up at the KH for some time.

• think41self
    think41self

Great News Seeker4!

My mother in law keeps renewing our subscription...and we keep asking her not to. Makes you wonder about how many other family members are doing that...and how that distorts their "numbers" of magazines being placed, much less read!

think41self

Holy Flying Screaming Buddha, Batman!

• Farkel
    Farkel

t41,

: My mother in law keeps renewing our subscription

That sounds like V. alright!

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• belbab
    belbab

I could never get a subscription in Canada, I just get magazines very sporadically, whenever one shows up.

A long time ago, the Society, in Canada anyway, I believe that the Society has its own trucks to deliver bulk magazines across the country to Kingdom Halls or a central drop of point. I believe it was to save money. I know Canada post rates increase as the distance posted increases. I am told in the US the mail rate is the same whether the distance is long or short.

Also I believe in Canada, if you have a subsciption, it is delivered to you by publishers, not by mail. I think some are by mail.

I may be wrong in these thoughts, maybe some one can verify or nullify them. One thing I am sure of, its a money thing.

belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit