How do you pray?

by Hikaru 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about kick-starting with a song? Here's one I just found today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8ESzK5pCw

and an old favorite:

http://www.interviewwithgod.com/psalm23.htm

Keep in mind also that prayer is not a performance event. Your prayers are heard regardless of your status, standing, state of mind, or prayer system.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

What Gopher said.

My thoughts, 2,000 years since Jesus paid the ransom, still no release for mankind.

Two things happen when a ransom is paid. One ) Release happens. 2 ) The person being ransomed is dead.

So, what happened 2,000 years ago when Jesus paid the ransom? #1 did not happen.# 2 ????????????????????????????????????????? you tell me.

How do I pray? I don't.

Btw. I don't believe in the ransom doctrine.

Blueblades

• Aculama
    Aculama

I have found the closest times I have, involve reading scripture after, or while I pray. I have been surprised at how good the line of communication is when I do this.

• yknot
    yknot

I pray from my heart...... if my heart is not in it.....I give a nightly shout-out of thanks and a request for some humility and understanding.

All relationships ebb and tide

• wildfell
    wildfell

Enjoyed the music, jgnat.

You inspired me to post a song that I discovered about a month ago. It's the Lord's Prayer in Aramaic. A very beautiful and haunting song/prayer. Sometimes, when I don't feel 'connected', I pray the Lord's prayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEIrp4MFBE

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Dear Satan--Please foul up whatever Jehovah Baghead has in store for me--like field circus, recapture, or more celibacy--so I will not be forced to do His selfish will...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My prayers are more like conversations.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Great responses!

[...]
    I tried to pray, but it feels like I'm talking to myself unlike other times......Just me or what?
    [...]

Nope, not just you. I was thinking about this this morning... and I was thinking it's my own self-consciousness at times is more raw than others and I think that gets in the way. I feel clumsy, conspicuous, stupid, retarded. ;-/ So I appeased myself this morning by remembering that Christians in India are at this time being shot on sight if they don't renounce their faith, so I told the Lord he probably had his mind on more important things over there... they needed him now more than me, so I will check back later. ;-)

As for how to pray, I always start with Dear Father in Heaven... I quit saying Jehovah and forced myself to say Father since I've never been close to my real father it wasn't easy so I just kept doing it until it felt normal, and always close in Jesus' name. Sometimes I just go directly to Jesus though I always feel guilty because I know the scripture says to pray to the Father thru Jesus' name.

Other times, and this works great almost ALL the time... for little nit picky things around the house... can't find something, can't get the lid off the jar (too physically whimpy), can't remember something, etc., I will just ask the Holy Spirit directly to please help me remember/find/get lid off for me, and I tell ya, He obliges and fast. He comes thru almost 100% of the time. He's the Helper, Comforter, Teacher, Guide... and my "muscle man," to boot. ;-) This is not to say I leave Jesus or the Father out of the picture, but Jesus did say He was sending the Helper after he left, so I decided a few years ago I was going to make good use of that reality. ;-)

I noticed, though, that if I don't ask the HS for assistance but keep at it myself and get all irritated and frustrated, He won't help until you just calm down and let Him do it. So I'm learning to NOT let myself get upset first, but just to ask IMMEDIATELY before I even get exasperated. It's a thrill to get His help! No request is too dumb or stupid. Try it. Have faith!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit