How do you pray?

by Hikaru 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Hikaru
    Hikaru

Great topic title....not the full question, but I'm guessing you all are raising eyebrows before clicking on it...Heh.

Anyways, my question is this... How do you pray? When it feels like you're talking to the wall? I know people say faith is needed...and that Jehovah is always there to hear them... But I don't know how to explain it... at times I've prayed for help and it felt like someone was there listening, it felt like he was listening.

But then other times like lately.... it feels like I'm talking to myself or the wall, like nothings there and it's stupid to be praying...Call it crazy, but it's not just me. It actually feels different at times... Tonight especially, like last post, I'm so scare of everything lately, how fast things are moving. I opened foxnews.com and a picture of the wildfire was up. But the strange thing? One of the building in the fire was strangely shaped like a cross, no joke... I saved the pic if you want to see it...So after getting freaked out about that.. I tried to pray, but it feels like I'm talking to myself unlike other times......Just me or what?

• wildfell
    wildfell

Hi Hikaru

You are not alone. I am sure that many Christians could say that they have felt at times that God was not listening.

I just recently read a book about Mother Theresa and it is based on the letters which have survived her death. It showed clearly that even Mother Theresa experienced what you are experiencing. Apparently, the Catholics call this period "the dark night".

At times of great stress or anxiety, or feeling freaked out, we can feel the most alone, with just our thoughts racing around in our head. I wonder if that is why we can't 'hear' God, so to speak, sometimes? Because part of prayer is us talking, and the other part is the silence; listening for God. Please take comfort, God always listens.

kind regards

wildfell

• Undecided
    Undecided

There are probably 10,000,000 prayers being prayed at any given time, so maybe it wasn't your turn for him to listen right then.

Ken P.

• Sasha
    Sasha

Actually, being exposed to the "Oranization" at 17 and now I am almost 59....I do start with Dear Jehovah (It's a hard habit to brake)my heavenly father, or just dear Heavenly father, and thank him for all I have (Which is not much) but never was a material girl. And they some prayers for animals (Being an animal activist) and some people that need them, then a few for myself (Always health related) and close with in Jesus name, Amen.

Now, yes, there are times when I feel I am not being heard, and it does seem like my prayers used to be answered a lot, but now, not so much. But I would say 80 percent of the time, I feel I am being heard.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

How do you pray? these days rarely

• Mutz
    Mutz

Our Farter, who aren't in heaven (or anywhere else actually)................

• megs
    megs

I've lost faith... I occasionally find myself praying, but I think maybe it's out of habit. I used to talk to "God", pray for guidance, pray for my family and friends. It never did a lick of good though... Nothing changed because I prayed.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I see no evidence of a God who works at all to benefit people on earth. Throughout history and continuing till now, billions have suffered and cried out for a little relief from above, while evil exploiters (including many who make a show of religiousness) seem to get the farthest ahead.

It's probably better to organize one's thoughts about one's situation in writing (lists, journals) or to talk to a trusted friend who you can actually see that cares, and get actual feedback without any guesswork.

God might just be a figment of mankind's active imagination.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I look at all my prayers as prayers to myself,,mainly because I am everything and everything is me,,my worldview is me,,and everything I have contact of is me that is through my mind and my awareness of it is me and what I percieve as looking back at me is really me again.

So I try to make good prayers to me,,O I may call him Michael the Arch Angel but he is still me,,, and my feelings it's all me so I try to make them good prayers. I say beleive whole heartedly in truely good prayers that wish nobody harm and only good between you and your nieghbor, and they have a greater chance in comming true,,you don't want ugly prayers to come true and so I try to limit those type of prayers to me because,,they have a tendancy to distort me in ways I don't like. And since everything is me anyway and my world view I think that is the way I pray predominately.

• Sasha
    Sasha

I am sorry to hear about those who have lost faith in God. I have not, even after seeing "Redigulous"-Bill Maher's film

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit