11/15/08 WT: Sick? Too damn bad - get yer @$$ back to the KH, slacker!

by sir82 35 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

There's been a few topics on the "search out the inactive ones" articles in this WT, but I haven't seen anything on the 3rd study article, titled "Maintain a Scriptural View of Healthcare".

I was unaware that the Bible had anything to say at all about healthcare, but oh how wrong I was!

Unfortunately, no scanner - perhpas one of the other intrepid posters could scan and post it.

But here are a few choice quotes:

Paragraph 6: "...we know it is wise to avoid letting our health become an obsession or a constant concern."

Paragraph 7: "Being inordinately concerned about our health care could lead to our becoming self-centered."

Paragraph 8: "The danger exists that a Christian might let health concerns push Kingdom interests into the background."

Paragraph 9: "If we are making sure of the more important things, we will be having an active share in the work of spiritual healing."

Paragraph 10: "...our deep love for God's Word should impel us to avoid resorting to therapies that could harm us spiritually or affect our relationship with Jehovah. Some diagnostic procedures border on the use of the uncanny."

Paragraph 12: "In desperation, some Christians have been tempted to choose diagnostic or therapeutic methods that go against the principles of pure worship."

I can hear the elders now:

"We're so sorry you have lupus, Sister Frail. But look at the bright side - now that you can no longer work secularly, you'll have plenty of time to pioneer. That is what you were planning, right?"

"We're a bit concerned that your cancer is becoming an obsession, Brother Sickly. We've noticed that some of your chemotherapy treatments fall on meeting nights, and on other occasions you claim to be too 'weak' to attend our fine spiritual banquet at the Kingdom Hall. Is the problem really your lack of appreciation for spiritual things?"

"You know, Sister Agony, others with fibromyalgia somehow manage to make it to the Kingdom Hall - look at this experience I helpfully printed out for you from the 1987 Awake. It's good to keep in mind the 'more important things' and not be self-centered. Which is more important - Jehovah's sovreignty or your little aches and pains?"

Can't you just feel the love, the understanding, the compassion?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

sickening isn't it?

We were once told by a CO from the platform that the only acceptable excuse for missing a meeting was a funeral. But only if it were our own!

You simply cannot make this stuff up. Peace.

• Mary
    Mary
    Paragraph 12: "In desperation, some Christians have been tempted to choose diagnostic or therapeutic methods that go against the principles of pure worship."

It's this sort of insane drivel that used to annoy me, even when I was still a Witness. Why don't they just come right out and mention the kind of "therapeutic methods" that they're so against and state scriptural reasons WHY they're so against it?? This sort of lame-brained generalization leaves millions of Witnesses wondering what the hell they're referring to. Are they referring to alternative medicine? chiropractor? Tylenol? Deep breathing techniques? Meditation? Pap tests? Mammograms?

Of course, most of us on here realize exactly what they're referring to: Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Since there is such a high number of Witnesses who suffer from depression or severe mental problems (and I don't say that in jest), apparently "some" are going to get professional help and come to the realization that the religion itself is probably a large part of the problem. Then the person leaves the troof, or even worse, they may get better and tell other Dubs who are suffering from depression what they did to get better. The next Witness decides that they too should maybe seek professional help and on and on it goes.

And of course, Big Brother doesn't like that. They'd rather see a person struggle with deep depression for decades rather than get proper help.

I can't believe they're dumb enough to come up with statements like: "...we know it is wise to avoid letting our health become an obsession or a constant concern." "Being inordinately concerned about our health care could lead to our becoming self-centered." "The danger exists that a Christian might let health concerns push Kingdom interests into the background."

Again, what exactly are they referring to? If someone's got a life-threatening illness, of course they're going to become "obsessed" or "inordinately concerned" about it. And if you live in the USA, you also have to worry about the financial costs of health care if you don't have insurance.

What a bunch of assholes. I'll try and remember to scan the article when I get home tonight. Thanks for posting it.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    Paragraph 8: "The danger exists that a Christian might let health concerns push Kingdom interests into the background."

- kingdom interests? why dont you just say - 5 meetings per week, 10 hrs/month service, study for meetings, bible reading, family study, daily text, yearbook, KH Cleaning, etc. etc.
    or does "kingdom interests" sound all nice and warm and fuzzy? Why hide what you really mean with euphemisims? Jehovahs laws are not burdensome. Are you, GB/WTS, concerned that YOUR laws/rules are/appear burdensome? I say yes. Thus you use pretty little cult catch phrases like "kingdom interests"?

Paragraph 9: "If we are making sure of the more important things, we will be having an active share in the work of spiritual healing."

- spritual healing? since when do we call being "active in preaching" "spiritual healing"? Could it be that you, GB/WTS, are using this term healing in the context of this article to somehow connect this persons illness with their lack of activity in "kingdom interests"? Could it be that you are subliminally suggesting that by putting "kingdom interests" above your own health you may actually be "healed" or "feel better" physically? I say yes. Thus you insert words that create a subconscious link between what you really want to say to the R&F and the diplomatic word-smithing you put down on paper. As well as what the bible says and how you, GB/WTS, attempt to connect Gods words with your agendas

examples of such intentional use of words to connect your agends to scripture are:

Hurling

FiretotheEarth

John tells us: "But right away the angel tookt he incense vessel, and he filled it with some of the fire of the altar and hurled it to the earth.And thunders occurred and voices and lightnings and an earthquake.
    "
    (Revelation8:5) So how are the symbolic fire, thunders, voices, lightnings, and earthquake to be interpreted today?

Referring to the recent hard experiences of God’s people, the speaker said: "So pitiless was the onslaught of the enemy
    that many of the Lord’s dear flock were stunned and stood still in amazement, praying and waiting for the Lord to indicate his will. . . .
    But notwithstanding the momentary discouragement, there was a burning desire to proclaim the message of the kingdom."
    desire was satisfied. This small but active group of Christians was set on fire,spiritually speaking, to begin a worldwide preaching campaign.
    (Compare 1 Thessalonians 5:19.) Fire was hurled to the earth in that God’s Kingdom was made the burning issue.....

rechap.21p.134par.21Jehovah’sPlaguesonChristendom***

And

thesecondangelblewhistrumpet.Andsomethinglikeagreatmountainburningwithfirewashurledintothesea.Andathirdoftheseabecameblood;andathirdofthecreaturesthatarei
    n
    theseawhichhavesoulsdied,andathirdoftheboatswerewrecked."(Revelation8:8, 9)

...Thus, "the sea" well pictures restless, unsettled, and rebellious humanity that churns up unrest and revolution.
    24 A great mountainlike mass burning with fire is hurled into this "sea." ....the mountainous mass that John sees is still burning
    .....the question of government became a burning issue among mankind,
    25 ...but government continued to be a fiery issue, and the human sea continued to churn and throw upnew revolutionary governments.
    26 That "mountain burning with fire" continued to make waves in the sea of mankind. ....But none of these convulsions in the sea of mankind have....
    27 ... None of the radical organizations floating like boats in that third of the sea can avoid ultimate shipwreck.
    How happy we are that millions of sheeplike people have now heeded the trumpetlike call to separate from those who
    are still wallowing in the narrow nationalism and bloodguilt of that sea!

Thanks Sir82 - another example of how the WTS makes its followers feel guilty for actually thinking of doing anything that might help themselves before furthuring the WTS agenda..

• undercover
    undercover

It's this sort of insane drivel that used to annoy me, even when I was still a Witness. Why don't they just come right out and mention the kind of "therapeutic methods" that they're so against and state scriptural reasons WHY they're so against it?? This sort of lame-brained generalization leaves millions of Witnesses wondering what the hell they're referring to. Are they referring to alternative medicine? chiropractor? Tylenol? Deep breathing techniques? Meditation? Pap tests? Mammograms?

Of course, most of us on here realize exactly what they're referring to: Psychologists and Psychiatrists.

I think they're referring to holistic types of medicine as well. I remember back when I was still in and some of the friends were trying 'alternative medicine' and got counseled on not getting caught up in anything that could lead to spiritism.

The thinking of the WTS on healthcare reminds me times past when people were afraid of things they couldn't understand...so naturally it had to be tied to spiritism. But that was back in the Dark Ages. The Society still operates on a similar premise in this modern age of enlightenment. This applies to their ridiculous fear of blood as well...

• metatron
    metatron

Part of this is directed at the growing trend among many Witnesses towards disguised Shamanism.

You think I'm kidding? Some Witlesses will travel many miles or spend lots of cash to go to one chiropractor/healer/reflexologist/whatever to feel better. They freely engage in rituals that are clearly spiritistic, by any reasonable Watchtower definition.

Example? Making pills 'jump' by bringing them near the ill person. ( I'm not kidding).

metatron

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower is a 19th Century religion that doesn't know anything about anything.

Everything about "Kingdom Interests" they have made up sitting at the typewriter.

They are unimportant people who think they are important in their own eyes.

They are NOTHING!

• blondie
    blondie

I have to admit that there are many jws seeking good health and not finding it. Could being under the pressure of a performance-based organization be part of the trouble. I have seen jws pay out large sums of money for treatment that was not verified, was administered by someone who had little or no credentials, and did border on procedures that were "eerie". I can remember the trek to Hoxsey in Mexico and the sister who waved her hands over the "patient's" body to determine their electrical patterns. But of course, remember Radio Biola in the Rutherford days.

http://www.industryinet.com/~ruby/hoxseycancer.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoxsey_Therapy

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/biola.html

Blondie

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Self-help has also been criticized and condemned.

Well now how many levels is that one wrong?

Jehoobie watches millions dying needlessly everyday without lifting a finger to help. Watches women beaten by their husbands and children being molested by elduhs.

If YOU can't help yourself with your problems he certainly won't.

How unlike the Jesus they hide from the R&F.

HB

• Dagney
    Dagney

Actually, it was during a WT study with the same sentiment of "no matter what your situation is, get yer @$$ back to the KH" that I had my "moment of clarity." I had just come back from nursing an elderly mom for three days, and was feeling pretty good about making the meeting. But during that study, and the accompanying comments I realized, this religion did not want me. No matter what my situation was, if my @$$ was not in that chair at the meeting, I was crap. My situation was not going to change for the foreseeable future, so I would continue to be crap. But I was not crap. And I knew it.

I never went back to the meeting after that study.

So...I actually welcome spiritual food from the FDS like this. Perhaps someone else will have their moment of clarity and realize that is not the way of Christ as head of the Christian congregation.

It is important to have balance in life. But how different JW's would feel if empathy and encouragement was shown.

So that is an excellent article from my current perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit