Religulous with Bill Maher…I just saw it

by seven006 121 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Like who?"

Like the Pope, that's who. Face it, your scam is over. Prepare to renounce or be dragged from your home.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Maher declined requests for an interview, but explained his tactics to the Los Angeles Times:

"It was simple: We never, ever, used my name," he told the newspaper. "We never told anybody it was me who was going to do the interviews. We even had a fake title for the film. We called it `A Spiritual Journey.' ... At the last second, when the cameras were already rolling, I would show up. So either they'd be seen on camera leaving the interview and lose face or they'd have to talk to me."

Some of Maher's subjects appear to be saying things they never intended. At the Vatican, Maher interviewed the Rev. Reginald Foster, a gregarious Wisconsin native who's the pope's unofficial Latinist. Foster genially agrees with Maher's argument that Jesus' birthday is not on Dec. 25, saying, "Yeah, yeah, we don't know when it is."

The implication is that the church has been lying about the truth of Christmas for 2,000 years. In reality, the church concedes Dec. 25 is never mentioned in the Bible, and says the actual date in history is less important than the historic event it commemorates.

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/commentary/11582504/

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Like the Pope, that's who.

Maher interviewed Pope Benedict?

BTS

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I agree as mentioned that JW religion is not of any major importance on the nation or world seen. Clearly Maher is not going to make a flick with JWs making a showing because not that many people are even the slightest bit interested, the door to door work is mainly annoying, and not haveing a very big impact on the public.

Lack of any world wide interest in the JWs who claim they are the only true religion, is mainly a source of annoyance, not interest.

• shamus100
    shamus100

No.

The other pope.

• Open mind
    Open mind

*in a Dustin Hoffman/Charlie Babbit voice*

"It's rated R.

DEFINITELY not for Christians.

DEFINITELY not for Christians."

(pause)

"Yeah.

It's rated R.

DEFINITELY not for Christians."

om

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Is it safe?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

No.

The other pope.

Benedict is the only Catholic Pope. But seriously, did he interview anyone that is a serious Biblical scholar, Christian apologist, or theologian that could have credibly countered, on the spot, Maher's prepared attacks?

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

More misrepresentation by omission:

Some of Maher's subjects appear to be saying things they never intended. At the Vatican, Maher interviewed the Rev. Reginald Foster, a gregarious Wisconsin native who's the pope's unofficial Latinist. Foster genially agrees with Maher's argument that Jesus' birthday is not on Dec. 25, saying, "Yeah, yeah, we don't know when it is."

The implication is that the church has been lying about the truth of Christmas for 2,000 years. In reality, the church concedes Dec. 25 is never mentioned in the Bible, and says the actual date in history is less important than the historic event it commemorates.

The Rev. George Coyne, the former director of the Vatican observatory, was interviewed to rebut assertions made by Ken Ham, a proponent of Intelligent Design and curator of the Creation Museum in Kentucky. Coyne tells Maher that "the Bible is not a book of science," but leaves out his belief that evolution nonetheless represents a "continuous creation" by God that the Catholic Church believes need not contradict science.

Dr. Andrew Newberg, a research neurologist at the University of Pennsylvania and author of the book "Why We Believe What We Believe" was interviewed about his studies that show unique brain activity associated with religious belief or practice.

"People would look at the scans that we did and somebody like Bill Maher would say, `There it is. It proves that (religion is) just a manifestation of your brain and that's it.' And somebody (else) would say, `Wow. This is how God interfaces with me, interacts with me and affects me and changes who I am.'"

Newberg said he disagrees with -- and never implied in his talk with Maher -- the idea that religious people are somehow delusional.

"Certainly he's going to spin it how he wants," Newberg said.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Quit being lazy. Go see the movie and figure it out for yourself.

Why would I waste my money on what is obviously a dishonest piece of anti-religious, anti-theist propaganda delivered by a smug, arrogant, disrespectful and delusional character like Maher? BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit