Religulous with Bill Maher…I just saw it

by seven006 121 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

Who you call’n old ya little chicky babe? I peek in here every once in a while just to see if you still post naked pictures of yourself like you use to and noooooooooooooo, Billygoat never posts any more. It’s just one of the reasons I don’t post here any more.

Big hug back at’ca woman.

Dave

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

It's an awesome movie. I especially enjoyed the interviews with the ex-Mormons and the U.S. Senator (scary). I'm afraid that the people who NEED to see it won't go though.

Hi, Billygoat! We miss you.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Hey, Dave, great to hear from you!! And I agree, Top Hat has no idea who you are!

Can't wait to see this movie. Main premise: Christianity, Islam and Judaism = fairy tales for adults.

Formatting on page 2 has gone to shit.

S4

• Purza
    Purza
    I'm curious to know....were there any stuffy religious people that "walked out" during the movie?

Not a one - at least at the showing where I saw it. I absolutely loved it. He did touch on the Mormons and how they shun you if you express beliefs differernt from the church. And he did talk about the Jewish traditions that deal with the Sabbath. I even learned stuff about Horus (Greek or Roman story?) who was born of a virgin, raised the dead, walked on water, was resurrected three days after death, etc. That was quite interesting.

Purza

• Mulan
    Mulan

I love Bill Maher, and can't wait to see this movie. How is it doing in ratings? Anyone hear anything about that?

• Galileo
    Galileo

OK, I just saw it. It was awesome. I have so much more respect for Bill Maher now. Absolutely unbelievable. See it, bring your Christian friends, it's awesome.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I even learned stuff about Horus (Greek or Roman story?) who was born of a virgin, raised the dead, walked on water, was resurrected three days after death, etc.

Oh no, that's disappointing that he buys into the internet nonsense about Horus. I see here he even says that Horus raised someone named "Lazarus" from the dead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3HArIwf88

I guess it just goes to show that mythmaking is not something just done by the ancients but that people today make new myths for old gods.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Can you clear that up Leo - about Horus?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it gets here, I've seen the trailer and several interviews he has done on it..

h40

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

A&G...Well, in short, the characterization of Horus that portrays his career (e.g. that he was a child teacher in a temple, baptized by someone called "Anup the Baptizer", had twelve disciples, performed miracles and raised someone called Lazarus from the dead, rode on a donkey into a city, was crucified, and then was raised from the head three days later) as identical to that of Jesus is a modern myth; it is a construct that doesn't correspond at all to actual ancient myths about Horus. It's the kind of thing that gets circulated a lot on the internet but which isn't based on historical facts. If you are interested in the real mythology of Horus from ancient Egypt, I may recommend Geraldine Pinch's Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt (2004) and Simon Goodenough's Egyptian Mythology (1998).

There are some genuine (broad) similarities between Jesus and the Osiris/Horus myths; the Typhonic conflict between Horus and Set for the kingship of Egypt, and Horus' trampling of Set's crocodiles, probably contributed to the stream of Christian tradition (found especially in the gospel of John, Revelation, and the Odes of Solomon) that portrayed Jesus' crucifixion as his triumph over Satan. The cult of Isis and Harpocrates definitely contributed to later mariology, and there are some dying-rising parallels are well. But the long lists of parallels that are often distributed online are largely modern inventions. I did quite a bit of research last year on this by tracking down the source materials claimed to support these claims; the notion that Horus was crucified comes from a Freemason publication from the 1920s (or so) that simply claimed this on the basis of a Maya sculpture (that has nothing to do with ancient Egypt). Other claims were originated without evidence by Theosophical and popular writers -- not actual scholars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit