Autism Times six.. on discovery health

by Cc81 92 Replies latest social family

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mrs. Jones, try to look at the posters like St. Ann, others and me, rather than focusing on the posters who are a bit lacking in compassion.

This is very profound:

Ghost of Christmas Present: Yes! So perhaps in the future you will hold your tongue until you have discovered what the surplus population is and where it is. It may well be that in the sight of Heaven you are more worthless and less fit to live than millions like this poor man's child.

Please do post about autism. There are people who would love to know more about it. There are people who need to know more about it.

Compassion. I have a relative who seems to have little compassion. She tells everyone, who will listen, how responsible she is. But on closer examination of her life, she isn't always so responsible. Another thing about her: her self esteem is very rocky. And for those who lack compassion and constantly tell us how responsible they are, it's often a matter of rocky self esteem. The attitude betrays a sadness and anger, buried deep within.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

We had a NEws report on Autism being cured thru diet and Omega fatty acid suppliments....this should be further researched.

• LDH
    LDH

No one said you should kill your child Mrs. Jones.

What I am saying is, if *I* had prior knowledge, through genetic testing or ultrasounds or whatever the case may be....I would personally choose not to carry that child to term.....knowing that I PERSONALLY will be the majority party responsible until I die. YES I have had genetic testing and yes, my husband and I were relieved that everything appeared to be normal. Why you take that so personally is beyond me.

If, despite my best efforts, I had a child with significant health or mental issues, I would do my very best to take care of that child in every way possible, which is what most people do.

It was never meant to be a personal debate about whether you should have had a child.

Besides, most mothers who choose to abort a fetus with significant problems won't feel at ease to talk about it, what with all the Christian Super-mom (I call 'em martyrs) wandering about.

• LDH
    LDH

Mrs. Jones, try to look at the posters like St. Ann, others and me, rather than focusing on the posters who are a bit lacking in compassion.

Yes, make sure to avoid conversation with ANYONE who has a different perspective than you have. This will help to stagnate your brain, which is a desireable trait. Also make sure to take everything personally, as though the poster on the other end of the screen knows you PERSONALLY and wishes to cause you emotional pain.

Coincedentally, this is a comfort, I'm sure, as many XJWs also can't take hearing anything other than their perspective (just like JWs). Anything else pains them to the bone.

Laughable.

• Quandry
    Quandry

No one is talking about murdering children or adults.

We are talking about making responsible, well-informed reproductive decisions.

How you make the leap of logic to eugenics is beyond me.

Yes, LDH, that is correct. The family in question is Mormon, or seems so because of the children's names, and the mom's comment that she wanted to bring souls from heaven.

Responsible decisions is the theme here. Please do not tell me that this man and woman had no inkling before the sixth child was born that there was something very wrong. If the older ones are non-verbal, at about three to four years old, that is A CLUE. Then, if they can't be potty trained by four, ANOTHER CLUE. Yes, once children are here, we must accomodate and help them to achieve all they can.

I know a family that have a downs syndrome son-he is about forty-five years old, with multiple health problems. The mother and father are now in their seventies, with their own serious health problems. Who will take care of him when they are gone? He is like a child and can't function on his own. What if they had five more?

That the family in question should have made better decisions is bourne out by the fact that the poor woman is a basket case and can't get by without prozac. The man can't even work anymore. Yes, now society will be supporting the whole family.

Maybe those that feel in an especially accepting mood should find out where she lives and go help her clean the feces that some of the kids evidently happily smear around the house. How many days could we keep it up before some sort of breakdown?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I suggest to Mrs. Jones not to focus on posters who lack compassion. I haven't told her to skip over your posts. You don't feel the same way I do about everything. Who expects all people to agree on every subject?

It's easy for any of us to criticize people for their decisions, yet all of us make decisions that come back to bite us. We all do. No one is immune. Just as soon as we feel smug, we turn around to make our own blunders, be they big or be they small. No human being is immune to foolish lack of foresight.

Me? I chose not to have six kids. My mother had six kids that she was not equipped to raise by her self. I didn't want to end up in the same kind of predicament as Mom. Am I critical of people who don't seem to have the same luck with family planning that I did? No. Am I critical of people who plan to have many children? I try not to be. Do they puzzle me? Sometimes they do.

We live in an incredibly complex, diverse, wonderful and screwed up world. There are challenging people and circumstances everywhere you turn your eyes, including your own mirror...my own mirror. It's just not a perfect world and complaining about people whom we judge to be irresponsible will not change anything.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I know a family that have a downs syndrome son-he is about forty-five years old, with multiple health problems. The mother and father are now in their seventies, with their own serious health problems. Who will take care of him when they are gone? He is like a child and can't function on his own. What if they had five more?

That the family in question should have made better decisions is bourne out by the fact that the poor woman is a basket case and can't get by without prozac. The man can't even work anymore. Yes, now society will be supporting the whole family.

Maybe those that feel in an especially accepting mood should find out where she lives and go help her clean the feces that some of the kids evidently happily smear around the house. How many days could we keep it up before some sort of breakdown?

So tell me, when are you going over there to help the poor parents? So funny. Ah but I can sympathize and be compassionate towards those folks because my parents are in the same situtation...well maybe not the income part. My brother, who is five years younger than myself, was in a swimming pool accident when he was barely five years old. It may surprise you folks but some children become disabled by means other than enviromental or genetics. He survived the drowning but just barely, he cannot walk, talk, wipe himself, or function as a normal 38 year old man. He is basicly a five year old child. Oh but don't worry about your tax dollars being wasted on his useless life. My parents were able to sue and acquire a trust for my brother that will take care of him until death, if he happens to outlive my parents. Oh and by the way, yeah I've wiped his ass and cleaned up the feces smears that he's happily made myself too.

Josie

• Iforget
    Iforget

This is a blog post that I wrote less than a month ago. Thought I would share it here with you. My little girl has Down syndrome, a catastrophic seizure disorder, on mulitple medications, a Ketogenic diet to control her seizures. I'll save her picture until the end and then you will realize how shallow some of you on this thread have been.

I was so angry last night when I went to bed that, I could not sleep. I had fights in my head - which I kinda like because I win all of those. Reading our local paper, blogs from around the country and national news makes me want to SCREAM in frustration.

Let me liken it to this. Children are a work of art. ALL children. I have been busy painting both of my children. I have mother’s intuition and the deep selfless love for my children that is required.

My son came with his own paint set and it was typical. 46 colors, some brighter and some I had to add water to and some he has not used yet.

My daughter - well she came with one more color. She came with 47. I had to learn how to work with that 47 th color so that she will have a full and productive life. The rest of the world judges her extra beautiful color in different ways. Some see it as a “defect” some see it as an enhancement. The people that I surround my studio with see it as just a part of who she is.

You have to know and feel love to be able to truly see the 47 th color as it should be seen. And because of my age I did indeed have genetic testing. CVS - which is accurate 99.99% of the time was WRONG. We are in the text books. We are the couple spoken of at medical conferences. We are your .02%

You dare walk by MY gallery and judge my painting? You are a drive-by observer who has NO idea about my canvas, style of art or love. Put down your poison pens and just leave those of us with the 47 th color, along with those who can truly see the beauty of our art, alone to work. You (and you know who YOU are) take the time to reduce a child, a son/daughter, grandchild, sibling, niece, nephew, cousin, loved and cherished member of a community down to an extra chromosome?? A Down’s child. A Down’s syndrome baby. Her Down’s kid. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?? AAGGGHHHHH

In effect, you have reduced a HUMAN BEING down to a tiny extra piece of DNA, which is exactly why over 90% of babies diagnosed with Down syndrome are aborted. You are liars. You are uneducated. You are haters. You have no idea how to paint. You can’t even begin to know how to see the 47 th color.

To reduce my child down to her extra chromosome begins a slippery slope that leads directly to Nazi Germany. Remember that leader? Yeah he could not see many colors even in the traditional 46-paint set. We know where that led.

She is a little girl. She is a daughter. She has a name. She is a human being. I have educated you on people first language. Now go away and leave me alone, I am painting.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/Larkin05/DSC_6269.jpg

• LDH
    LDH
    I suggest to Mrs. Jones not to focus on posters who lack compassion. I haven't told her to skip over your posts

I like how discussion of a subject, and statements made about responsible reproduction by myself and others have led you to judge that "WE" are not compassionate.

Outrageous.

In effect, you have reduced a HUMAN BEING down to a tiny extra piece of DNA, which is exactly why over 90% of babies diagnosed with Down syndrome are aborted. You are liars. You are uneducated. You are haters. You have no idea how to paint. You can’t even begin to know how to see the 47 th color.

To reduce my child down to her extra chromosome begins a slippery slope that leads directly to Nazi Germany. Remember that leader? Yeah he could not see many colors even in the traditional 46-paint set. We know where that led.

Human beings ARE DNA.

If you want to stick your hand in the bin with your eyes closed and pull out the acrylics on sale, and you can be satisfied with whatever colors you pull in your hand, so be it.

I chose and would still choose to SELECT the colors with which I paint. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't condemn anyone's personal choice. I see you are unable to return the favor. I guess you want everyone on the pity train, or everyone to swoon over what a great mother you are. Yes, I have experienced this phenomenon FIRST HAND, and my husband and I are helping to pay the price financially as well as emotionally because of a very damaged family member whose mother ran out of steam to care for her. I don't accept the "I'll take whatever God hands me, because he would never hand me more than I can handle." argument.

I call bullshit. Even with modern science, pregnancy is STILL a lottery, and when children are born healthy most parents I know breathe a deep sigh of relief.

And after reading this thread, I now know for a fact I would crawl on my hands and knees to get an abortion of a genetically or physically compromised baby. If, despite genetic testing I had a child that had ANY health issues, I would get sterilized and then do my best to take care of that child.

• LDH
    LDH

Oh PS. I forget.

My little boy's schoolmate has a little sister of 5 years old with Down's Syndrome. He has known them for three years. I was singled out by the mother last year, and pulled aside and THANKED for always acknowledging little Emily. When she sees me she runs to me for a hug. We have a grand old time together, and have since kindergarten. My son has been taught from birth that human bodies are not perfect, and some children have puzzle pieces that didn't fit together all the way when the baby was inside of the mom. He is fiercely protective of her. As he should be.

Emily's mom, one of the Stylish Moms, no longer belongs to the Clique that she used to belong to. It seems the other Stylish Moms have a hard time looking her in her face, or talking to her, or talking to little Emily. They are more interested in what cheerleading outfits their daughters will be wearing.

Oddly enough, Lisa the Uncompassionate, was tearfully thanked for treating her like......a human being.

We are the honorary family members at her Down's Syndrome walk this Saturday.

Just for your information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit