Autism Times six.. on discovery health

by Cc81 92 Replies latest social family

• misguided
    misguided

When I was 16 weeks pregnant with my last baby, he was diagnosed with a condition called cystic hygroma (also known as cystic lymphangioma). He had a huge sack of lymphatic fluid that grew off the neck of my baby like a big balloon. He had the more deadly septatious version...where the sack was divided into sectors. This sack went from the head of the fetus down to his mid-back (ultrasound pics are available.)

I was still a JW at the time. The medical field suggested that it would be best that I abort my baby, because there was and 80 percent or more chance it would either have a chromosomal abnormality, heart, brain, or liver defects. They gave him a very little chance of survival even, stating that most pregnancies in which this occurs, a condition called fetal hydrops occurs, and the fetus dies, usually by the 25th week.

I wanted to abort. I was hoping that it would happen spontaneously. He was my 6th baby - the father was abusive to my other kids and myself. It was his first baby. But, my JW conscious chose to let "j" decide.

By the 28th week, this baby was kicking...and Im thinking for a baby that's supposed to by dying, he's kicking pretty hard...

He turned 11 this month. He's challenged mentally, with an IQ of around 74. He's no trouble. He's not autistic in any way...just slow. I wouldn't think for a moment to "send him back." He has no chromosomal, heart, liver, or any heath issues...He brings joy to our lives. I guess what I'm trying to say is that...

Sometimes abortion for medical reasons is (in my opinion) a good option. Sometimes the medical profession is wrong. No one should be judged for the choice they make. The medical profession is not infallible; and, as a result, you could take their advice and abort a perfect fetus. Or, the medical profession coud be right, and you could give birth to a child with a defect. As in my case, it could be somewhere in the middle. Either way, in my opinion, it is up to the individuals (mom & dad) to make that descision, and no one should judge another's choice.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah, focus on the joy our children bring to our lives. When I look at my son Joshua I don't see a damaged child who shouldn't be here. I see a child who brings daily surprises and joy to my life, just like his brothers and sister.

• amama2six
    amama2six

Oh well...can't figure out how to post a picture now. Anyhow...your son is precious MrsJones...I, too, have an autistic son who I consider a blessing in my life every day...not a burden! (((Hugs)))

• amama2six
    amama2six

http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=52007pics175is5.jpg

Alright...well the link works...that is my son Devin, who has autism.

• Iforget
    Iforget

Well since I had already been parenting for 10 years prior to my daughters birth - there were no "clouds" in my eyes.

Abortion is a choice and one that I fully support but don't use my child as the reason. Accept your own limitations for love and acceptance. Don't project them on my child and don't refer to her as a Down syndrome child. You have set your own goals low and that is fine with me.

I've been outta the JW pool for many more years then you have LH so that flushes your theory as well on being evolved.

• LDH
    LDH
    Abortion is a choice and one that I fully support but don't use my child as the reason. Accept your own limitations for love and acceptance. Don't project them on my child and don't refer to her as a Down syndrome child. You have set your own goals low and that is fine with me.

What better reason for an abortion than acknowledging that you are not prepared to parent another child....any child? Perhaps to fit into that new dress? What kind of logic is that?

It seems to me that those of you who have spoken have said that you "love your children" and that they are not a burden. Is it possible that because you have a disabled child, your perspective has changed?

Look here what misguided said:

I wanted to abort. I was hoping that it would happen spontaneously.

Misguided thank you for being OPENLY honest. You were in a situation I have seen a lot of women in. Most of them are Right Wing Christians....including a great deal of XJWs. You are honest enough to admit that you did not feel that you could handle another child. Shit, I used to manage the front office of an all female OBGYN practice. A woman with 7 children, 2 disabled, came in because she noticed an 'odd smell' from down there..... This woman was so frazzled.... Her controlling husband never left her side. It turned out, she was so overworked and overwhelmed that she forgot she had left a tampon inside of her. The Doctor retrieved it, and the husband remarked that "they" were trying for more children. The nurse practitioner, Noreen, came out crying because no matter how the dr tried to tell him that she was very high risk for another pregancy, toxemia or whatever, he didn't care. Noreen tried everything to get her alone (including urine test that he accompanied her for) and she could not do it. She was a breeder for his purposes and his religious desires. $*#&^ THAT!

The big difference is that because you were a JW you could not seek an abortion. I am not in that situation. I would seek an abortion if I were pregnant with another child that we were not prepared to parent, whether medically fragile or completely healthy. I don't see how that makes us all that different, Misguided.

You also said:

Either way, in my opinion, it is up to the individuals (mom & dad) to make that descision, and no one should judge another's choice.

which is exactly what I have said.... the difference is that I didn't judge their capabilities to make good decisions, but I have been called everything (but a child of god) for saying that would NOT be my choice, and to the extent it is in my power, it won't be my destiny. I've been told I have no capacity to love, blah blah blah.

• LDH
    LDH
    I can see that you simply don't understand because you continue to refer to your "down's syndrome friend" when in fact it's a child with a name and a gender. Our buddy walk is this coming weekend and it's people like you who should stay away. We don't need your hatred or ignorance.

I actually said her name was Emily. I thought you could extrapolate that as her being a female. Yeah, oh and um, I was invited as the guest of honor to the Buddy Walk. Sorry I won't be staying away.

Accept your own limitations for love and acceptance. Don't project them on my child and don't refer to her as a Down syndrome child.

And you should accept your desire to be a martyr. There, I bet you don't like that.

No one was talking about YOUR child. This thread started out talking about a family who needs money, so they are pimping out their 6 autistic children on Discovery. I said, they obviously don't believe in abortion. Go back and look at the thread. That's when the religious right-wingers started talking about "beethoven" and blah blah blah.

Popping out babies, healthy or not, does not define me as a human being. It's not an 'accomplishment' in and of itself. Any woman who is old enough to get her period can have a baby. The accomplishment comes when you have introduced a balanced human being with talents, goals, and ethics into the world and that human being is now an adult. So just making a baby with a chromosomal disorder doesn't make you a special human being that everyone else should fawn over, like you obviously believe they all should.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Alright...well the link works...that is my son Devin, who has autism.

He's a cutey Mama

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

You all are wearing yourselves out with someone who is a CHANGE AGENT.

LDH is spewing concepts that go along with the teachings of the new world order.

Perhaps these ideas were taught in Babylon as well. But for our generation, it all began here:

Euthanasia - the "mercy killing" of people "not worth living" became a murderous program in Nazi Germany. This campaign is believed to have resulted in the killing of approximately 200,000 people. Evidence from the Nuremburg trials estimated that even 275,000 people were murdered.

According to the decree from 18 August 1939, the Nazis enacted the obligatory registration of all births of physically and mentally handicapped children. These children up to three years had to be reported to the public health offices. The selected children were sent to several mental homes where they were killed by lethal drugs or withdrawal of food.

Up to 8,000 children lost their lives in course of this "children euthanasia". On the basis of Hitler's order from October 1939 the program was extended on adults . This order was backdated on 1 September 1939, day of the German attack on Poland. The beginning of WW2 diverted the population from the euthanasia programme. The Nazis could get rid of "useless eaters" to save money and personnel, and get more free beds in hospitals.

In course of the occupation of Poland mobile gas chambers were used for the killing of mental homes inmates there .

Already in 1924/25Hitler wrote "if there is no more power to fight for their own health, the right to live comes to an end." (Hitler, Adolf. Mein Kampf, p.282). The benefit of eliminating approximately 70,000 handicapped persons was mentioned by Hitler on the NSDAP party conference in 1929.

Doctors and medical assistants applied to assist with this programme. The volunteers were attracted by a salary which was comparable with the salary of a mayor governing a town of 20,000 residents!

The T4 victims were murdered in gas chambers , disguised as shower baths, by means of carbon monoxide, emitted from gas cylinders.

Relatives of the victims were told that they had died as a result of illnesses such as heart failure etc. Finally the relatives got an urn from an euthanasia centre, filled with mixed ashes from different victims.

• Iforget
    Iforget

I actually said her name was Emily. I thought you could extrapolate that as her being a female. Yeah, oh and um, I was invited as the guest of honor to the Buddy Walk. Sorry I won't be staying away.

Why don't you share your views with them on their joyous day and see if you are still invited. And as far as the "guest of honor" that is reserved for the very individuals you would chose to abort. Oh the irony.

Martyr - that is ALMOST comical but not so much. Keep slinging mud but you are like a pig. We both get dirty but the pig likes it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit