HURRICANE IKE!!!

by White Dove 34 Replies latest social current

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Ditto what everyone said. Please be safe, and let us know how you are, when you can.

I have friends down there, some left, some had to stay, since they are rescue workers.

We'll be thinking of you all tonight.

shelley

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I will be finding out on Sunday if the American Red Cross is going to second me to go down to help.

If I am going down, I will let you know so those in the affected areas may be able to be in touch.

Uzzah

• abbagail
    abbagail

IKE YIKE!

Empathies to all in/around the Ike Zone. Can totally relate, same as LoveDubs, having been thru Charlie, Francis, and Jeanne in 2004 (which was the worse "scare" since Floyd in 1999).

Special empathy for you if you end up with no electricity, no A/C, and the resulting oppressive heavy hurricane "air" and humidity! Thought I would die in 2004 w/o the AC after 2 of the 3 hurricanes.

2004 was six straight weeks of HIGH ANXIETY due to the non-stop fear-mongering the TV stations have become so good at for hurricane seasons... problem is, you never know when it will really be a bad one, or if it will blow by you at the last minute.

In FLA the TV stations start ramping up your adrenaline well in advance, so you have lots of time to "fret" before the 'canes ever hit. And then sometimes they will hit north or south of you and it won't be so bad, etc. Just never knowing for sure is the problem.

So it's better to be safe than sorry!

-------

I see Brenham,TX, is not too far up from Houston. My old boss now lives there... but he's in a huge brick/concrete "mansion" up there so probably won't be too scary for them.
    /ag

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I'm in Houston, too. Hoping it won't be too nasty here. I'm really worried about people who stayed on the coast, but I don't think it will get too bad here. fingers crossed, of course. still a few things left to do, like pay bills... I don't think I'll get a chance if the power goes out for awhile. Some parts of Baton Rouge still don't have power weeks after Gustav. Trying to prepare for that, and trying to stay positive overall.

And I'm so exhausted. I hope I can stay awake for all the late night excitement.

Good luck to anyone else in Houston or on the coastal area.

• wednesday
    wednesday

my son and his family. they arrived yesterday. They had 24 hours notice to evacuate. They are right in the "bull eye". they are terrified and devastated.. It is a rental home but the contents of the home will most likely we washed away. It is really hard to see almost everything you own washed away. they were able to get whatever they could in 2 czars and leave.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

btttt

Hoping ya'll are staying safe.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I read on BBC news online that Cuba was hit badly as were some of the other islands in the area. In fact on one island (Haiti? I don't remember) they said 80% of homes were destroyed. Wow! Those are some poor people anyway - what a disaster for them. I saw in the last few hours on television how high the water is on the Texas coast. Makes earthquakes in California look a lot safer.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Well Ike hit last night..I heard this morning MILLIONS are without power in Houston. Thats the worst...the flooding the power outages, the structural damage...ugh

When Jeanne and Francis came through within two weeks of each other, we didnt have power for over TWO WEEKS. We had a generator and a window air conditioner and tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to dry our clothes outside on lines...and kept moving the power cords from one appliance to another to keep it all going and the food cold. Yeah...not good. We had so much tree damage in our neighborhood that the piles of tree limbs and cuttings not only obliterated the view of your neighbors house but narrowed our road to only one lane. That was sad too...all those beautiful trees. And then the pine bore insect infestation started and all the pines who were weakened by the hurricanes were killed by the bugs! We had 32 beautiful pines ....now we have 3.

:*(

Waiting to hear from y'all!!

LD

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

BTTT - Thinking about you

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

BTTT.....

We are all thinking of you!!

Let us know what we can do to help!!

Share this