HURRICANE IKE!!!

by White Dove 34 Replies latest social current

• White Dove
    White Dove

Who of us will be affected? Please report in so we will know you are safe when it's over

What are your plans? I don't expect you to be at the computer right now.

Please be safe!

• LisaAnn
    LisaAnn

Um... my yuppie cousin's daughter's wedding was planned for October in the Turks/Cayman Isles and now it's cancelled. Sorry, hope that's not too disrespectful. Not that I had money to go to it, but I heard that the islands are off limits through November.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Worried for everyone, too.

BTTT

• Quandry
    Quandry

I live in Houston. I work in an elementary school. Yesterday, it was announced that there would be no school today. We had to get everything away from windows, all books in cabinets, every piece of computer equipment unplugged, and covered with plastic. Lotsa work!!!

Our family had already gotten gas and food. Good thing, because the gas stations began to run out of gas anywhere around from Galveston (on the coast) up to Houston. People were crowding into groceries looking for batteries and water. Home supply stores like Home Depot were besieged by people buying plywood for boarding up windows, and generators, as they are expecting alot of damage and no utilities for awhile after the hurricane.

We have put all of our lawn furniture in the garage, filled up an ice chest with ice, and will put water into both bathroom tubs in case the water is off and we need to flush toilets with it. I am washing all my dirty clothes, and will wash and change the sheets while we have electricity.

Show time is tonight-Friday. The mayor of Houston is on TV urging the idiots who are thinking of staying in Galveston and surrounding areas to evacuate while there is still time. He is telling everyone that hospitals are not shelters to go to when the storm comes. The water is flowing over the seawall in Galveston, flooding the area, and the hurricane eye is still 200 miles off the coast.

Will keep everyone updated until the electricity goes off.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Anyone in the path of Ike, please stay safe.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Im really concerned about you guys over there....please dont take any chances. Its too late now to get out of town so hunker down. And dont stay in a mobile home. Having gone through Jeanne, Francis and Wilma in two years, and the amazing amount of rain and damage they can produce, Im nervous FOR you over there!

pllllease let us know how you fared!

LD, West Palm Beach

• Quandry
    Quandry

Lovesdubs

Hunkering being done here!! Would you believe we moved to Texas from Florida? Was there at the time of Andrew. But didn't live near Miami. I know Fla. has really gone through rough times recently!! Guess it's our turn......

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I just finished talking to my brother who lives just south of Houston. The sun is shining but he can see the dark clouds coming from the south. His wife left with the horses yesterday. He has a couple of things to do and hopefully he will leave by noon. He is taking his laptop so he will still be able to communicate with us. I pray that everyone will be safe.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Here is an update on the hurricane. Galveston is on the coast, and will bear the brunt. Even before noon, the ocean was coming over the seawall (built to keep the water out of town during hurricanes). Homes are built on stilts close to the ocean, but the water is already washing the sand from underneath them, and the storm surges have come into downtown.

The authorities were out all morning begging people to leave. Some are heeding, but soon the water will be over the only road out. Then it will be too dangerous for the rescuers to stay.

We are expecting the main winds here in Houston this evening. (Fri.) The main problems may be tornadoes, and lack of electricity for many days following the hurricane.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Please stay safe!

Don't forget to have enough drinking water on hand. It's really important to stay hydrated, especially when you're under stress and potentially have lots of clean-up to do!

Thinking of all you Texans.....

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit