Annoying trend in TV commercials...

by Gregor 57 Replies latest social current

• M.J.
    M.J.

Gieco ads are so annoying I've figured it was intentional. Same with Aflac. Ditto for anything from Capital One credit cards.

Countrywide mortgage is just lame.

I agree the amount of commercials is getting much worse. It's even worse on network TV than on cable now. I was trying to watch "National Treasure" on NBC the other day. I swear, every 5-10 minutes there was a commercial break.

I must say, however that the 80s commercials were even worse, in my opinion. They used to try to bring a jingle into every commercial. With an extremely lame sounding chorus of singers. Some of those insidious jingles remain in my head to this day. "shower to shower each day..."

At least some time in the 90s they switched to try and make commercials funny.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Dinah, the worst ones are where they try to work in the side-effects warnings into the actual script instead of the voice-over, and so the actors try to make it sound like a natural discussion. UGH!

• dinah
    dinah

Yeah, like the hot doctor talking to all her girlfriends about Yaz. *barf*

• observador
    observador

"I agree the amount of commercials is getting much worse. It's even worse on network TV than on cable now. I was trying to watch "National Treasure" on NBC the other day. I swear, every 5-10 minutes there was a commercial break."

I have tried to time the program and commercials so annoying the excessive breaks have become. I thought it was only me. TV shows are becoming almost unwatchable now. Most shows on TV now are designed to break every about 6 minutes with a commercial break of about 3 minutes. It's horrible to watch.

What I don't understand is that people watch less TV because of the commercials; then, TV people think "oh, we have to make up the revenue loss by extending the commercial time"; then, people watch TV even less; then, the TV people...

It's such a dumb strategy.

One thing is true, I think: it has never been so cheap to advertise on TV as it is now. Even Manny's hardware store is advertising now.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The most annoying commercial I've been seeing lately is for some stupid fabric softener or detergent or something. The ad says:

Infuse your clothes every day with the luxurious fragrance of white diamonds and lotus flowers.

The... FRAGRANCE... of... WHITE DIAMONDS! Show me someone who thinks white diamonds have a 'fragrance', and I'll show you a moron. Of course there's quite a lot of annoying ads vying for a close second.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    The guy who sings the jingles for Free Credit Reports, I would gladly spend the rest of my life in prison if I could just strangle him to death.

I think he's cute

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'd like to headbutt Billy Mays.

I don't mind commercials that are informative and describe a product or service. When possible, I avoid doing business with companies whose commercials are idiotic or insulting.

W

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    The... FRAGRANCE... of... WHITE DIAMONDS! Show me someone who thinks white diamonds have a 'fragrance', and I'll show you a moron.

White Diamonds is the name of a perfume for women by Elizabeth Taylor.

• Gregor
    Gregor

In todays Wall Street Journal. A study has shown that the TV ads for prescription drugs have not been as successful as the drug mfgs. had hoped. As someone said above, by the time they recite all the side effects (required) I think a lot of people decide to stick with chicken soup and a couple of aspirin.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I haven't had a TV in 6 years. I'm Daniel-P and I approve this message.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit