Another push to make US use %@#* $1.00 coins

by Gregor 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gregor
    Gregor

The gov't has been trying to get us to use these clunkers for years. I think this is the third try in the last 20 yrs. This time they are so desperate they are putting out PS spots talking about how much this will save the gov't (as we all know the gov't is always looking for ways to save money) and that, of all things, it is a GREEN thing to do...

Most men carry their money in their pockets/wallet. I figured that on an average day I accumulate at least $5.00 in ones from change. Unless you are constantly asking merchants to convert these fishing weights into larger paper denominations you end up walking around using one hand just to hold your pants up.

When I have been in the UK I always ended up with big handfulls of coins. When you are in a hurry and don't feel like sorting out the coins for a small purchase you break a larger pound denomination and soon you are a mule hauling around metal slugs.

I think these new ones will disappear into hoarding or back in the banks just like the previous ones and we'll continue with paper dollars, I hope.

How do you feel about this vital issue?

PS Sorry Minimus, you are not the only one who can dream up thread topics.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Nothing wrong with $1 coins. If vending machines took them, I'd like them fine. If you're too lazy to sort your change and pay with it first, perhaps you could use some money management skills. Or if you really don't care, throw it in the charity boxes that are around everywhere. I don't like paper dollars.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

mmm - will anything ever truly challenge the mighty greenback

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't have a problem with $1 coins. Hell I don't have any money anyway so what do I care? But then I liked the $2 bill.

But if they're going to make it, then put Washington on the coin, and not Sacagewea or Susan B. Anthony. Go legit and not pander to special interests.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

First of all ... the penny is ridiculous. It costs more to make than it is worth. Same goes for the nickel.

A smaller nickel (a bit smaller than the current dime) and the elimination of the paper dollar would make sense.

The current dollar coin that most people don't use is fine. Maybe a $2 or $3 coin a bit larger would be good too.

Then start the paper at $5.

Rub a Dub

• Gregor
    Gregor

If vending machines took them, I'd like them fine....I don't like (bills)

Where have you been, JD? Vending is one of the primary drivers pushing $1.00 coins and has been for years. I dare you to find a vending machine in the US without a $1.00 coin slot. So since that is the case wtf are you talking about? My comment about sorting out coins was in reference to being in the UK where I have to look closely at a palmful of coins and usually have people waiting for me to pay for a candy bar or a sandwich.

Love your avatar. (Too lazy to select anything else ?)

• John Doe
    John Doe

Gregor, I've yet to see a vending machine with a dollar coin slot. Most have dollar bill changers, but not dollar slots.

• chickpea
    chickpea

cloth $1 cannot disappear fast enough!!

travel outside the states and one will discover
    many countries have ditched their lowest paper denominations
    which have a life expectancy from 16 to 89 months,
    compared to a coin's 30 year term of service.......

$1 bill21 months
    $5 bill16 months
    $10 bill18 months
    $20 bill24 months
    $50 bill55 months
    $100 bill89 months

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/pf/20070619_U.S._currency_a3.asp

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Makes no difference to me. I use my debit card most of the time anyway. The vending machines at work all accept dollar coins.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I was surprised when I was in the states and kept being given pennies and dollar notes. What was I supposed to do with the pennies? But that's not your topic. Your mint needs to stop printing dollar notes, they cost you too much. We had a lot of old-timers whining about the loss of dollar and two-dollar notes when we ousted them in the eighties. I have the smallest wallet in the world but I can still put a few coins in there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit