Another push to make US use %@#* $1.00 coins

by Gregor 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• StAnn
    StAnn

I love the dollar coins. Also, I can find hardly any vending machines around here that take them. Just the post office.

Some of the value in the coins, to me, is that you can tell the denomination by the size. I have a family member who is legally blind and often can't tell a 1 from a 10 on paper money and has been ripped off by cashiers more than once. He has to squint to look at the picture on the bill to know which bill he has. That's why the Susan B. Anthony didn't work for him, too close to the size of a quarter. He'll pay with 10 Sacagaweas rather than a 10 dollar bill to avoid been robbed by some crooked clerk.

Coinage is more handicapped-friendly.

StAnn

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

I invested in a suspenders factory back in 86 when the loonie came out here in the great white north, followed by the toonie. I retired a few years back as being independently wealthy. Lol ---- art

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've never seen a vending machine that takes dollar coins either. I'm so mad that they're taking my freedom away like this.

• blondie
    blondie

The change machine at work gives out dollar coins. The problem is that you cannot get change for a dollar coin, only a paper dollar......

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Not many were in favor of the one & 2 dollar coin but you get used to it after the change happens, the only pain is having too much change to carry around.

h40

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

I carry a large napsack now for our Loonie and toonie's it SUCKS! To bad America is going broke,now you know how Canada felt when we could no

longer have Designer One Dollar Bills ! LOL!

• sir82
    sir82
    travel outside the states and one will discover
    many countries have ditched their lowest paper denominations

Travel outside the United States and one will discover that the US is the ONLY non-3rd-world country on the PLANET without a coin with an equivalent value of $1-3.

So the government wants us to use the $1 coin? Solution: Grow some cojones & stop printing the $#%@!! paper dollar! Problem solved. They've been moaning about "why oh why don't people use the dollar coin?" for decades while simultaneously producing billions of dollar bills.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Has anyone noticed how damn ugly the new colored US bills are? What the hell is up with an orange $10 bill? I have a $1 Cayman Islands bill and a $10 and they are infinitely prettier designs with the underwater life on the reverse... what does America get...Monopoly money....

and you wont see the $1 bill go away any time soon... someone has a lucrative contract supplying the special paper that goes into making paper money... which congressman is getting donations? follow the paper trail... now 2 contracts go out.. one for paper, one for metal to make the coins (I think Olin Corp. is one with the metal contract)...

Snakes ()

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think its a great move and in fact, the US has been so wasteful in their methods of switching paper to coin that it's cost the taxpayer millions. I spoke to a woman at a bank about this a few years ago when I tried to get one of the latest dollar coins. She told me that she didn't have any because people hoarded them. When I asked her if they were doing a straight switch which is what most countries do - in other words when a paper bill is brought in to the bank they are not recirculated but instead switched to the coin version - she told me no. People have a choice she said.

This is nothing more than a waste of tax dollars. It is a fact that coins last far longer and so it is more cost efficient to switch from paper and it's not a big deal when you start using them. When coin was introduced it should have been mandatory to switch vending machines and meters over within a time frame and move on....20 years and millions of dollars later it remains an issue and we've just wasted a few million bucks ....sammieswife.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

StAnn:

Coinage is more handicapped-friendly.

Well, every other country in the world manages to print notes of different denominations in different sizes and colours so the visually-impaired have no difficulties using them. It also makes it easy to tell at a glance how much money you have in your wallet, and it's much harder to make mistakes. But Americans seem to have stubbornly resisted that innovation too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit