I have tried to be an atheist

by stillajwexelder 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I have tried to be an atheist- honestly, I have really tried.

Yes, Stilla .. so have I ... so have I.

But after prayerful consideration of the matter, I couldn't bring myself to it.

Rub a Dub

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    Nice exercise of logic. It's truly astounding. You haven't seen me, so I too must be mythical. Yet you responded to my post in such a way as to undermine at. So if you're responding to a 'mythical' person, doesn't that make you insane?

Sloppy, this is one of the most twisted attempts at logic I have seen on this forum and there have been many. Your desire to endorse the bible, the god of the bible and a belief in a devil has blinded you to all reason.

There have been hundreds of gods, demi-gods, devils, and other invisible inventions that have all been revered and worshiped. Your narrow minded concept of a god that you choose to believie in is nothing more than that. A narrow minded minded concept of a god that you choose to believe, in nothing more than that. The fact that you considerer me insane for choosing to select a different god or concept is self-delusion at it worse.

As for your own existence although your response to me indicates that you exist, it does nor prove that you are really called sloppy, or believe the words that you type.

If god were to post me a message I would still need some prove that he really was god. Some people have had several identities on this forum and none of them have been real, just inventions. The bible was written by many different people all about a person called god. Maybe the people were real but their invention is subject to scrutiny.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Interesting, Stilla.

I have not tried to be atheist, and don't know if I ever will be atheist.

But I certainly have begun to come to grips with " I haven't a damned clue about if God has any interest in me, or His nature, or what any of that means to me now." It is actually refreshing to finally understand that. I have quit searching for God, and have begun searching myself and my limited universe for the things that keep me happy and smiling as much as possible.

In all that, though I know not the nature of God, I still believe that a much higher power than man exists somewhere, somehow. I don't cling to it, but it hasn't departed yet, so I continue to accept that for the time being. I don't know if I will ever know [has anyone ever known for sure?], but I am coming more and more to peace with not knowing.

None of that might make sense to anyone but me perhaps. The journey continues, but with limited intensity and struggle for me.

Namaste

Jeff

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    actually the opposite is true - I really don't want to believe

What are you afraid of?

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

I'm not surprised, science cannot prove that we're here by either chance or design. Both require faith.

• beksbks
    beksbks

yourmomma,

to see a person that intelligent suggest he wants to take my human rights away is scary as hell.

I'm really curious about this comment. Can you give me some examples???

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Proof of science itself exists, though.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg
    Proof of science itself exists, though.

People put too much faith in science.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    YOU CANNOT AND WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER BOOK THAT TELLS US ALL WE NEED TO KNOW TO LIVE A LIFE OF LOVE AND PEACE WITH ALL, THAT ALSO CLAIMS TO BE FROM GOD!

?????

Sooooo if it claims to be from God and you like what it says it must be from God? Whatever floats your boat.

• Slappy
    Slappy

Sooooo if it claims to be from God and you like what it says it must be from God? Whatever floats your boat.

Sooooo if it claims to be from God and you DON'T like what it says it must not be from God? Whatever floats your boat. It runs both ways, it's all personal perception. I didn't used to like what it said; the whole fornication thing was a big problem for me. However, as life went on, and I saw all the pain and suffering 'casual' sex and the like caused in people's lives, I realized that there was a very good reason for that 'law', and it wasn't 'just because God said so'. So let's rephrase what you said. If it claims to be from God and it contains truths that can be applied in everyday life to make our lives better and happier, then there's a good chance that it comes from a God who knows all and cares for us, moreso than we care for ourselves.

There have been hundreds of gods, demi-gods, devils, and other invisible inventions that have all been revered and worshiped. Your narrow minded concept of a god that you choose to believie in is nothing more than that. A narrow minded minded concept of a god that you choose to believe, in nothing more than that. The fact that you considerer me insane for choosing to select a different god or concept is self-delusion at it worse.

Gladiator, you somehow missed my point, yet again, and took it personally when it wasn't meant as such. Why must you feel the need to take things personally? It couldn't be because I'm questioning something that has every right to be questioned, and that questioning is somehow threatening you...can it? Pray tell. I didn't consider you insane for choosing to select a different 'god'. I said you were insane because you responded (communicated) with me, and since you hadn't seen me, I must not exist (applying the same logic you use to say the devil doesn't exist). And if I don't exist, but you communicate with me anyway, that makes you insane, no?

slappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit