I have tried to be an atheist

by stillajwexelder 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Sooooo if it claims to be from God and you DON'T like what it says it must not be from God? Whatever floats your boat.

?? Huh??

And I said that where?

Assume nothing.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Slappy

I am not sure where you get the idea that I feel threatened or that I take your insults personally but what I have learned about you, from your comments, is that you will believe what you choose to regardless of facts, provided those beliefs fit in with your needs. But back to the matter in hand.

I reply to your posts because you post on a subject that interests me. The existence of your posts is proof enough to me that you exist. Until I receive a reply from your god I will remain uncertain of its existence.

I exist too. I am from Rome and am a reincarnated Gladiator. My name is Maxims Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.

I have many gods both Greek and Roman who protect me. This is why I do not feel threatened by you or your tiny Israelite god. You even have a photo of me and I reply to your posts. Now you believe in Gladiators too.

Hail Cesar!

Edited because my computer keeps changing Slappy to Sloppy. Unless it is those damn demons again. My apologies.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Proof of science itself exists, though.

People put too much faith in science.

People put too much faith in god.

Science--knowledge exists. Picking and choosing what we wish to remain ignorant on does not equal knowledge, just ignorance. So when it comes down to it, to have faith means one must remain ignorant. Choosing to question equates to arrogance in a lot of folks' opinions when that is not the case. Living without faith means not accepting things blindly and questioning them instead, rather than being fearful of nothing.

Stilla---I tried really, really hard to not be athiest. I lost and rationality won.

Science:

Main Entry:
    sci·ence Listen to the pronunciation of science
    Pronunciation:
    \ ' si-?n(t)s\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin scientia, from scient-, sciens having knowledge, from present participle of scire to know; perhaps akin to Sanskrit chyati he cuts off, Latin scindere to split — more at shed
    Date:
    14th century
    1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding 2 a : a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study <the science of theology> b : something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science> 3 a : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method b : such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena : natural science 4 : a system or method reconciling practical ends with scientific laws <cooking is both a science and an art> 5 capitalized : christian science

Faith:

Main Entry:
    1 faith Listen to the pronunciation of 1faith
    Pronunciation:
    \ ' fath\
    Function:
    noun
    Inflected Form(s):
    plural faiths Listen to the pronunciation of faiths \ ' faths, sometimes ' fathz\
    Etymology:
    Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide
    Date:
    13th century
    1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions 2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust 3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction ; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith> synonyms see belief — on faith : without question <took everything he said on faith> By definition, I have no faith in science because I do question everything.
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Slappy said:

'be·liefalt –noun

1. something believed; an opinion or conviction

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof

3. confidence; faith; trust: (a child's belief in his parents.)

How does belief not apply to God again?'

The story about the 6 blind men and the elephant comes to mind.

--
    The blind man who feels a leg says the elephant is like a pillar; the one who feels the tail says the elephant is like a rope; the one who feels the trunk says the elephant is like a tree branch; the one who feels the ear says the elephant is like a hand fan; the one who feels the belly says the elephant is like a wall; and the one who feels the tusk says the elephant is like a solid pipe.

A wise man explains to them

All of you are right. The reason every one of you is telling it differently is because each one of you touched the different part of the elephant. So, actually the elephant has all the features you mentioned.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant

---
    The blind men elephant story may be applied to mystics, those who actually touch 'god'. However, belief, confidence and conviction in believers all lack direct experience. Believers deny their blindness. At least mystics know that they are blind and see only a small part. Perhaps, one day you may qualify to become a blind man;)

S

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I lost and rationality won.

Believing in God is not unrational.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit