I have tried to be an atheist

by stillajwexelder 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

How does a belief in god suddenly assume belief in a mythical devil?

Do they come as a set?

Yes

• Slappy
    Slappy

Belief in God means there is belief in the Bible. God says that there is a fallen angel (Beelzebub, Satan, Lucifer, etc... he has many names) who is in direct contradiction with the desires of God. Hence, they do go together. Can you deny that there is a balance in the world? If there was only God, who is the emobodiment of 'good' then things would only be good. Yet they're not, so there must be an opposing 'force' to balance out that 'good'.

Mythical devil? You haven't seen him so you assume he's mythical? Nice exercise of logic. It's truly astounding. You haven't seen me, so I too must be mythical. Yet you responded to my post in such a way as to undermine it. So if you're responding to a 'mythical' person, doesn't that make you insane? You haven't seen your heart either, so you must assume it's mythical also. So if you have a mythical heart, does that mean you're dead? Yet you can't be dead (physically) because you responded. What about your brain, haven't seen that either have you? So if you have a mythical brain does that make you brain-less? Yet you can't be brain-less (however much proof there is to contrary ) because you formed a coherent response.

slappy

• yknot
    yknot
    Belief in God means there is belief in the Bible.

There are and have been lots of Gods/ Goddesses/ demi-Gods etc......most never mentioned in the bible.

Just an observation.....

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Belief in God means there is belief in the Bible.

Does it?

I have to disagree.

Belief in God does not equal belief in the bible. It depends on Which God you believe in, worship etc. A person who believes in say Zeus isn't going to believe in the Bible, and therefore would not believe in the Devil.

• chickpea
    chickpea

stilla....
    i could have written that statement as well

just this morning, having a coffee break from studying
    my anatomy and physiology text for a test ... i marvelled
    at length in convo with the hub about the amazing complexity
    of (voluntary) muscular movement and the brilliance of, dare i say it, design.....

i told him it is hard to disbelieve at least intelligent "direction"
    when the very act of motion, just one aspect of life on earth,
    is such an intricate and precise mechanism with a myriad of
    coordinated and choreographed elements....

i dont know what i believe or even disbelieve at this point.....

i guess if a god does exist and that it should matter to me...
    he/she/it can figure out how to get me to understand that

• Slappy
    Slappy

Satanus:

be·lief alt –noun

1. something believed; an opinion or conviction

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof

3. confidence; faith; trust: (a child's belief in his parents.)

How does belief not apply to God again?

yknot:

Sure the Bible does, it mentions Diana in Acts 19 several times. It also mentions many many 'gods' in the OT. Are any of those 'gods' still around? The mere fact that they are no longer around renders their 'godhood' void. I'll ask again, do any of those other 'gods' claim a book that gives us so much insight into the human nature and tells us how to live a life; which, if everybody were to follow, would make this world about as perfect as it could be? Didn't think so.

blackswan:

Notice I said God, not god. Which 'god' isn't even a point. A car can be a 'god' for some people. So can a sports team, or an organization, or another person. Anything that is able to control our lives is a 'god'. However, give me one of these that makes the claim that God has in the Bible and is able to tell us exactly the way we are even though it has been written millenia ago.

YOU CANNOT AND WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER BOOK THAT TELLS US ALL WE NEED TO KNOW TO LIVE A LIFE OF LOVE AND PEACE WITH ALL, THAT ALSO CLAIMS TO BE FROM GOD!

slappy

• yknot
    yknot

yknot:

Sure the Bible does, it mentions Diana in Acts 19 several times. It also mentions many many 'gods' in the OT. Are any of those 'gods' still around? The mere fact that they are no longer around renders their 'godhood' void. I'll ask again, do any of those other 'gods' claim a book that gives us so much insight into the human nature and tells us how to live a life; which, if everybody were to follow, would make this world about as perfect as it could be? Didn't think so.

Hinduism

Mayan - Popol Vuh

• Slappy
    Slappy

How many authors contributed to the creation of those books? Over what span of time were those writings put together? The Bible contains many contributing authors over the course of a few thousand years, and all have reference to the SAME God. Astounding, no? The Bible also gives a beginning and an end. Both of those are in question however, because we have seen neither. And science is doing its damndest to prove the beginning part wrong. While conveniently ignoring those things that prove it right. As for the end, who can say? Although JWs are doing their best to make people completely disbelieve the fact that there will be an end (in a round about way).

slappy

• Robdar
    Robdar
    It was in letting go of the struggle and focusing on living life and just being the best person I was able to be, rather than looking for the "meaning" behind it all, that I was able to have glimpses of clarity and realization. It was maybe five years ago that it dawned on me: wow, I guess that means I'm atheist. I hadn't put much thought into what, exactly, I believed for some time, but as my values and ethics developed, so did my beliefs evolve.

Hi Scully,

Are you sure you're an athiest? IMO, you sound Jewish.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Don't worry, it's not like some atheist god is going to strike you down for not believing in not believing. ;) The FSM might not let you into its heaven with the stripper factory and the beer volcano though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit