I have tried to be an atheist

by stillajwexelder 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have tried to be an atheist- honestly, I have really tried. I have most of Dawkins books and many others. I completely agree there has to be some evolution and obviously the fossil record in the Grand Canyon plus erosion shows it must be at least 600 million years old. Genetics also tells us much. However, I still believe in some higher being. Cant be the person in the bible, because if you believe the bible that being is a jerk. There is no such thing as a trinity or hellfire but I still can not move all the way to being an atheist.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    I still believe in some higher being

same here

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

If you are trying to be an atheist you missed the point and do not know what an atheist is.

Look around, believe what you see. Believe what you smell. Believe what you hear. Believe what you physically feel. Believe what you taste. Believe what there is proof of. If there is no proof then don't believe it simple as that. If you have other senses that I don't have, fine. Prove the existence of the other senses and help me develop that sense. Maybe then I'll sense god. If there is a "spiritual sense" great! Describe it, define it and once you have scientifically proven its existence then share your info by publishing it.

Simply put, atheism is not a belief, it is simply lacking sufficient evidence or proof to form a belief in something. It is lack of belief. Non-belief. If you have enough evidence for YOU to be convinced that some thing exists out there, then by all means you should believe it. If not, you would be crazy to believe it.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

of course I can not prove there is a God. Unless I can do the math (math being the purest science) then I can not prove it. However, I am still struggling to be an atheist and please do not throw the ANTHROMORPHIC principle at me

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

you cant prove or disprove God with science. i find atheists are similar to alot of Christians. they are both arguing over science and creation proving or not proving God. i respect the atheists that simply say that for themselves personally they require empirical evidence. however where some lose me is when i am not allowed to disagree with their personal belief, or am told that if science cant prove God, he doesn't exist. who made that rule?

also, what i really dislike on both sides are the dogmatic intolerant christians that want to lock up atheists, and the dogmatic intollerant atheists that want to ban religion and take my right to believe away because they dont like my beliefs. its crazy how some of these nut jobs try to explain why its ok to take away my freedom, its scary. frankly im tired of all these debates on youtube. all it is for most of it is two people on their soap boxes proclaiming "i am right, you are wrong, if you dont agree with me you are stupid or going to hell, etc."

its the same with anything, there are reasonable, normal, good people in each group weather it be race, religion, whatever. and there are always going to be zealots who make their group look bad. it just disturbs me more when i see atheists do it since they have their facts straight about the age of the earth, etc and the majority of them are very smart. to see a person that intelligent suggest he wants to take my human rights away is scary as hell. i expect that from a person who doesnt even understand that dinosaurs cant be on the ark with Noah, but not from a person that can explain and break down deep science concepts, etc.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Since atheism is a lack of belief, it should come effortlessly.

Sounds to me like you really, really, really wanna believe in a higher being. That's your prerogative.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I completely agree there has to be some evolution and obviously the fossil record in the Grand Canyon plus erosion shows it must be at least 600 million years old. Genetics also tells us much. However, I still believe in some higher being. Cant be the person in the bible, because if you believe the bible that being is a jerk. There is no such thing as a trinity or hellfire but I still can not move all the way to being an atheist.

You sound like me. Especially at 2 in the morning when I can't sleep.

Frankly, in all sincerity, as God is my witness (), I actually do hope atheists are right. The idea of dying and finding nothing, just going to sleep, is really very, very, very comforting to me. Much moreso than any religion (Christian or otherwise) would have me believe.

Sounds to me like you really, really, really wanna believe in a higher being

Yeppers. Still waiting for that burning bush. And waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting . . . .

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Having a burning bush experience sounds cool. But it would screw you up if ever did really happen to you. I mean, really... what would you do with that experience?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

actually the opposite is true - I really don't want to believe

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm OK right now not being sure of anything. I believe in the possibility of just about anything until proof positive or negative takes away that possibility.

Right now, I want to believe in reincarnation and that there are a group of higher beings that help us into our next life or ascend, or something like that.

But, I just can't stand that mean old god of the Bible and Allah and whoever else kills if someone doesn't believe "unto him."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit