Pioneer hours change

by JWFreak 99 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

The timing is quite bizarre.

If this is supposed to be effective Sept. 1, why wait until August is nearly over to inform people? You'd think they would give the JWs a couple of months of lead time, to allow elders to encourage people to begin pioneering, to allow people to plan & rearrange schedules, etc. With just a few days' lead time, I don't expect many people to sign up for Sept. 1.

If new pioneers are not signed up by Sept. 1, they can't go to pioneer school the following summer. If you sign up for October 2008 or later, you can't attend school until August 2010. And that school is viewed as the "reward" for toughing it out the first year. If a JW has to wait 23 months (instead of 12) to attend the school, that's not much of an incentive.

The change from 90 to 70 hours was at least one month in advance, maybe longer - don't recall. And it took place in January - middle of the service year.

The organizational changes continue to lurch along - there seems to be no planning, no thought to finding the ideal time to announce these things. It gives the appearance of an organization in disarray, that is thinking up stuff and implementing it off the cuff, no thoughts to repercussions, consequences, etc.

Very different from the past, and very odd. What's going on?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Just out of school putting in 90 hours a month... Why didn't they lower it then?

You see, the end was closer back then then it is now, so there was a greater sense of urgency. Back then, the end would arrive before the generation that lived during 1914 died off. Now, the end of the world will get here whenever it gets here.

Seriously, though. I feel your frustration. I was a regular pioneer back when the requirement was 1,000 a year.

The organizational changes continue to lurch along - there seems to be no planning, no thought to finding the ideal time to announce these things. It gives the appearance of an organization in disarray, that is thinking up stuff and implementing it off the cuff, no thoughts to repercussions, consequences, etc.

I've noticed this too and have commented about it before. To me this is a sign of a power struggle at the very top. Notice how the GB has been at 9 members since 2005 and there have been no new appointments. Perhaps a new GB member or two could break the gridlock and upset the balance of power on the GB and they can't reach a consensus on which new GB members they want to call up. It's very strange, but they are definitely giving off mixed signals.

• minimus
    minimus

Now, there's no reason for everyone not to pioneer! Praise Jah!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Dozy Service yr runs from Sept, not Jan

1/9/08 is september not jan...

this is the uk where dates make sense

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL ok thanks I just learned something.

Thanks

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

so this is effective as of Sept 1, 2008? Everyone will have like 1 weeks notice b4 the new service yr?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

mon plaisir

1 weeks notice b4 the new service yr?

well my sis cong just got told...

cos i told them lol

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Rapunzel fewer than 1 in 6 Witnesses live in the US, and the long term trend is for a smaller percentage of the total numer of Witnesses living in the US.

There are more Witnesses per head of the population in lots of countries outside the US: like Mexico, Cuba, Zambia, Italy and so on.

This site is good although it has not been updated for a couple of years:

http://www.jwic.com/stat.htm

And hour requirements (as with almost everything else) are internationally uniform.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

sir82:

If new pioneers are not signed up by Sept. 1, they can't go to pioneer school the following summer. If you sign up for October 2008 or later, you can't attend school until August 2010. And that school is viewed as the "reward" for toughing it out the first year. If a JW has to wait 23 months (instead of 12) to attend the school, that's not much of an incentive.

this is exactly what happened to me waaay back in the mid 80s.. (back when it was 90 hours/mo). I had signed up way before Sept 1, but between the BOE being a bunch of slow a$$es and the boys at Bethel getting inundated with apps that year..I wasnt approved until Oct 1...even though I was already doing the hours in Sept... so I had to wait the 23 months.

100.....90....70....50.....(what's the next lowest number in this series?.... 30? LOL)

Any of you lurker elders get this letter yet?

Snakes ()

• boyzone
    boyzone

this is just playing with statistics again. If the requirements for aux pios drop to 35 hours, then many more publishers might just think they can reach that and jump on the wagon. Its nice having the label of pioneer in the congregation, people look at you admiringly. This way more publishers will feel important, more distribution for the literature, more hours at the end of the year, more congratulating themselves in the next yearbook.

A shrewd move in all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit