Why I Hate the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society

by Darklighter 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

Well...this is just my take...but I really admire that you actually found and married your true love! I do not know your age or alot of the specifics, but...and this is just from my humble perspective. But.....just becauce you see it now, does not mean she has to see it right when you do. Obviously she is doing alot of things well or you would not love her. I have 4 younger siblings. Each of them had absolutely their own belief system and defence mechanisms. I always argued the truth and they all found there peace with it. Now we are all out...10 years ago, I thought none of them would leave. So each person has to leave in their own comfortable terms. OUT!

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

DL - go ahead and have kids. They are the best thing to ever happen to us. They were the catalyst in getting me out of the org.

I was the faithful wife who was vacillating on whether or not to have kids, worried that I would be bringing them up in the faith practically on my own as hubby was 'weak and inactive'. Deep down I had a strong feeling I would regret life without children. It was only once we'd had kids that the whole routine of being a JW became a real burden and the lack of help from others in the congregation (unless it was to do with helping me get out on FS) became breeding ground for a seed of doubt to germinate. Long story short, hubby introduced the seed and we left within a week. He'd been imagining all sorts of scenarios, except that one of course, LOL.

Now I look back and think that I would never have made it out it I hadn't have had them - I was totally blinkered and relatively happy being a witness (didn't dream I had an option otherwise!).

It's been a rocky road but it's getting better every day and to have the kids but not to be bringing them up with all the JW baggage is worth the pain of getting here.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They helped make sure I would never have anyone to father a child in the first place. As if they needed any help--Jehovah Baghead had already done a super job at doing that, and the witlesses aggravated it even more.

And now they think I owe that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag (or themselves) a damn thing, or even a damn word of praise.

• Darklighter
    Darklighter

Thanks for the words IRDWOOAKH, DAWG, WTW, and EVERYONE really... you guys are very encouraging and helpful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sweetpea,

Sorry... I just can't risk it. I don't wan't to risk losing them to the JWs.

But your story gives me hope, obviously thats exactly what I'm hoping happens in my situation.

May I ask: What was the "seed of doubt" that your husband planted that really got you thinking?

~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of "planting seeds"...

I've completed my first major "seed" that I'm going to show my wife. I used alleymom's KISS mthod for debunking the myth of 607 but took it a a bit further. I found a good chunk of the scriptures that have a major event in them that relates to the exilic period and found the society's date for when they say it happened, and hand-wrote them into a horizontal timeline. Then I took those same scriptures and found when secular history pegs those dates, and wrote those on another timeline. The two timelines together make a very visual point: The WT version has a huge hole in it. In this way it's easier to see how secular history allows Daniel 2:1 to be taken at face value, instead of resorting to the WT wacky explanation that says Daniel didn't actually mean what he wrote there. I hand-wrote the timelines to make it look like I'm really trying to figure some shit out.

But no discussion about 607 is complete without addressing the "70 years" prophecy. Because (judging from the posts made by scholar) a JW will always fall back on "But... but... but... What about the Seventy Year Exile?" So it's important to address that point too. Soooo I took each scripture that deals with the "seventy year" prophecy and provided brief commentary on each instance, in order to show that NOT A SINGLE ONE points to a period of seventy years in exile. And then provided alternative explanations for the prophecy, i.e. Babylons 70 years of domination (609-539) and from destruction of temple to the completion of the new temple (586-516). Im my mind, both are right... sort of. There does indeed seem to be two semi-concurrent preiods of seventy years, or at least (and more likely) two perspectives on the same prophecy. Either way secular history provides no problem for the Bible in this case, UNLESS one is trying to prop-up the paper-mache date of 1914.

(I'll probably re-post the above info in a new thread with scans of my timelines and my "Seventy Years" word.doc for you all to inspect or if anyone wants it. I think I did a good job at keeping the whole thing really simple and non-threatening)

What do you think?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Because I cannot raise them to believe that they'll "never grow old in this system of things",

My mothers 75 and been out of the tower for 15 years and she still doesn't think she will grow old in this system of things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit