Why I Hate the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society

by Darklighter 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darklighter
    Darklighter

"Hate" is such a strong word for what I feel though. My feelings could more accurately be surmised in the simple question of "Why?". Regardless, my feelings are not warm. I started this road not really caring about them all that much, I just wanted to get out. Catholics, Baptist, Mormon, JW, it doesn't matter. The bottom line was: No more God and no more religion for me. But the more I've contemplated my situation, feelings of anger at the leaders of this beast of an organization have indeed welled up inside. Particularly towards, Rutherford, Knorr, Franz, and all the subsequent GB members, since they were the chief architects of the control that they've systematically built into the lives of innocent, trusting, God-fearing people. Their manipulating fingers invade the personal lives of every committed JW on the planet.

This affects each individual in generally the same way, but the subtleties are different. For example one individual might be homosexual and is forced to supress his natural impulses. Another might dream of being a professional athelete, and is instead relegated to a life of scrubbing toilets.

Personally, I have given up a college education for this organization (something I am currently rectifying, I already have 1 year of "higher education" under my belt).

But that's not the part that angers me...

It's the fact that I am married to a wonderful, intelligent, and beautiful woman; a woman whom I would absolutely be honored to have as the mother of my children. Yet, I cannot have children with this woman because I could not in good conscience raise those children as Jehovah's Witnesses. Because I cannot raise them to believe that they'll "never grow old in this system of things", the way I was. Because I cannot tell them that some drooly old men in Brooklyn are "Spirit-directed" and "God's Channel" despite having never done a single damn thing to deserve such lofty titles. Because I cannot lie to them they way the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society has lied to me. I can't tell my children that "it's okay" that this organization has been aware of facts that contradict their dogma yet refuse to change because "it wouldn't look good" and giving no thought to the detramental consequences that their sins of ommission would have on their loyal followers.

It's not okay. I can't rationalize away the mountain of evidence that proves they're nothing more than presumptuous old farts, of no more spiritual consequence than were the pharisees of Jesus' day, or even Ted Haggard for that matter.

I cannot bring them into a divided situation either. Actually, there's no reason a religiously divided family can't be as happy as one that isn't. Unless one of the parents is a JW. In which case it's damn near impossible, and that's just the way this self-appointed "channel" wants it. I will not force them to face all the hardships and divided loyalties that such a situation would entail.

So, because of the f**king Watchtower society, at least for the time being, I cannot know the joy of being a father with the woman I love. Should she choose to remain loyal to these men whom she's never met over her loyalty to me, then... well... then that's it. I'll have to decide then what to do if indeed things turn out that way.

I know some have asked recently "Why do you people hate the Watchtower so much?", and that got me thinking. So, I felt inclined to state my reasons. But I also completely agree with the need to keep that hate in it's proper place and to only attribute the Watchtower their fair share. In reality there are many things I am thankful for that I would likely not have received had I not been born into this faith. And I should also say that what I feel is not the hate of the bigoted and unreasoned "KKK" type, but rather the kind that the Bible admonishes us to have when it says to "hate what is bad".

And yes, the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is bad.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

WITCHTOWER BABBLE AND TRASH..

Puhlease

HB

• dawg
    dawg

I agree with you to a point... I hate the WTBTS, but those that follow it aren't innocent... I'm sorry, but they're not.

They should have had red flags go in their heads the minute the WTBTS said that questioning them was wrong... No man, nor group of men are above scrutiny. Yet, our family members make matters worse, they refuse to listen to us, refuse to fact check and then tell us we're following "Satan" for questioning men.

Nah, that's not innocence, that's stupidity! Ive often gotten just as pissed at my family for making me the first to make a stand, I've often asked myself why didn't someone years ago figure this out long before me since they've been in this catastrophe for the last 75 years?

I's really a no brainer. I shouldn't have been the first.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

it ruins peoples lives through shunning etc

• flipper
    flipper

DARKLIGHTER- There is nothing wrong with hating a " mind control cult ". I hate it probably even more than you ! That being said ; is there a way you can get your lovely, intelligent wife out of it before it's too late ? How long has she been captured in the witness cage ? There are some great books out there , " Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steve Hassan that has some good ideas to help us understand how to assist our relatives caught in a cult. I would highly recommend reading it if you get a chance ! Good luck to you, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dinah
    dinah

Dawg, you make a valid point. When you are taught that the GB is practically GOD from birth, I think some people just can't shake that. Is it their fault? Was it my fault for believing them for so long?

Fear holds them there. They are afraid to look on the internet or read a book because they know (probably subconsciously) how hard it will be to have all their beliefs come crashing down. Who instills the fear? The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses (or whatever sidestepping legal name they have now).

Love throws fear outside. I just love that expression.

• Darklighter
    Darklighter

Dawg: I hear what you're saying... But you must know it's just not that simple. I look at my family and I'm suprised that I'm the first one too. But then I look at the chain of events that led to me doubting the org, and then maybe I'm not so suprised. I can easily pick out several events that if they had not happened, or had they played out differently, I might still today be gushing over the latest "generation" change and how this "new light" is such a wondeful blessing from Jehovah.

• dawg
    dawg

Yea Dinah, but who or what do they really love? I don't believe the Bible is inspired by God, but it has some good words once in awhile... it says that you can't love God who you can't see if you don't love your brother who you can.

Is it love to tell another not to fact check? Is it love to not talk to your own son because he feels the facts do not show that the GB have the "truth", that they aren't inspired? And we all know, it's utter BS that these men know jack squat about anything... for the most part they're uneducated morons.. they are!

I'm sick of these people getting a pass, they'll get no more from me... I can damn well tell you that. They're not innocent nor are they loving.

How did you figure it out and they can't? See, it's what they want to believe that's all it is and if they're willing to sacrifice their love for me their own relative to defend a bunch of god damned idiots they've never met, then they are my enemies... period!.

In the US civil war it was brother against brother at times... this is a spiritual war, that we must win for all the future generations, just as those men stood firm to the death, we must firm, and it won't even cost us our lives..

• Darklighter
    Darklighter
    That being said ; is there a way you can get your lovely, intelligent wife out of it before it's too late ?

Still figuring that part out...

How long has she been captured in the witness cage ?

Her whole life. Just like me. Both of our families are 100% J-dub.

There are some great books out there , " Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steve Hassan that has some good ideas to help us understand how to assist our relatives caught in a cult. I would highly recommend reading it if you get a chance ! Good luck to you, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Yeah, that book keeps coming up... I think I should add that to my reading list. Can it help me get her out? If so, can you give me some examples of what the book recommends to do?

• heathen
    heathen

Dude , I wouldn't let something like that keep me from having children if that's something I wanted . No worse than brainwashing them about santa clause or easter bunny ,parents always lie to their kids . I don't know if the WTBTS still promises that you won't grow old in this world but they seem to be very motivated about the end being close .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit