Anti-College/Pro-Pioneering Convention Interviews

by Rohag 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rohag
    Rohag

Here's the text of interviews from the Friday afternoon "Young People - Walk by Holy Spirit in the Congregation" presentation at a 2008 Jehovah's Witness District Convention. This transcription approximately covers the second half of the presentation. I've omitted names and locations to preserve individuals' privacy. In a handful of places I've tried to capture vocal emphases by underlining stressed words. Any transcription errors are mine (and my aging ears') alone. Thanks to Ynot for providing access to .mp3 files of the talks!

Presenter: Do the same with long-term goals, looking farther into the future. How about regular pioneering, serving where there's a greater need, helping out a foreign language congregation, missionary service, Bethel service, Ministerial Training School, the list goes on and on. These too would be fine long-term goals.

In line with this thought of setting goals, let's again consult God's word, this map. Let's go to Proverbs 21 and verse 5; 21 and verse 5. It says, "The plans of the diligent ones surely make for advantage, but every one that is hasty surely heads for want." So it speaks of the wisdom, the advantage of making plans or setting goals, and then working hard to meet them, and the disadvantage of not doing that. So that's some good advice from Jehovah God: set goals and work hard to meet them.

It's also common when we're on a trip to ask for directions, isn't it? And it's the same with your trip or journey into the future. Pick some good mature, exemplary Christians, and ask them for direction, for help. Look at them as role models.

For instance we have these two Christians with us today. We'd like to ask them just a few brief questions. First of all we have Sister ___ ___, a regular pioneer in the ___ congregation. Sister ___, when your were a teenager, why did you choose not to pursue a higher education?

Sister Pioneer: Actually for me it was never a huge issue. From the time I was very young my parents groomed me to go into the full-time pioneer ministry.

Presenter: Alright, very good. So your parents gave you good direction. And what else helped you?

Sister Pioneer: Well, one thing that really helped me is that my older brother, who was pressured to go on into higher education, without hesitating at all refused, turned that down. And what I saw was that Jehovah really provided him with a job that was able to support his pioneer ministry. So I knew that if Jehovah did that for him, that he could do it for me also.

Presenter: Very good. So now when you were in school, what did you do to prepare for pioneering?

Sister Pioneer: Well again, my parents encouraged me to attend a technical high school. And what that was about was that if you chose a career, then all of your courses in school revolved around that career choice, and so all the curriculum was geared toward that. But the nice thing was that you were actually guaranteed a job when you got out of school.

Presenter: Alright. So how did things work out?

Sister Pioneer: What it was supposed to be was I was supposed to work a half a day my senior year and go to school in the other half of the day. However, by working very hard I, and going to summer school for just six weeks, I was able to graduate an entire year early and begin immediately pioneering.

Presenter: Alright, excellent. Now, looking back, why do you feel that you made a wise choice?

Sister Pioneer: Looking back on 39 years of full-time service, I have nothing to regret in the way I've lived my life. Materially speaking, I've really been in need of nothing. Spiritually speaking, I value very deeply my rich spiritual heritage. My parents, my husband's parents, all of their siblings, all of their children are all serving Jehovah, and most, the majority of them in the full-time ministry. I've had the opportunity and privilege to help many to come to dedicate their life to Jehovah, and also pioneering has helped me really keep focused on the work at hand.

Presenter: Any other blessings?

Sister Pioneer: Yes, the far majority of that time in the full-time service I got to spend along with my husband, and last but not least both of our children entered the full-time service along with their mates, and currently our son ___ and his wife ___ are enrolled in the 125th class of Gilead.

Presenter: Thank you. Next we have Brother ___ ___ from the ___ congregation. Brother ___, how old are you?

Young Brother: I'm 20 yrs of age.

Presenter: Alright, 20 years old. Why did you set spiritual goals when you were young?

Young Brother: At I Timothy, chapter 4 and verse 7, Paul wrote to Timothy, "Be training yourself with godly devotion as your aim." And with the help of personal study I saw that that was what I wanted to do with my life was to devote my life and my energies to Jehovah God. And really personal study helped me to see the need to set spiritual goals, how to stay focused on those goals, and then how to make changes in order to meet those goals.

Presenter: Alright. So How old were you when you began reaching some of these goals?

Young Brother: Well, as I progressed, I reached one of my goals, that being the regular pioneer service at age 17, and then later on when I was 18 I was appointed a Ministerial Servant.

Presenter: Alright, excellent. And what other privileges have you enjoyed?

Young Brother: Well, Jehovah has blessed me very much. I've had the privilege of giving public talks, helping on the RBC projects, with hurricane relief work, and also unassigned territory as well as one of my recent accomplishments is moving into a smaller congregation to help out where there is a greater need.

Presenter: Very good. So, are you happy with the way that your life is turning out?

Young Brother: Yes indeed, I wouldn't be happier. I'm pleasing Jehovah and also my parents. But whatever effort or sacrifices that I have to make or have made, there's so much joy and satisfaction in those, I'd, I wouldn't be happier doing anything else.

Presenter: We want to thank both of you very, very much. (Applause)

So again, you young ones, ask mature Christians for help and advice and you will get good direction. You young ones keep in mind that more than anyone else Jehovah wants you to make choices that are going to bring you the greatest happiness now and in the future. So remember him. Ephesians 5:17 says that "you should go on perceiving what the will of Jehovah is." So consult your map, study it, and work at applying it. Be led by holy spirit. By doing that you're showing Jehovah as it says in Proverbs 3:5 and 6 that you are "trusting in Jehovah." Yes, find joy in working within the realm of his Christian congregation. (Applause)

• Robert7
    Robert7

Yuck. Reading this I can just hear the canned responses on stage now... what a bunch of propaganda...

• gymbob
    gymbob

Likewise.....I can't stand to read that. Did we really believe this kind of s**t??

• White Dove
    White Dove

I believed it and followed that advice right into poverty with 3 kids. That is why I said that nothing good can ever come from a mind control cult. Period!

• dawg
    dawg

"My parents, my husband's parents, all of their siblings, all of their children are all serving Jehovah, and most, the majority of them in the full-time ministry".

"Serving Jehovah" my backside.... serving an organization of men... notice how the two intertwine in JW land.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    And what I saw was that Jehovah really provided him with a job that was able to support his pioneer ministry

Sure, but she doesn't say how well he's supported.

• White Dove
    White Dove

This makes me wonder how many are so destitute that when they get the literature from the hall and place it they keep the money instead of putting it in the boxes.

Do they make a business from it?

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

What I think is so sad is that the view of education changes depends a lot on where you live or who you listen to. When I lived in one area the C.O. gave a part on an assembly interviewing and commending those who had left college to pioneer. When he visited my congregation he encouraged young people to get an apprenticeship. That's what he did (and how long ago was that?) How many apprenticeships take high school students who have not taken trade type classes? He said that when people ask him if a 2 year school would be OK for their child he replies that he doesn't know what state their spirituality will be in after two years. Nothing on what their economic state will be ten years from then with no education. Shortly after this I moved to another state and at the cirucit assembly there was a young girl being interviewed telling us how she was pursuing an assoiciates degree at the community college while auxiliary pioneering. Why does this girl get to go and probably be able to sustain her pioneer service while others have to come off the list because of financial reasons due to not being educated enough to support themselves part-time?

• razorMind
    razorMind

I'm almost 98% positive that I have heard that first "experience" before at a DC in the past. The technical school, the going to summer school for six weeks and "graduating an entire year early!" rings very familiarly

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Recycling experiences. There was an elder in a former congregation of mine that was interviewed as a great example because he used his job's shift change to pioneer. He worked nights and pioneered during the day. What a great example for the rest of us. Nothing was mentioned that he wasn't very awake out in service, didn't talk much to us, the car group, not very friendly. But, a great example nonetheless. Well, he made it through pioneer school and then stopped pioneering. The next year there he was again, up on the stage at an assembly being interviewed on how he put spiritual things first by taking advantage of his job change to pioneer, yet he was not pioneering. What's worse? - that the elder giving the interview couldn't find or didn't bother looking for someone else who was "putting the kingdom first by pioneering" or the brother giving the experience to pioneer in order to go through pioneer school but not for the long haul?

And how long ago did this sister find a trade school that was so wonderful? 39 years ago? Is such a guarentee of a part-time job that will sustain someone still available? And the young brother- what's going to happen if he ever gets married, has a family.. how active will he be able to be with what -- homeschool diploma, GED?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit