suicide and explosion at Kingdom Hall on Sat. July 27

by kool aid man06 157 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

NFI:

Aren't they all?! At least they didn't make it 1935 since they'd have to change it now.

When we installed the keypad at our new KH many years ago, I suggested we make the code 1975.

They did not see the humor in that.

Oh...in case you want to visit.... the CO apartment code is (was) 4191....clever...

Snakes ()

• StAnn
    StAnn

bttt

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

The name was released today. I heard he shot himself in the bathroom. He torched the place and then ran to the bathroom to kill himself. Odd and tragic. He did go by Ed, so I assume his middle name is Edward. http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/727229.html

Man killed at site of Bates City fire identified

By BRIAN BURNES
    The Kansas City Star

Authorities today disclosed the identity of the man who died in a Saturday explosion and fire at a Jehovah’s Witnesses hall near Bates City.

Authorities said Ralph E. Phillips, 53, of Buckner died of what they believe was a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Officials have concluded that accelerant had been poured throughout the hall and then ignited.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Is there any chance of proving this guy was JW? I know stilla names this guy as JW but we all know that the congregation might not claim him as a member, like they did with that psycho kid in Minnesota...

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Can anyone in the area contact ANOTHER newspaper to see if they'll investigate the coverup by the first newspaper?

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I'm e-mailing this reporter. I e-mailed the first reporter from the original story, now I'll try this one.

I'll also try e-mail the editor of the Kansas City Star.

If all else fails, I'll get ahold of someone from "The Pitch." The Pitch is an independent newspaper here in the KC area. They usually aren't afraid to handle sensitive stories and investigate things pretty well.

The only problem is, since they're independent and local, their articles usually don't gain nationwide exposure.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

If there's an attempt to coverup by JWs within the KC Star, that would be big news. I would think competing papers would love that, as would national media.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

That would be a huge story but I have no idea if any JWs work at the Kansas City Star.

I think one or two other people from JWD have e-mailed people at the Kansas City Star as well. Either our e-mails are getting eaten up by spam filters, ignored, or the reporters haven't gotten to them yet since they receive hundreds of e-mails a day. The last is most likely IMO.

I'll keep trying!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't think there is any cover-up. Rather, the newspaper probably does not want to inflame prejudice. A man died here, under very sad circumstances. They likely are respecting the family's wishes for some semblance of privacy.

• DJK
    DJK

Locally the name of a suicide victim is witheld by the press unless it is sensationalized by other factors like murder-suicide. Even an obituary will say "Died suddenly" instead of suicide.

Possibly the press is letting this one pass, out of respect for the family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit