Are You a Glass Half Full Type Person ? Optimist or Pessimist ?

by flipper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

We've all heard the cliches . " When the going get's tough, the tough get going . " Etc., etc., ...... " Better to have loved and lost .... than never loved at all. " But what is your outlook on life in general ? When in tough spots what helps you get through it ?

Whether it's financiallly, emotionally, physically, or spiritually - do you think there is always a light at the end of the tunnel ? Or do you fear the worst ? What is it that gets you to that half full glass- or makes you look at it half empty ?? Look forward to your replies ! Take care all, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My life has been very frightening for at least the past couple of years. I suppose I must be a glass half full person because if I didn't have hope things will go right side up, I'd probably give up. I've been flying by the seat of my pants ever since I took in these grandchildren. That shows hope.

When I was a child, things were not so great at home. I won't detail it here. But I will say I was the most joyful child on any swingset. I was the one singing to the high heavens while I soared skyward, no matter how terrifying things were at home. I just didn't know how bad I really had it. I took life with a gusto. I was given the gift to see and to find the magic in everything under the sun and moon and stars.

While I was a JW, they slowly sapped that hope from me. I am recovering to my old self. And I hope somehow life will get easier for me soon. That hope keeps this bearable. And last night, just going to get ice-cream and taking the pretty route, with good company and music on the radio, it was as wonderful to me as taking a seven day cruise. When you are this poor and on ground this shaky, something as simple as a glass of lemonade can be splendid.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Half full every time.

Both my father and ex wife are half empty type characters, they do my head in always looking for the negative.

I am of the belief that if things are getting bad, then the only person who is going to put them right is me. Nobody is going to do it for me so what's the point in moaning. If it's something out of my control then accept it, if it's something that i can change then change it, but don't bring others down just because i feel fed up as it will only make things worse.

Paul

P.S. Have you noticed the reading glasses advert at the bottom?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

That shows hope.

Hah, FHN! That shows the patience of Job, the conviction of Jesus, and the commitment of True Love!

Seriously, you impress the pants off me...

• yknot
    yknot

Clinically diagnosed a rose colored glasses wearing energizer bunny pollyanna........who was challenged by being born to total pessimists!

• *summer*
    *summer*

As a rule, I am a "glass half full" type person. Positive attracts positive.

Life is all about duality. I was born...I will die. My job is to make the best of the "in-between" period. And I am the only one who can accomplish that.

When I am happy, I know it will not last forever. But when I am sad and depressed, I know it will not last forever as well. It is often a choice of mind over matter. And the mind is SO powerful! It can be a terrible Master. But once well trained, it can become a faithful Servant.

Yes, I believe there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. And if it happens to be the light of an incoming train...well...it is still a light

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

As a verrrrrrrrry young tyke, I recall being mesmerized by the petals of a flower. I could see the universe in a grain of sand. Well, that got "fixed" early on, let me tell you. You can't preach while looking at daisies.

My outlook and my emotional baseline are summed up in the word, "Bittersweet".

I am neither the pessimist nor the optimist, dear Mr. Flipper. I seem to always be aware that the glass is half full and half empty. Niether strictly Eeyore nor Pooh, both are ever present in my breast.

It creates the introspective personality that I work through. It keeps my eyes looking up from the pit into the clouds. Perhaps I know not where my feet actually step at times, but a part of me still sees the first petals that first caught my attention so long ago.

• changeling
    changeling

I'm a realistic optimist.

I hope and work for the best outcome. If it doesn't happen, I dust myself off and move on.

changeling :)

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I try to be an Optimist but life just won't let me .
    Everytime I think things are going to be ok or going good then something comes along and shoots me out of the saddle again.

If it wasn't for these recurring dreams of me being like King David and Solomon with like 500 wives and 500 concubines I'm not sure I could make it thru the day

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Void, I sent you a PM.

I'm like this song:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit