Name something that JWs believe in that isn't in the Bible

by Awakened at Gilead 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Here's a big one....

That Jesus used the name "Jehovah" when he prayed.

Really? Where? Sure, the Lord's prayer has "Hallowed be thy name," but he didn't utter Jehovah or Yahweh there. Nor did he utter the name "Jehovah" in John chapter 17 when he prayed that he made God's name manifest. Jesus NEVER utters "Jehovah" in ANY of his prayers that are recorded in the New Testament, even in the New World Translation. So, apparently, when he used "name" in those passages he was not referring to pronouncing the name, but was referring to the concept of what a name represents.

In fact, even though the NWT "restores" the name Jehovah to the NT (with absolutely no Greek manuscript support!), Jesus only utters the name "Jehovah" in the NWT just three times when he's not quoting Old Testament passages. All the other places where the NWT has Jesus uttering the name Jehovah are quotations from the Old Testament.

But, in reality, there is actually not one Greek manuscript of the NT which has Yahweh or Jehovah in it in Greek or Hebrew letters. Just check the Greek text of the Kingdom Interlinear to confirm that one. So, one of the JWs biggest doctrines (that Christians must use the name "Jehovah" to be saved) is not in the Bible!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

That the bible is a "prophetic book" that prophesies the existence of Russell, Rutherford, Knorr, and the FD Slave. (for you newbies, all those big 300+ page yellow, red and orange books on Ezekiel, Revelation, and Daniel frpm the 50's-70's were all about this.)

That God will judge and destroy individuals and households based on how a barely awake householder responds to the offer of colorful, yet cheap, magazine offered by a 6 year old on a Saturday morning. I am sure that is what Jesus had in mind when he said that "the good news of the kingdom will be preached" before the end comes.

That Jehovah is in the NT. That every time the use of the word "name" or the (para)phrase "...a people for his name" is used, that it absolutely refers only to YHWH, and only refers specifically to his name alone, as if it were a good luck charm. (a point Ray Franz beats the GB with like a pinata in the book "In Search of Christian Freedom")

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

They celebrate their wedding Anniversary,i don't think thats in the Bible.

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

These are all great!! Here's a couple more:

1. Kingdom Halls

2. questions for becoming an "unbaptised publisher". This one really got me to thinking.

3. Liason comittee. ( spelled probably wrong)

4. Worldwide preaching fund/any stupid comittee that has to be formed to just change a light bulb. Makes them feel important.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

No rap music. Even with so called ok lyrics. This was pushed in inner city congs. for a long time. My brother swore he'd never be a witness, cause then he'd have to throw out 90% of music.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

No beards

Skirts should be below the knee and above the ankle

Men cannot have an ear pearcing

No tattoos

Shirt (white preferred) and tie must be worn at a meeting

Jackets must be worn when handling microphones

And many, many more....

Paul

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

WTB&TS and women can't wear pants.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Having to answer a battery of questions before qualifying for baptism.

• flipper
    flipper

Uncle Ted Jaracz. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Bethelites (sorry Billy, you're not Biblical,lol)

eh, that's okay, I'm writing my own Bible anyway. But I digress...

Headquarters
    Brooklyn Bethel
    Mexico (or any other) Branch

"Guided by God's Spirit" contrasted with spirit directed, inspired, appointed, anointed, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit