10 Years International Crime Court: Towards World Law?

by hamilcarr 202 Replies latest social current

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

James,

How old is it? The organization "came into being July 1, 2002". It can only prosecute cases occuring upon that date or after. That is (a) - six years and a few days. not, (b). Why this is so hard to admit for H_S is beyond me, unless it a stubborn refusal to correct an honest mis-statement. May be significant since I have been called a mere school-boy on the subject. May also be significant if cases were to appear that were older than 5 years, but within the 6 years + a few days since it was founded.

Shaking head.......

How often do you need to be told. The ICC is NOT TEN YEARS OLD as you noted on the first page of this thread. It was instituted in document in July 2002, ITS FIRST ACTIVE ASSEMBLY was in NOVEMBER 2002, FIVE YEARS AGO.

How many cases has it successfully prosecuted? H_S first posted here, and I quote - "it has successfully prosecuted 12 cases". He has now posted exactly what I found in the wiki article, but again declines to validate the fact that no cases have yet been successfully prosecuted. Correct answer is still (a) - editorializations not withstanding.

The ICC has prosectued TWELVE defendents, most in absentia. TWELVE ARREST WARRANTS WERE ISSUED. FOUR ARRESTS MADE, TWO DEFENDANTS DIED ON THE RUN. FOUR ARE AT LARGE AWAITING ARREST FOR CRIMES THAT THEY HAVE BEEN PRODESUTED FOR. LOOK UP THE TERM PROSECUTE. That is where your mistake lies.

Is it related to the United Nations? Of course it is...H_S seems to confirm this, but continues to insist that it is "a completely different beast". Maybe it is, depending on your semantics, but it has similarities, origins, and relationships with the U.N. This idea does have a context here.: - ICC has yet to build a positive record of it's own (after the six years). Many reasonable persons would naturally compare it with the U.N. as far as getting any traction to actually accomplish it's charter, given that it is supported by a majority of the same members and is an unproven international organization having roots in the U.N. general assembly. Correct answer is (a), H_S demurs to say so but does not deny so. It is significant because the U.N. itself can provide case recommendations, just like a member nation. It is also worth noting that the prosecutor of the failed Congo case of this July got the exculpatory evidence from a U.N. confidential source, thus contributing to a failure of prosecution.

The ICC IS NOT RELATED TO THE UN, in an way shape or form. Its structure, methodology and above all its PURPOSE is NOT CONNECTED IN THE SLIGHTEST. The ICC and the UN have a working RELATIONSHIP but cannot in ANY WAY be compared to the UN as an organization, except as I have noted at least a dozen times in that IT HAS AN INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP. The ICC is an INTERNATIONAL COURT OF LAW - that is all. THE UN is not. They work together on occasion as does MacDonalds (another international organization that I am quite suure you are aware of!) and the FBI when matters of crime and legality are concerned. This does not make the FBI and MacDonalds a comparable organization.

My underlying point is this: we have not seen any real results in the six years and a few days of it's existence. It has cost well over 160 million euros during that time. It's relationship with the U.N. played a significant role in causing of the loss of its first attempt to try a case.

I have already stated that the ICC is an INFANT ORGANIZATION WITH ALL ITS START UP COSTS FRONT ENDED. For bloody hell's sakes, read peoples posts AND THINK ABOUT THEM before you respond. The 160 Million Euros has been used to structure, open offices, hire staff. pay wages, find financing, travel costs etc. et. etc. The 160 million Euro's is less than the cost of ONE MISSILE. Give this Organization a chance. It is barely six years old. Try to imagine setting up a window cleaning business that ecompasses a city. If you managed that in six years you would be viewed with admiration.

My immediate point is: while at least two posters here are virtually Fan-Boys for this body, and others openly decry that the U.S. sees faults with it and has not ratified membership, these enthusiasts casually gloss over any negative facts about this organization.

What negative facts? You have no clue what you are talking of James.

Folks like me who post some documented drawbacks or shortcomings with the ICC are labeled with "simplistic", "dense", or "uninformed".

There are just two folks who have done so on this thread, yourself and Burn. Both of you have made complete idiots out of yourselves by making definitive, sneering statements about an organization that both of you clearly knew NOTHING about. Since then you have tried so hard to validate your initial comments, but you have both failed miserably to do so. You were finished the minute that you tried to argue against fact with opinion, and yes, this is a very simplistic and dense thing to do in a debate James.

And yet the facts are the facts - 160 million euros, no convictions. I submit that in a few more years, we may well be asking where all that money went.

Shaking head again......

James, pretty soon you will be using your vote as a lethal weapon. For God's sakes, do your country a favor and educate yourself politically and learn to think critically before you cast your vote. I am beginning to understand why incompetent government appeals to may Americans.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

I still fail to see the humor. You judge me by my size? You do not know where I grew up and what I had to do to get through. Some saw a short latino and though it would be easy. Wrong.

lol....You would fail to see the humor, as it is at your own expense. You see, it is not that I see a short Latino, it is because I see a short Latino threatening a Martial Arts expert with physical harm.

That is the humor.

HS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I doubt it, if this thread is an indication, Euros seldom admit it when they are wrong. Besides, the point is not convictions, they could easily prosecute war crimes without the ICC, as has been done before. There are ulterior motives at work here.

Ad hoc tribunals have paved the way for a permanent international court.

We can't keep on reinventing the wheel.

(Ad hoc tribunals have been shown to fall easily into the trap of ad hoc victor's law which impedes pacification)

... unless you're a sheepdog.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I submit that in a few more years, we may well be asking where all that money went.

I challenged you to point at financial anomalies.

You failed to do so.

The discussion on the ICC budget is settled.

(Some brains work quicker than yours)

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    It is a manifestation of that European quality that always seems to appeal to position , rather than product.

That's probably why you resorted twice to the US gov't?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I have never heard of it but since this tread I have look at their web site and so far I can't see why someone would be afraid of it.

About the Court

Arabic

The International Criminal Court (ICC) is an independent, permanent court that tries persons accused of the most serious crimes of international concern, namely genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. The ICC is based on a treaty, joined by 106 countries.

The ICC is a court of last resort. It will not act if a case is investigated or prosecuted by a national judicial system unless the national proceedings are not genuine, for example if formal proceedings were undertaken solely to shield a person from criminal responsibility. In addition, the ICC only tries those accused of the gravest crimes.

In all of its activities, the ICC observes the highest standards of fairness and due process. The jurisdiction and functioning of the ICC are governed by the Rome Statute. Download the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (PDF, 448KB).

Click here for a detailed overview of the ICC.

I pasted some of the information on their site, I think this could resolve some of the concern. There is a lot more information and I don't see why there is concern, unless there is something I don't get.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    It is a manifestation of that European quality that always seems to appeal to position , rather than product.

lol...So speaks the person who has probably never set foot on European soil.

Tripe.

HS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

1998, July 17: Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court signed.

This treaty established the ICC.

This thread is devoted to the establishment of world law, in which the ICC plays an important role. So, to a certain extent, it's justified to say 10 Years International Crime Court, because, imo, the establishment is more important than the ratification (as far as the potential is concerned).

It was stated in Article 126 though, that it would come into force only after 60 countries would have ratified the statute.

This happened in April 2002.

3 months later, it became a binding treaty.

6 years or 10 years --- it depends on your perspective.

Btw, has anyone taken the courtesy to actually read the article the thread title was taken from?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I have never heard of it but since this tread I have look at their web site and so far I can't see why someone would be afraid of it.

The majority of Americans agree with you.

It's very odd to be accused of anti-Americanism (by James) if one challenges a minority view held by the US gov't and a small group of uninformed dollars.

One poster on this board lately said (I think IP_SEC):Our gov't sucks, we don't. Being a callous anti-American, I agree.

Some people though will never tend to the vox populi, nothing to do about it.

• llbh
    llbh

There is nothing wrong with being wrong if one is willing to adjust one's point of view in light of new evidence. I did so in response to your post on that and I appreciated it. Crowing about it here is a very poor show and also very revealing.

Dear burn i do remember your apology which i acknowledge., my point here was not to crow, but to show that you often speak without knowing what you are talking about.

You issue threats of violence , which is so wrong.

BTW i am English not European , we are no more homogenous than America is. I am very pro the European Union

Regards David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit