Do you believe that a woman has to be married to be happy?

by MsMcDucket 58 Replies latest social relationships

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm just wondering because I was raised to believe that a woman should get married and have children. I think that this is an out-dated philosophy and that girls shouldn't be taught that they have to be in a marriage to be complete. Please, discuss. I'm adding the divorce rate of Americans for additional information.

Divorce Rate

Welcome to divorcerate.org, the resource for providing information on the divorce rate in America and around the world.

What is the current divorce rate in America?
    It is frequently reported that the divorce rate in America is 50%. This data is not accurately correct, however, it is reasonably close to actual. The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that "Probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue.", which is actually a projection.

"50% of all marriages in the America end in divorce."
    The above statement about the divorce rate in America hides all the details about distribution, however.

Age at marriage for those who divorce in America

AgeWomenMen
    Under 20 years old27.6%11.7%
    20 to 24 years old36.6%38.8%
    25 to 29 years old16.4%22.3%
    30 to 34 years old8.5%11.6%
    35 to 39 years old5.1%6.5%

The divorce rate in America for first marriage, vs second or third marriage
    50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri.”

According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:
    The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
    The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
    The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

The divorce rate in America for childless couples and couples with children
    According to discovery channel, couples with children have a slightly lower rate of divorce than childless couples.

Sociologists believe that childlessness is also a common cause of divorce. The absence of children leads to loneliness and weariness and even in the United States, at least 66 per cent of all divorced couples are childless.

http://www.divorcerate.org/

• Blasty
    Blasty

interesting, information. Our society is definately changing, people don't place as much value on marriage obviously, but for some reason they enter into it.

I think it's all about how you were brought up really, a kid from a stable home could take the whole situation for granted, and not be a good mate. Where a kid from a divorced hom could hate the situation and end up being a good mate. Or visa versa.

And then a person with good values marries a person with poor values, one wants to save the marriage, the other could care less. Go figure.

maybe nobody should get married till they are like 70 haha.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

maybe nobody should get married till they are like 70 haha.

For sure, Blasty! They'd make great companions!

• JK666
    JK666

NO!

Neither does a man.

If the planets align, and you have a lot in common, then it can be VERY good! I think the right relationship is better than alone. No scientific data to agree with my assertion, just a gut feeling. But there is nothing worse than the loneliness of a shite relationship.

I have gotten it wrong 3 times, but still have hope. I have had a glimmer recently that this can be the case.

JK

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I have gotten it wrong 3 times, but still have hope. I have had a glimmer recently that this can be the case.

JK

JK, they don't have a rating for the fourth marriage; so maybe it's all good!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think it depends completely on the woman involved and who she links up with love wise.

I don't think it's necessary for happiness at all. After two divorces, I am gunshy. So many things can go wrong. I didn't marry Andy, which is probably a good thing.

I am with you on not raising girls to think they should be married. They need to find out who they are and develop themselves as individuals and careerwise. Marriage can sure throw a wrench in this for women.

• Robdar
    Robdar

No, marriage didn't give me happiness. But my child has brought me so much joy. It's been a pleasure watching him grow up. Wish I could have had him without being married.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Women need to get over the b.s. marketing that they have been force fed and indocrinated into believing. The whole "June Bride" crap needs to be flushed. Women from about 16 years of age on start reading the 4,000 page monthly magaizines about weddings and get enraptured by the marketing that their wedding day is "all about them". GAG!

Way to often I've been sickened by this false belief. It also puts incredible strain on a relationship. I've had two of my str8 buddies break off the entire thing because of the stress and unrealistic expectations of the wedding planning.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Personally, I don't believe marriage essential to a woman's happiness.

I was happy as a single woman, and now I'm a happily married one.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I've learned that it has a lot to do with social connections and what you were taught as a kid.

I was taught the same thing: get married out of high school and have kids.

I learned that for myself, I don't need a man to complete me.

I would like a couple of them to talk to and "play" with on occasion, friends.

I certainly don't want to live with anyone.

I feel just about complete within myself with my kids, religion/philosophy of life, friends, education and potential career.

My life is full.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit