Bethel! Is there anyone who DID NOT long to visit Bethel

by purpleplus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not once did I give a fxxx about visiting Beth Hell. They kept showcasing it, but I saw the video of it and was not impressed at visiting a factory where the littera-trash is printed. And, if anyone thinks those presses are fast, I challenge you to go to a printing press that prints your daily newspaper. That will make those pokey presses at Beth Hell seem very sluggish.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

My folks have offered to pay all my expenses if I would go with them on their every-other-year trip to NY and Bethel.

"Your father and I will pay for everything if you would just come once!"

I always tell them, sorry, not interested.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I will have to take the 5th here.

My friend's sister and family goes to "Mecca" every year like a pilgrimage.

Sounds a bit like creature worship to me.

Once, yeah. Twice, OK. Thrice, NEW PRINTING MACHINERY!!! WOW!!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have never had a desire to visit Bethel. I'd rather go to Disneyworld...the rides are better.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

Wow laundry department. AMAZING

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

We had several families in our hall that went every yr. on bus trips to Bethel . I never was interested , it was just not my idea of a vacation .

In the year 2000 a group of High School girls that graduated wanted to take the train to NY and see the city and Bethel . They asked me to go along as chaperone, because they knew I wouldn't be as stuffy as most adults . We had a good time , but I can tell you the truth that Bethel was definitly NOT the highlight of the trip .

We had a friend give us the tour and then we had lunch at the Columbia Heights bldg . My impression was it felt like a military installation . I was raised on Marine corp bases and it felt alot like my childhood experience . Guards at their posts watching everyone filing in the building .The mad rush to get to the tables , and where exactly were the smiles and happiest people on the Earth ? To me everyone seemed quite stressed ....the meal was anything but relaxing . The head of the table tried to make small talk with us ,but it was forced conversation and we felt as if we had to impress him by the connections we had through other witnesses . At that time I still was a believer , however I came away from that trip very disillusioned . One of the girls that was with us turned to me and said " Isn't this just like one big happy family " . I nearly slapped her , she was only parroting what others had said about Bethel . I was thinking 'only if your family all lives in prison '.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Nope. My peers were looking to volunteer at Bethel, and some did - one of them eventually helped with the first WTS Website, and others earlier wanted to join the writing department (one went, but I don't know what they ended up doing).

My mom was secretly pleased that whenever the possibility of volunteering came up, and my peers would get that glazed look in their eyes and say, Oh yes I can't wait to go! ...well, my mom's look seemed to say, Maybe I'm a little disappointed that you aren't quite so fanatical, but I'm glad you're not leaving!

Visit, as in a trip? NO ONE throughout the 60's or 70's ever even talked about it in my congos. I guess there were tours, but in those days in California it just wasn't in anyone's minds, at least not talked about in my presence.

I had been taught by my parents (unconscious apostates??) that feeling God within you was what was important about religion, not some Holy site in New York. Praise Jesus for that! I hadn't really realized that before...

In the 80's I remember seeing something about Bethel Tours in one of the magazines, apparently for the first time. By then I was clear this wasn't The Troof, so it made zero impact on me. But I think even today that seeing Patterson might be interesting.

Aude: Ouch! Horse bites can be wicked (and not in a worldly way)!

EDIT:

Troubled: "I nearly slapped her" - gee, that's how I felt after every meeting where someone related the brilliance of one of the speakers, or how the Awake was better than any college education...

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

My thoughts were if I'm going to waste all that money going to bethel.....

I'd rather have had a much needed holiday somewhere nice.

• HSS1971
    HSS1971

In the early 1990's, I forget the exact year, the bro I had a study with, arranged a visit to Brooklyn through Ralph Walls. Anyways, we toured the one hotel with the big painting on the wall, and the main building. I remember we passed by one room with numerous stacks of papers on a long boardroom type table and the guide said we could'nt go in there because the stacks of paper were District convention talks. We toured the printery and the best part was eating at the dining rooms. The food I have to admit was great. And the coffee was the best tasting coffee I ever tasted. I enjoyed my visit only because of the food and coffee.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was in for 31 years, it never crossed my mind to look at the printing presses.

I did go on a tour of the St. Petersburgh times. It reminded me of the Budwiser Bottling plant at Bush Gardens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit