Do You Believe It's Possible We Might Be In "The Time Of The End"?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

d.boon from Mass.

Are you still an elder? Were you in the Mass./NH border?

• d.boon
    d.boon

I am not an elder I am a ministerial servant, I live in eastern MA, NH is not to far away.

• PEC
    PEC

No, not a chance.

Philip

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Do You Believe It's Possible We Might Be In "The Time Of The End"?

NOPE!

• donny
    donny

Every generation since the time of Christ has had folks proclaiming it as part of the last days. Each generation always thinks things have gotten worse and life cannot go on much longer. If things had been getting worse at the rate people say, we should be nothing but a bunch of anarchist, murdering raping savages. In reality, history shows that humanity had gone through cycles of crime, pestilence and famine and I am sure that will be the case of our future. Even though most types of crime have going down over the past couple of decades, people still point out how bad things are getting.

One of the areas I hear people say has gotten much worse is sex crimes and crimes against children. However, when a little research is done, what is discovered is that the reporting of these crimes has become more common. My dad collected a bunch of Dallas area newspapers from the 1960's and 70's and a few years ago I was going through them and noticed that there were several articles on kids who were murdered or missing. These stories were just small articles on the front page or on the local section. Today, many of these might get national attention because of the way our various media types have become so much more intertwined.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Not in the least.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This is the dawning of the age of aquarius,

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

IS there and "END"?

Who knows; live for today

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Given the countless natural disasters that our ancestors experienced, it is no great mystery that many people fear an abrupt and catastrophic "end of the world" - I think it is in our DNA and collective cultural memory. Think of how often the theme of devastating catastrophe is touched on in popular culture, particularly movies, and the widespread appeal such movies tend to have. I think that religions like JW's attract people (like me) that are particularly sensitive to this fearful strand that runs through our cultural fabric.

Here in the USA, we've had such a good run of relative peace and prosperity that maybe we've come to feel that we're really special. God has blessed the USA I guess you'd say. But, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away. A nuclear meltdown, a terrorist attack, a massive volcano eruption, or a killer disease could wipe out most or all of us in a very short period of time. Enough events like this packed together in a short period of time and across a wide enough area could cause such a complete breakdown of civilization that the remaining humans (if there are any) would likely have to revert back to methods of survival that most humans haven't practiced for millenia.

The following is taken from an article in the New Yorker, I enjoyed the writing. Although the writer is speaking of us as individuals, I think it can be extrapolated to apply to our country, or even the entire world as we know it.

For the lucky few, there is reason to hope that life will be a business of evenly rationed suffering: stern parents perhaps, a few humiliations at school, then a love affair or two gone wrong, maybe a marriage broken. Our parents will die, and farther off, ideally deferred, will come our own steady demise. Plenty of suffering for a life, certainly, but most of us subsist on the plausible expectation that fortune will draw a circle around that personal portion, and that the truly unbearable—murder, rape, dead children, torture, war—will remain outside the cordon. Norman Rush, in his novel “Mortals,” calls this “hellmouth”: “the opening up of the mouth of hell right in front of you, without warning, through no fault of your own.” Without warning, and yet always feared. Job, whom God places into hellmouth to test him, knew that paradox: “For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.”
  • Blueblades
    Blueblades

No! All of the talk about the last days, the end times, etc. has been ongoing in many cults and offshoot groups and religions for centuries. Many have put their faith in that and have passed on without seeing it come about.

Science, Nature,and Man singularly or combined have the power to bring an end to civilization as we know it. It will have nothing to do with any books written about a religious idea.

Even if nuclear winter were to come in the future, nature will bounce back, life will go on, round and round it goes.

We all reach our own personal time of the end from sickness, old age, diseases, and accidents etc.

Down we go, into the ground. From there, there are all kinds of beliefs as to what happens next.

The End.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit