Why On Earth Did YOU Ever Become a JW???

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

My best friend was studying with them. We were both in our twenties and at a low point in our lives and questioning things together. I saw her change into a better person and was very impressed. I wanted that too so I allowed myself to be persuaded.

But really, in my heart of hearts, I couldn't stand the witnesses. I hated their badgering about studying with me but was too weak and "polite" to blow them off. I'm imbarrased about betraying myself and wasting 20 years with a bunch of people who didn't give a crap about me and visa versa.

The friend would eventually change again, this time to a crazy person who needs lots of meds and who shakes uncontrollably. She doesn't realize that the choice of becoming a JW is what is working on her psyche and making her mentally ill.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I was born in it. My parents were essentially born in it. I left when I was 18. It's a done deal.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wow!..We have alot of,born into the JW`s here.......I was raised in it,3rd generation....................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• Mary
    Mary

Had no choice.....like alot of others on here, I was born in......both my maternal and paternal grandmothers joined the Borg in the 1930s after listening to Rutherfraud on the radio. There's no way in hell I would have ever joined such a screwed up cult.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it was '88 and I was in my twenties. A friend of mine and his soon to be wife were in and seemed happy. I needed a new social scene and this seemed to fit the bill along with some spiritual enlightenment. It was amazing how I gave this organization more and more control over my life.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I was just off a bad divorce from an abusive man who kept me separated from friends and family to isolate me...so in my efforts to find new people to fill my life I ran into a JW in a club...we were sleeping together and "studying" LOL! And I had something to do every weekend with a ton of people with all this stuff in common. So becoming one seemed like a small thing to keep my new social life.

I was desperate and naive. I think that maybe there are a lot of singles, a lot of divorcees, a lot of single parents, and lonely people who come into the organization for the same reasons I did.

I wouldnt change it though...I have the most amazing three kids that I got because of the choices I made 24 years ago, and wouldnt change ANY of it if it meant I wouldnt have them. :)

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I hear ya. I was fresh out of a long relationship and I was in shambles. I was trying to separate myself from my old druggie musician friends. I had just cleaned up and starting to take on more responsible employment.

• donny
    donny

Everytime I see this thread I have to answer.

I'm still kicking my ass for becoming a JW!

Quriky I feel the same way. I really hate the ten years I was part of the Society machine and the turmoil I put my parents and non-JW friends through. I had many close friends and associates and I lost contact with most of them during my decade of dumbassedness. One thing I did get from this experience is that I will never align myself to or join any religion ever again!

• nbernat
    nbernat

Born into it. . .third generation. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit