Why On Earth Did YOU Ever Become a JW???

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Converted from Baptist religion - should have thrown them both out!

Was baptized 1 month before my 21st birthday. Thought I was doing God's will.

Sylvia

• chickpea
    chickpea

lost a dearly loved and sorely missed brother to AIDS in may 89 (michael paul)
    lost a son, my stray-away child, in a late second trimester miscarriage in apr 90 (paul benjamin)

i was low hanging fruit

despair and anguish
    was saturating my life

and then they assured me
    that in just a very short time
    ( practically now, or very soon thereafter)
    god would wipe away every tear...
    and death would be no more.....

low hanging fruit

dragged a 4 yo and a 1 yo
    in with me, had 2 born in

everyone has escaped...
    we all have our scars to bear
    but thankfully, no mortal wounds

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'll give the short version. I was just plain, f*cking stooopid.

W

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I was told there would be free candy! ha ha ha nah Born in to it

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I just left the drug scene and was trying to "clean" up my life. Seemed like a honest, clean start and they were a welcoming group that had all the answers. I was vulnerable.

Me too, and I wanted to be accepted by my mom and brother. Plus a jw guy promised to "take me away" and marry me. He did, and it was pure hell.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I was just plain, f*cking stooopid.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Converted from Baptist religion - should have thrown them both out!

Was baptized 1 month before my 21st birthday. Thought I was doing God's will.

Sylvia

Snowbird---we must be twins.....I converted from Baptist....was baptised just before my twenty-first birthday...I too thought I was doing God's will.....they seemed to have all the answers.....I really wanted to live in a paradise and a peaceful earth where no one would have to die.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I really wanted to live in a paradise and a peaceful earth where no one would have to die.

Same here. Plus, I wanted all others to have the same hope. Nearly wore myself out trying to reach as many people as possible.

Sylvia

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression. My former stepmother was having a bible study one day. Something about Jesus was mentioned. I felt like I could get happiness from Jesus so I took up with them.

• donny
    donny

I was brought up in an atomsphere of "all religions are basically good and have the same goal" and when I began dating my ex-wife, I discovered she was a backslidden JW as she called it. After we were married she began attending meetings again with me in tow and I just did not do enough research at the time and ended up joining via baptism a year later. I feel like David Reed said on an audio tape regarding his JW experience, "I still look in the mirror each morning to examine the hole in my head where my brains leaked out."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit