The CO asked for more contributions

by outofthebox 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks for the wonderful news OOTB! This must mean that Armageddy is really, really, super-closer than ever now!

Recalling my days in Bethel, I have no doubt that they have spent themselves into a huge hole that all the property in B'klyn can't get them out of. Patterson and Wallkill are less expensive to build than Brooklyn, but extremely expensive to maintain, and impossible to sell. Imagine the expense of the printing facilities in Nigeria, which are out in the middle of nowhere, requiring fuel and paper continuously? I think donations are drying up fast worldwide. The elimination of the Cong Barf Study is in the hope that the R&F will donate their gas money to the bOrg. Guess again boys...

So, I ask y'all on JWD... Should we start spreading the rumor locally that the Society has plenty o' cash from their real estate sales to last forever? And tell all the dubs that the noolite is to eat, drink, rest, and enjoy the last of their money now before the big A? ...Oh, and tell them to ignore the next CO visit?

B the X

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Mary said:

Plus, I think alot of older Dubs are leaving their estates to the Organization, along with cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, jewellry, etc.

I know that they have gotten a lot that way. However, I've seen that many dubs leave stuff to the local congregation rather than the bOrg. So, the individual cong, such as happened here locally, spends it on a new roof, for example. The locals instead spend their money on fun. Just don't tell the CO, okay...

Remember several years ago, the bOrg started the Planned Giving arrangement. Legal Dept arranged for some brothers with big bucks experience to travel around and meet with rich dubs and explain how they could donate to the bOrg and get super tax deductions/avoidance. It immediately yielded big dividends. However, you can't keep shaking down the same ones over and over. Consequently, I believe they snatched assets from the R&F early and are left with less left to grab at now.

No doubt, this summer's DCs will see the lowest return yet with the increasing price of fuel, food, rooming. Unfortunately, window-washers haven't been getting big raises, have they?

B the X

• parakeet
    parakeet

New addition (edited) to the dub songbook:

"Money Makes the World Go 'Round"

"If you haven't any coal in the stove
    And you freeze in the winter
    And you curse on the wind
    At your fate.
    When you haven't any shoes
    On your feet
    And your coat's thin as paper
    And you look thirty pounds
    Underweight.
    When you go to get a word of advice
    From the fat little pastor
    He will tell you to love evermore.

That clinking
    Clanking sound of
    Money money money money money money
    Money money money money money money

Is all that makes
    The world go 'round."

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    Remember several years ago, the bOrg started the Planned Giving arrangement. Legal Dept arranged for some brothers with big bucks experience to travel around and meet with rich dubs and explain how they could donate to the bOrg and get super tax deductions/avoidance.

Billy, I certainly remember this arrangement being announced and discussed. Even while I was a loyal Witness, I found this arrangement to be downright tawdry. To me, it sounded eerily reminiscent of the televangelists who liked to grope for their follower's wallets. However, I was naive to expect the Watchtower to be on some higher plane of spirituality. They are afterall, another religion with a clergy and laity.

I just got to thinking that it is a shame that they disfellowshipped Michael Jackson. He could have left his estate to the Watchtower as well. I'm sure the Neverland Ranch with its monkeys and flamingos would have provided the Watchtower with a healthy dose of cash.

They better begin hitting up Prince before he gets disfellowshipped as well.

• StAnn
    StAnn

A. Haven't they always bragged that they have a contribution box instead of a collection plate to make the giving anonymous? Now the elders are ordered to make a "showy display of [their] means of life" by dropping big, obvious contributions into the box in order to inspire the others? Hypocrites and liars.

B. Someone in my mom's KH (an elderly woman who had never married and had no living relatives) recently left her estate to the local KH. They've sold her farm for $350,000. Will the local cong. get to keep that money or will the new rules about not holding funds in local accounts but rather sending them to Mother apply to this $350K? Maybe they can send it to Mother and then borrow it back in small, interest-free increments as needed. What a loving provision!

C. They allegedly cancelled the Book Study because of gas prices, i.e., lightening the financial burden on the R&F. Now they're complaining revenues are down? Seems like they'd have waited at least until the BS was stopped before demanding that Dubs hand over their surplus gasoline funds. Now we know exactly why they eliminated the BS, don't we? To make the JWs so grateful for the "consideration" that they'll be too stupid to realize that sending their gas money to the WTS isn't actually saving them any money.

StAnn

• blondie
    blondie

They even have a brochure for planned giving.

*** w98 11/1 p. 27 "God Loves a Cheerful Giver" ***As the term "planned giving" implies, these types of donations typically require some planning on the part of the donor. To assist individuals desiring to benefit the Society through some form of planned giving, the Society has prepared an English-language brochure entitled PlannedGivingtoBenefitKingdomServiceWorldwide. The brochure was written in response to the many inquiries the Society has received regarding gifts, wills, and trusts. It also contains additional useful information on estate, financial, and tax planning. And it is designed to help individuals in the United States who are planning to make a special gift to the Society now or to leave a bequest at death to select the most advantageous and efficient method in the light of their family and personal circumstances.

After reading the brochure and conferring with the Planned Giving Desk, many have been able to assist the Society and at the same time, maximize the tax benefits of doing so. The Planned Giving Desk should be informed of and receive a copy of any relevant document pertaining to any of these arrangements. Those interested in a brochure or in any of these planned giving arrangements should contact the Planned Giving Desk, either in writing or by telephone, at the address listed below or at the Society’s office that serves your country.

Planned

GivingDesk

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania

100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563-9204

Telephone: (914) 878-7000

(This arrangement was first mentioned in 1994 in the WT)

• sir82
    sir82

A few years back, back when there was a separate meeting for all the elders in conjunction with the Circuit Assmbly (not the rubber-stamp "business meeting", but one usually lasting 2 or 3 hours), the DO was saying something similar - that elders should "set an example" in giving contributions.

He recommended $50 as a contribution for the assembly we were attending.

Me being a dumb cluck and easily intimidated, I didn't have the nerve to ask how an elder is supposed to "set an example" for the rest of the congregation without going around saying "Hey, know how much I put in the contribution box? Fifty bucks! So how much are you going to put in?"

Idiots.

By the way, this was a foreign language circuit, with most people attending from 100, 200, or more miles away, and so were already spending hundreds of dollars just to attend the bounteous spiritual feast...not to mention that most of those in attendance worked at low-paying jobs.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

More proof that this is just a business and elders/MS's are lower managers.
    They pride themselves on taking no collections, but tell the managers to
    lead by example. That's virtually a collection plate passing. "If your cong.
    doesn't give enough, you give enough. Let us tell you when it's 'enough'."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I bet this is another scam from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. Tell them that the congregations are in trouble. Send letters to the hounder-hounders to the effect, and hope the witlesses start putting more money into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

• oompa
    oompa

no wonder they miss me.................oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit