The CO asked for more contributions

by outofthebox 56 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And to usurp the governments so they can plunge the whole world into the Second Dark Ages.

• chickpea
    chickpea

maybe instead of cash or check,
    follow the example of the JWs
    who left a tract instead of a tip.....
    ( an earlier thread ...)

be warm and well-fed, wankers

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I believe that what hurts them the most is the taboo they have created around asking for money.

They should have never given up on selling the literature. Rather, they should have simply factored the taxes into the price of the books. By not asking a certain amount for the books (and demanding at the literature counter) they have allowed people to think they are getting something for nothing. Even worse for them is the fact that this model is now the 'standard'. Young JWs who never sold the magazines find it strange to think of a time when they were for sale. If the WTS actually did require the literature be paid for it would rock the foundation of the taboo they have created.

So overall, I think they are way to sensitive on the issue of donations. They have created an atmosphere in which people view giving almost as something dirty.

I think eventually we are going to see something like 'suggested donations' for literature or something like that.

• undercover
    undercover
    The letter basically said: "The contributions are down and there is more people in the congregation. So, what's going on!!!?. You are the leaders so give the example and let the brothers see you putting something in the contribution box".

Back when I was an MS - way back - something similar happened, 'cept not a letter from the GB, just the CO himself being an ass. Our congregation was having a hard time getting the publishers to pony up to make repairs to the hall. The CO came around and was not happy that the work had not been done and he was going to give a bad report on KH appearance and repair to his superiors.

When we had the elder/MS meeting he asked what the deal was. When a couple of elders tried to explain that the money wasn't there, the CO looked around and said (paraphrased), "I see 12 brothers here...all gainfully employed...all not wanting. You should set the example to the rest and reach deep and come up with the money. Even without the rest of the congregation chipping in, you brothers alone can afford the repairs. When I come back, it better be repaired..."

Just another one of those enlightening moments in a back room meeting with higher ups that made me see that this was more business than religion.

• Troggle
    Troggle

If memory serves me correctly it's only in the states that the literature is given away. The reason they did was because they wanted to avoid paying taxes. If the figured in the tax price then they would have had to pay that tax. Which in turn would have taken away thier religious exception and then they would have been paying taxes on all the real estate and vehicles and other crap they own. I could be wrong though, but, I do remember an elder disscussing it with another elder in the car in feild service once. It grabbed my attention away from staring in space a wishing I was at home watching cartoons

• sir82
    sir82
    If memory serves me correctly it's only in the states that the literature is given away.

It started in the US only, in about 1990 or 1991 or so.

Eventually, as of 2000? 2002? Sometime not so long ago, the contribution-only program was introduced world-wide.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This happened once before - I believe that it was in the mid-to-late 70s.

Two events triggered it: First, the obvious decline and slow-down of activity (and contributions) surrounding the 1975 failure.

But, there was also a fiscal reason made by the Society itself. They chose this very time of weakness to alter the printing methods to Offset and to computerize the typesetting from the old linotypes. It was expensive, even by WTS standards.

Our CO, and from what I can tell, others - were giving "encouraging talks to each congregation" on "what the Society is doing with computers", and how the big new IBM contract was a "miracle from Jehovah, blah blah blah". Each person was instructed to do "whatever they could to help in this important work". Only later did we discover from insiders what a colossal effort this was, and some say a near-failure with many false starts.

Other subtle things happened - we used to have a large number of special events (not exactly Society controlled, but halls were rented, guest speakers from U.S. or foreign Bethels were invited in and wined and dined, etc.). This was summarily axed - it was not in line with the Society plans, and was costing good money. Also, about this time I noticed a distinct cheapening of the food service at the assemblies, and a real push to rent the very cheapest facilities for them. Accounts at the assembly - usually just a matter of keeping count - became a real drag. It seemed that the society always had it's hand out (in the guise of the District Overseer, usually) and we had better well make ends meet.

Marion Dunlap was always the Circuit Assembly accounts servant for the assemblies, and he commented to me more than once how disappointing it was to see the society abandon it's former "never solicit contributions from the brothers" policy.

• TheListener
    TheListener

The WTS has a lot of real estate money but it's all tied up in the property. They do sell properties to get a cash infusion but they can only do that on a limited basis.

They need liquid cash and the best place for them to get it is from the individual dubs around the world.

Perhaps we will see the WTS decentralize the headquarters staff even more. Less brick and mortar and more online technology.

This could go hand in hand with online literature that the dubs print off for themselves. That would push printing costs waaaaaaaaay down.

If they only needed white collar office space, they could also get rid of the need to house people full-time. Perhaps expanding the commuter bethelite program where you live nearby and commuter to bethel for work each day. They could begin a slow shift to regular 40 hour a week office workers (qualified dubs only) from the live-in bethelites that we've all come to know.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I started a new topic with my above post:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/161708/1.ashx

• blondie
    blondie

*** yb01 p. 18 Highlights of the Past Year ***Another factor in reaching more people with the good news has been the simplified literature distribution arrangement. Jehovah has blessed the faith shown by his servants in this matter. The voluntary donation arrangement is explained to people, but no charge is made for the literature. As of January 2000, that arrangement was extended to all lands where it was not already in operation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit