How Can people talk to Children like that....

by Hope4Others 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I was coming out of the grocery store with a few items, and a round the corner comes a woman with 2 young

boys about 7 or 8. She seemed a little clutsey, she raises her voice, the whole damn parking lot could of heard.

They were walking a head of her, She says "If you trip me Boy, your going to sit in the truck all day." It might not seem

like a lot but Geez its 29 degrees celsius and extremely humid. How does that make a kid feel? My heart sunk, I felt so bad for those boys, am I just getting

too soft?

hope4others

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

A couple of weeks ago I heard the mother of a five year old threaten to lock him in the freezer if he didn't behave.

She said it in a joking way......................... but thats no joke to a five year old.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

I think it isn't fair to judge people on the basis of one expression or even a brief fit of anger. We all mispeak, and sometimes we're more edgy than usual. Raising boys these days is no picnic. They see what other boys do at school, and they copy their bad conduct. The job of control sometimes requires the presence of two parents. Additionally, I've seen parents lose their temper with their boys and then apologize later. That can happen to any of us, whether dealing with unruly kids or unreasonable grownups.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

A freezer thats even worse...how does a kid grow up with a mother the bellows like that. I hardly doubt it

is a close relationship...more like I want out of this house. I know people tend to be short when its hot out,

but still the actions sink in for a long time.

h40

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I have to say..."gimme a break".....if you heard the things I said to my kids...like..."you wanna be adopted..." what would you think?

• Casper
    Casper

Hope,

I feel the same, when out and about, and I hear someone really putting their kids down, or threatening them.

It breaks my heart to see the look on their little faces.

Cas

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It always sounds worse when we don't know the extended circumstances. My therapist told me most parents have times when they are exasperated and say inappropriate things. And who knows, maybe the kids have been driving her crazy lately or she spent three months last year in a cast. Julia told me that when Julian pushes my buttons and I find myself over reacting, to catch myself and tell him, "Okay, we've let this go too far. Let's calm down and discuss it later."That is if it still needs to be discussed.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Wow! you guys are passing pretty harsh judgement don't you think? I've said to my kids things like "If you don't watch you mouth you'll be picking your teeth up off the floor", "don't make me smack the living shite out of you".

We have a great relationship, they talk to me and hubby. We are and have always been very active in their lives and love them to death. But we also don't take any crap off of them, never dealt with temper tantrums in public and didn't have to deal with back talk and smart ass mouths.

Try not to be so judgemental on how a parent speaks to their child when you only see a milisecond in their lives.

nj

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I believe thats true we don't know the extended circumstances, and I realise kids do push your limits at times, just

that there is a time and place to get after them for behavior and its not in the public eye.

h40

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I don't know hope, I disagree. With kids you gotta get them straight when it's happening. Waiting until you get home is like giving them a free pass to talk or act in whatever way they want. They tend to forget or at least have selective amnesia about things.

Everyone is entitled to have their opinions but in my case with raising 3 boys, no way would I sweet talk them or let them get aways with bad behavior just because other people were around.

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit